211 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Standard Member Majorie Taylor Greene
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Has there ever been a vote on this or are there options to join games where vacation modes aren’t allowed. They definitely shouldn’t be allowed in tournaments. Someone give me a counter argument for why 63 other players in a tournament can be at the mercy of holiday seekers. Totally curious about this. Not trying to ruffle feathers.

2. #2 / 15
    Standard Member agwyvern
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Majorie Taylor Greene wrote:Has there ever been a vote on this or are there options to join games where vacation modes aren’t allowed. They definitely shouldn’t be allowed in tournaments. Someone give me a counter argument for why 63 other players in a tournament can be at the mercy of holiday seekers. Totally curious about this. Not trying to ruffle feathers.

No feathers ruffled :-)

Tournaments typically run for weeks (rarely) to several months (commonly) and over a year (rarely).

Vacation status is a perk available to players who are helping keep the site running by buying subscriptions. It's a nice perk :-)

If vacations were not allowed in tournaments, then that would pretty much make the perk useless.

And... I *think* vacation status is limited to two weeks total per year (or is it per quarter?) --- while it is a bit of an annoyance when a vacation impacts a tourney game, it's not *that* onerous in the grand scheme of things. The delay is relatively minor compared to the tourney length.

3. #3 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Also, a single person's vacation is very unlikely to hold up the entire tournament - most likely it will hold up one game, and other games will continue in parallel, but I guess depending on the type of tournament and the progression of that tournament it's possible for one vacation to hold up a lot of other players.

Also MTG - Check under your settings->preferences for this setting:

Change this setting if you would like to be able to play multiple rounds (games) in a tournament at the same time.

And set the value higher if you want to be able to play in multiple games at once in a tournament to help the tournament move faster and decrease the chance that you will be held up by a lone vacation.

4. #4 / 15
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Majorie Taylor Greene wrote:Has there ever been a vote on this or are there options to join games where vacation modes aren’t allowed. They definitely shouldn’t be allowed in tournaments. Someone give me a counter argument for why 63 other players in a tournament can be at the mercy of holiday seekers. Totally curious about this. Not trying to ruffle feathers.

I believe OP would feel differently once her teammates in tournament games started getting skipped and booted. smh

"Just sayin', it's easy to get humble around here."

5. #5 / 15
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

the OP didn't mention anything about skipping/booting, only about holding up a tourney for those that are using vacation mode. teammates getting skipped/booted is a whole other topic.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 15
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:the OP didn't mention anything about skipping/booting, only about holding up a tourney for those that are using vacation mode. teammates getting skipped/booted is a whole other topic.

OP posted vacation doesn't belong in tournaments, people get skipped and booted when not allowed to use vacation when unable to take turns?? Pointing out something the OP may not have considered since they hadn't played many tourney games.

"They definitely shouldn’t be allowed in tournaments."

But hey, I was being kind.

7. #7 / 15
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

fair enough!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 15
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I personally would have to choose between getting skipped or never playing tournaments if I didn't have vacation time. They just last too long and sometimes take a long time to start. For normal games, there is a chance I could time them to all wind down before a vacation, but that would be extremely hard to do with most tournaments.

9. #9 / 15
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

If that was the case I probably wouldn't have bought my 5 year membership back in the day.

10. #10 / 15
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Many of us use vacation time as a safety net during travel or other busy times, especially if the tournament uses 1 or 2 day turn limits. I could be wrong, but it seems unusual for a player to really be off the site for a full week or two. In those cases, the player usually gives a small courteous message to the team/games in progress.

Most of the time that I'm in "vacation" mode, I'm still playing every 24-36 h; however, I don't have to worry about being skipped if I miss checking in. Also, if I have many alternative plays to consider on a board I don't usually play, I can wait until the next time I have a large window of time from family/work. I believe that I am more apt to use 'vacation' if I'm in a tournament, because I'd be letting others down if I were skipped/booted.

I don't have a problem with folks setting up 'no vacation' tournaments. I wont play them, like I try to avoid 1 day turn limits--I like that things slow down here on the weekends. Ultimately, losing a game because of a skip is just not fun for me. :)

Edited Tue 14th Feb 15:10 [history]

11. #11 / 15
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Spider wrote:Many of us use vacation time as a safety net during travel or other busy times, especially if the tournament uses 1 or 2 day turn limits. I could be wrong, but it seems unusual for a player to really be off the site for a full week or two. In those cases, the player usually gives a small courteous message to the team/games in progress

Same here

Most of the time that I'm in "vacation" mode, I'm still playing every 24-36 h; however, I don't have to worry about being skipped if I miss checking in. Also, if I have many alternative plays to consider on a board I don't usually play, I can wait until the next time I have a large window of time from family/work. I believe that I am more apt to use 'vacation' if I'm in a tournament, because I'd be letting others down if I were skipped/booted.

Same here

I don't have a problem with folks setting up 'no vacation' tournaments. I wont play them, like I try to avoid 1 day turn limits--I like that things slow down here on the weekends. Ultimately, losing a game because of a skip is just not fun for me. :)

Same here

12. #12 / 15
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Spider wrote:Many of us use vacation time as a safety net during travel or other busy times, especially if the tournament uses 1 or 2 day turn limits. I could be wrong, but it seems unusual for a player to really be off the site for a full week or two. In those cases, the player usually gives a small courteous message to the team/games in progress.

this

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 15
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

It should be noted (for future thread readers) that the actual issue here was not 63 other players in a tournament being at the mercy of a lone premium paying holiday seeker, as evidenced by the expression of gratitude by the OP in their subsequent post here, oops that's not it......

..... as evidenced by the explosion of 1v1 VIKINGR tourney games on the OP's games list just hours after Ozy's correct diagnosis of the problem. So, that was far and away the best counter argument, the others receive honorable mention.

My feathers were ruffled as I don't quite fathom how a standard member gets to decide how premium member uses something that they paid for to apply as they saw fit.

(I'll prolly get another ding from the guy with the pocket protector, but I don't care)

14. #14 / 15
    Standard Member Majorie Taylor Greene
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

hootz72 wrote:It should be noted (for future thread readers) that the actual issue here was not 63 other players in a tournament being at the mercy of a lone premium paying holiday seeker, as evidenced by the expression of gratitude by the OP in their subsequent post here, oops that's not it......

..... as evidenced by the explosion of 1v1 VIKINGR tourney games on the OP's games list just hours after Ozy's correct diagnosis of the problem. So, that was far and away the best counter argument, the others receive honorable mention.

My feathers were ruffled as I don't quite fathom how a standard member gets to decide how premium member uses something that they paid for to apply as they saw fit.
    (I'll prolly get another ding from the guy with the pocket protector, but I don't care)

Standard member goes premium, gains right to ask questions..

Lot of informative stuff here so thanks!

15. #15 / 15
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Hey, Hootz: Nice perspective. Thanks for alerting some of us who were wondering, 'What's up?" but were not able or (in my case) too lazy to look around. No 'dinging' needed for any sincere post.

MTG, keep posting. These discussion have value for future readers. Value we may not understand at the time. Value and rights are not allotted by member status.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)