1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 20
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've always been in the 'elimination streak stat has little value' camp, but with little in the way of empirical, much less statistical proof. My hypothesis was based on the thought that some boards simply lend themselves to elimination streaks more than others. Then it hit me as I was "cleaning up" a win on War of the Roses.

This board is proof, or at least a smoking gun. The only way to win is with an elim streak of every opponent!"

So all you have to do is join a couple of WotR games with 8 players, win two in a row and you're guaranteed a 14 player elim streak. It's because of the win mechanism. I designed the board before tom implemented "Win Conditions," which btw Ren Wars (WotR's sequel) does use. It turns out that winning on Ren Wars not only doesn't award multiple eliminations, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't award any eliminations, which also supports my point of view on the subject.

BTW, this is not a rant. I know a lot of folks like the stat. We're here to have fun. It's just my observation. If a healthy elim streak stat makes you happy, go for it.

2. #2 / 20
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Wouldn't that be true with any game where a win condition eliminates your opponents?

Rescue

Quantum Entanglement

More that I'm sure I can't think of right now?

3. #3 / 20
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm pretty sure that any game that uses anything other than the 'default' Win Condition does not eliminate all remaining opponents. QE does not use the default win condition; it uses the 'Capture Territory' win condition.

4. #4 / 20
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

On the other hand, some boards won't give eliminations at all. I have won seven games on Dejeweled but have zero eliminations there.

5. #5 / 20
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:On the other hand, some boards won't give eliminations at all. I have won seven games on Dejeweled but have zero eliminations there.

I'm wondering if a WIN on Dejeweled might actually stop a streak.

Edited Tue 25th Oct 16:22 [history]

6. #6 / 20
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:Litotes wrote:On the other hand, some boards won't give eliminations at all. I have won seven games on Dejeweled but have zero eliminations there.

I'm wondering if a WIN on Dejeweled might actually stop a streak.

No. I've tested that. It just doesn't increase. Only thing that ends an elimination streak is getting eliminated. Losing on Dejeweled also ends one, since you get eliminated by "neutral".

Edited Tue 25th Oct 19:06 [history]

7. #7 / 20
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

That also means that getting eliminated in a still ongoing game ends the streak potentially long before that game is over.

But a win streak survives you getting eliminated. That one only ends when you've lost a completed game.

8. #8 / 20
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

@M57 - Rescue would still fall under this category. It's a last-man-standing game. But you can't eliminate any employees during the game, just eliminate their cave hunters. But once someone has released all their own miners, then on their next turn, their tent lights up and they can attack from their tent to their opponents' tents, thereby eliminating them. So that one player gets 7 elims in a row to finish the game (assuming it's an 8P FFA game).

9. #9 / 20
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:@M57 - Rescue would still fall under this category. It's a last-man-standing game. But you can't eliminate any employees during the game, just eliminate their cave hunters. But once someone has released all their own miners, then on their next turn, their tent lights up and they can attack from their tent to their opponents' tents, thereby eliminating them. So that one player gets 7 elims in a row to finish the game (assuming it's an 8P FFA game).

Not sure why you assume an 8-man game, I checked your stats, you have 8 wins and 32 elims so clearly you favour 5-man games on that board :)

10. #10 / 20
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i think he was just saying you could easily get 7 elims for your streak in just one game on that board. (easily not referring to ease of winning, just of obtaining 7 immediate elims for one game)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Thu 27th Oct 17:44 [history]

11. #11 / 20
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:i think he was just saying you could easily get 7 elims for your streak in just one game on that board. (easily not referring to ease of winning, just of obtaining 7 immediate elims for one game)

That is true.

I remember trying to extend my elimination streak record and win streak record years ago but it's been a long time since I thought about it. Don't remember if I had any such boards in my 29 or not.

12. #12 / 20
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:i think he was just saying you could easily get 7 elims for your streak in just one game on that board. (easily not referring to ease of winning, just of obtaining 7 immediate elims for one game)

Yes, this is the crux of my OP

13. #13 / 20
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote: so clearly you favour 5-man games on that board :)

Absolutely true. Primarily becuase the more people in the game, the more likely it is that someone who knows what they are doing actually joins, and I get my butt handed to me on a silver platter.

14. #14 / 20
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:Litotes wrote: so clearly you favour 5-man games on that board :)

Absolutely true. Primarily becuase the more people in the game, the more likely it is that someone who knows what they are doing actually joins, and I get my butt handed to me on a silver platter.

Looks like you're right. I've played five 5-man and won three, four 6-man of which I won one, and four 8-man of which I won one. Definitely better at the 5-man.

15. #15 / 20
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

how are you finding out how many of which types of board - # of players or scenario (physically counting the games list of the particular board?)?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

16. #16 / 20
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Player profile > player stats tab

"Just sayin', it's easy to get humble around here."

17. #17 / 20
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Choose the board, then choose "ranking history", then "my ranking history". It only works for yourself, though. I can't access weathertop stats for this, but I can see Litotes stats.

Edited Mon 31st Oct 12:19 [history]

18. #18 / 20
    Standard Member erastus25
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

1) I completely agree. The elimination streak stat holds little value in terms of evaluating a player's skill.

2) With that said, I find it very fun to have around as a piece of whimsy. haha

19. #19 / 20
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

As an example of elimination streaks not being informative, Luieuil, the best big game player this site has had, has got a PB elimination streak of 5 (!). I have no idea how that happened. He's won oodles of games bigger than six players .

20. #20 / 20
    Standard Member Abraham the Mage
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Elimination streaks are weird. In a two person game, an opponents surrender counts as an elimination by you. What happens in a bigger game? Also, in chess clock style games (my preciousssss), even though it is frequently a strategy move to cause your opponent to use up their time and be booted, as of now, that is not an elimination. I've mentioned it on the forums before, so I'm not trying to rail from the pulpit or anything, but it IS weird when you compare it with surrenders.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)