Looks great! I found two spelling errors in territory names:

Philippines
    Turkey

2. #42 / 72
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

nevermind. closed. it looks awful with any fewer than 16 people playing at one time. back to the drawring board.

... danger zone! ...

3. #43 / 72
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

...Turkey?

It's a trap!

4. #44 / 72
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: ...Turkey?

I put the correct spellings in my previous post.  I think they had been spelled:

Philipines

Turky

Edited Fri 16th Apr 08:30 [history]

5. #45 / 72
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

A couple of comments graphically:

- I think the blurred effect doesn't work. Sharper border and lower banner, sharper continent bonus numbers, sharper continent borders would all work better.

- You can get rid of 80% of the sea-border lines. They clutter things up, and most people know or will figure out quickly what connects to what. For those you must keep, like Western US to Japan* or Chile to New Zealand, maybe try dashed instead of solid lines.

- I like the current background colors to denote the continents, though I think you should make them the player colors.

- The wider space between territories could instead be a wider space between continents, thereby eliminating the need for color-coding bonuses (which IMO looks bad pretty much every time). Territories within a continent would directly abut each other.

*I think Hawaii would be a good addition in the middle of that border.

6. #46 / 72
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote: A couple of comments graphically:

- You can get rid of 80% of the sea-border lines. They clutter things up, and most people know or will figure out quickly what connects to what. For those you must keep, like Western US to Japan* or Chile to New Zealand, maybe try dashed instead of solid lines.

Hahahaha.

I've tried depending on the "these borders are fairly obvious" play before, and every time it results in people complaining that they have to check the details page or they lose because they couldn't or wouldn't figure it out.

Also, see: Rent is Due Debacle

This would just become the next board bounced by the review committee.

... danger zone! ...

7. #47 / 72
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I agree, you have to show sea borders, especially if you show one then all are expected and if they're not then that would make it seem like they are not present (much like when working with territories connected at corners)

8. #48 / 72
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

- I like the current background colors to denote the continents, though I think you should make them the player colors.

What? If the colors of lines or fill on the map are the same as the player colors, then you can't tell anything apart once the game is in play.

If you're referring to the filled areas inside territories which denote the sub-continents, then those aren't the fill layer. They have a thinnish transparent ring around them which shows through to the fill layer. Load the map into your board creator and use the "fill" button to see what I mean. Or make the board image transparent to see what the fill layer looks like.

That is the source of my unhappiness with the map, actually, so it's getting redone, anyway. There are too many lines of too many different colors when you make the fill area appear as a ring around another color, and a game in play is pretty much impossible to look at. I'm taking the map to a more traditional fill the territory area with player colors and ring the subcontinents with something else to denote sub-continents.

... danger zone! ...

9. #49 / 72
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:
    Kjeld wrote:

What? If the colors of lines or fill on the map are the same as the player colors, then you can't tell anything apart once the game is in play.

That suggestion was meant to be considered along with the suggestion of eliminating color-coding for continent bonuses. I just meant that if you eliminated color-coding, you should keep those colors as the player colors.

10. #50 / 72
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: I agree, you have to show sea borders, especially if you show one then all are expected and if they're not then that would make it seem like they are not present (much like when working with territories connected at corners)

Fair enough. Maybe a dotted line, though? I'm just not sure about the solid lines.

11. #51 / 72
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:
    Yertle wrote: I agree, you have to show sea borders, especially if you show one then all are expected and if they're not then that would make it seem like they are not present (much like when working with territories connected at corners)

Fair enough. Maybe a dotted line, though? I'm just not sure about the solid lines.

Lucky for you, you don't have to be. :)

... danger zone! ...

12. #52 / 72
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:
    Cramchakle wrote:
    Kjeld wrote:

That suggestion was meant to be considered along with the suggestion of eliminating color-coding for continent bonuses. I just meant that if you eliminated color-coding, you should keep those colors as the player colors.

Ok. Makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying.

... danger zone! ...

13. #53 / 72
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I have one that's not too close to being done... I can make it hordes if there's already going to be a standard bonus extended world map.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/869

14. #54 / 72
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

It looks like Cram is incapable of making the standard old boring extended world map that I really want, he insists on trying to be innovative and artsy. Why not make yours old and boring non-hordes? Besides it might be released before I'm dead. (ducks rake)

-John Hancock-

15. #55 / 72
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That texture could potentially look really nice.

It's a trap!

16. #56 / 72
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Updated to see fill.

17. #57 / 72
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ok, it's back open. Far more easy on the eyes. Still a few continent issues holding over from the previous revision, but those should be cleared up today. Also, I'm aware of some minor fill issues related to island changes. I'll clean those up when I can.

... danger zone! ...

18. #58 / 72
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

19. #59 / 72
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I have one that I created several years ago for a video game version of risk:
    here it is http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/839.

I can certainly put some time into it if anyone is interested or I can leave it on the back burner, which is where it has been for months. I have a couple of other boards in the works (Nygma has seen them) and I will probably get them to public beta in the next month.

20. #60 / 72
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)