178 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123456   (6 in total)
  1. #1 / 113
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

How much would it cost to advertise on facebook for wargear?

2. #2 / 113
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd throw down for that, assuming it was something that looked to have some chance of being at all effective.

It's a trap!

3. #3 / 113
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

http://www.facebook.com/advertising/?src=fbcc

I think thats a good idea. its a big market.

The risk app "Attack" for facebook has around 66,000 plus players. i quickly checked their forums and there seems to be a lot of discontent floating around. reminds me of some other site.

4. #4 / 113
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

That's a good idea - I have been running some google advertising but it's not especially cost effective. I hadn't really thought about doing Facebook advertising but I'll look into the costs. What's the URL for the FB Attack! forums Risky?

5. #5 / 113
    Deceit by Design Wallace Wishmaster
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Speaking of advertising, creating a tournament on a competitor's site to advertise wargear may not be the best approach. {#emotions_dlg.nono} 

6. #6 / 113
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Did that happen? That's super un-classy.

It's a trap!

7. #7 / 113
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i thought it kinda funny actually. un-classy, yes. but funny nonetheless.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

8. #8 / 113
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I could see it being acceptable if framed the right way. For example, today it seems that playing WF games is impossible due to a server error. To let people know "hey, we're still playing games over on wargear.net and it's totally fun! Check it out!" would be, for example, way cooler than "hey everybody this WF site is total #### and everything here ####### ######, wargear.net is way better so join us and #### this ####". Just for instance.

It's a trap!

9. #9 / 113
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

It was me... I named a tournament www.wargear.net, and in the tournament message wrote something to the effect of "Hey guys, I'm now over at wargear and we could use some more people so I'm shamelessly advertising..." I'd get you an exact quote, but WF has been giving me a "500 Internal Server Error" all day. I didn't bash WF, I just think it would be nice to have a few more players over here. StepOnMe is trying it out, and I don't really see the harm in trying something new. If my friend ate the same meal everyday, I don't think it's wrong to suggest him try a new food. If he doesn't like it, he can always go back to eating the original... Then again walking into McDonalds and suggesting everybody follow me to Wendy's isn't a classy move, agreed.

10. #10 / 113
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure I'd go so far as "unclassy".  Just something that brought me over to give Edward a ribbing.

11. #11 / 113
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I appreciate the support EN but I don't think it's a great idea to be advertising on the competitition's sites - it's one thing that's guaranteed to stir up bad feeling between players and admins.

12. #12 / 113
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Sounds good, sorry guys. If I could delete the tournament I would.

13. #13 / 113
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Does that include one's profile page?

I'm a shit-perturber.

14. #14 / 113
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I felt dirty the other day for leaving a comment on a player I like from WF to come over. This is my own self-imposed sense of guilt on the situation which I think myself and maybe some others need to shed (while not crossing the line).

Thinking back on WF's initial semi-viral success, it hinged quite a bit on invites. When I didn't have a membership, I was excited to get a non-Risk invite and ultimately it led to dishing out money for the right to the harder drugs. So, if we want our WF and other friends to come over, I think we need to be sending out more e-mail invites, _especially_ when a new badass map is released here.

Funny comment BTW EN - hopefully tom allows tournament deletion :)

15. #15 / 113
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Getting more sheep to the site should be top priority, once the site is ready. I think the site is ready enough to start recruiting. I went to conquerclub's forums and my face exploded when I saw the size and involvement of the community. We need that.

I know, patience.

16. #16 / 113
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote: So, if we want our WF and other friends to come over, I think we need to be sending out more e-mail invites, _especially_ when a new badass map is released here.

Bingo. Problem is I've already done the "invite everyone" thing for WF. Those who stayed on might at best split time between the WF and WG. Those who tried WF a few times and weren't hooked are unlikely to try again. Alpha and a few regulars were enticed to try WG for Spy vs Spy; now they split time between the two sites.

We need fresh blood.

17. #17 / 113
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, I dunno really how to handle it. It's sort of tragic in a way, WF is so pathetic. I don't know how many of you still bother to look at the WF forums ever, but it's back to more of the same. Steven got Doom and Theep to pump up the amazing new surprises super hard and then it turned out to be no more than the beginnings of some promising developments in the Designer, and then... he's gone again. He's posted like once in the last month to apologize for having taken the server down all day, which as you can imagine resulted in another wave of stuck games, which are all going without response. I clicked into one stuck game and in the in-game chat another guy is going "yeah, this happens to me a lot, we're probably just going to have to all surrender if we want to finish the game." And it's pathetic. And I want to tell these people to come over here. But... you know?

It's a trap!

18. #18 / 113
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I really held out hope for WF when the new flash designer tool was released in beta a while back. I even made a map using the new tool to help Theep and Steven test it, and offered my feedback. However, it's been a full month since I've heard anything about the tool.

It's hard to stay positive about the site when nothing ever happens. The site was down for over a day a few days ago, and nary a word heard about it (especially not an advance warning). Repeated pleas along the lines of Wallace Wishmaster's recent post seem to go unanswered. Promises and long lists of potential improvements are simply not backed up by any discernible action.

Just for fun, I checked out the support discussion. This was my personal favorite support discussion, where an entire tournament froze up because the board doesn't load properly. The final reply from the admins was,

"No reply has been given.

Topic is now closed.
    Theep"

I checked out the tournament, and it still doesn't work, but the admins have declared the problem "resolved". Brilliant. It's almost like something out of the Hitchhiker's Guide, except no where can you find anyone to apologize for the inconvenience.

19. #19 / 113
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

I really held out hope for WF when the new flash designer tool was released in beta a while back. I even made a map using the new tool to help Theep and Steven test it, and offered my feedback.

You're too trusting. That looked just like business as usual to me - promising to fulfill everybody's wildest fantasies without any recognition of what was actually possible or any attempt to prioritize important OR easy fixes and going off half-baked to blow everyone away with a huge surprise that was mostly pointless. While the day-to-day running of the site slowly grinds down.

Sometime go to the WF home page and watch the activity scroller. Remember when it first came out and you'd be watching it and then some game would come up that you wanted to look at, but it was moving so fast you couldn't quite click the right game in time? Yeah.

In a way it's a good thing that Steven DOESN'T integrate the forums into the site or even post a link to them on the main page. It's quite obvious to me that he's simply lost interest in running Warfish and has had for some time. If more people were aware of/active in the forums, the collapse would be all the quicker. It's pretty classless of him to try to play out the string like this just to squeeze out some extra bucks from a site that he's given up on. You'll notice that another incredibly easy fix that has never quite materialized is the "weekly" drawings for free memberships that went almost a year without being updated and are now 6 months behind.

It's a trap!

20. #20 / 113
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Well, I stopped doing the wargear thing when my initial premium membership expired. It's just hard to start over. Maybe Tom will grant me a year free membership if I port my boards, which will be no small task :P
    Regarding WF, I've been keeping an eye out for any suspicious new iPhone apps.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456   (6 in total)