189 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 40
    Premium Member Mad Bomber
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

I’d like to sponsor a new board making competition. I’ve done this in the past and we have been some super boards that came from it. I’d like the the theme to be nature based…we already did under the sea so….things like bugs, trees, flowers, or even way out there like space….100 bucks to the winner….50 for second and 30 for third….

any interest from the masters of creation?

i want equal amounts of blueberry's
    I play on any field of battle...not just three boards

2. #2 / 40
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm always interested. Nothing is coming to mind right now, but let me marinate on it.

Any more details? Time frame? Are you the sole judge? What sort of map are you looking for - anything you particularly like or don't like? i.e. 1v1 or big maps, small maps, etc.?

3. #3 / 40
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

boards done by the end of the year?

voting done by the players who participate in playing them all

any size/style board

4. #4 / 40
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote:I’d like to sponsor a new board making competition. I’ve done this in the past and we have been some super boards that came from it. I’d like the the theme to be nature based…we already did under the sea so….things like bugs, trees, flowers, or even way out there like space….100 bucks to the winner….50 for second and 30 for third….

Love this and would love to throw in an entry, but closing on a house with months of work to do so no way that could happen this year.

Definitely will be ready to play test anything anyone gets working on!

Awesome of you to host this MB and hope you get plenty of interest. You might want to PM some of the map makers directly just in case they don't see the post.

Like to play unique boards come join the Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

5. #5 / 40
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote:I’d like to sponsor a new board making competition. I’ve done this in the past and we have been some super boards that came from it. I’d like the the theme to be nature based…we already did under the sea so….things like bugs, trees, flowers, or even way out there like space….100 bucks to the winner….50 for second and 30 for third….

Love this and would love to throw in an entry, but closing on a house with months of work to do so no way that could happen this year.

Definitely will be ready to play test anything anyone gets working on!

Awesome of you to host this MB and hope you get plenty of interest. You might want to PM some of the map makers directly just in case they don't see the post.

Like to play unique boards come join the Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

6. #6 / 40
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I have a few ideas percolating that are related to Tom's recent Designer feature additions. Unfortunately most of them are 'battle' related ..but I'll give the theme some consideration. Then all I have to do is find some time to make it. Who knew how easy it is to overbook your retirement?

7. #7 / 40
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

desire is there; work clamped down and can't load the new designer on my work machine; and my home machine literally whines when i open too many chrome tabs, it doesn't like the designer being used either. if i figure out a way to get the designer to work, i'll try my hand.

otherwise, i'll help anyone else out (graphics, play-testing, etc)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 40
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

should throw together a post in General; with some examples from past competitions?

should clean this up and make it useful. *sigh* so many things i want to do, so little motivation to make them all happen...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Thu 26th May 15:04 [history]

9. #9 / 40
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

M57… nature can be all battle related, you want that cherry, you get that cherry

10. #10 / 40
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

The graphics part would be easy. I’d need to study up on the rest.

11. #11 / 40
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

MrPlaya. If you have some ideas, I'd be happy to help. I can just offer advice if you want to do most of it yourself, or we could collaborate on a map and you could do most of the graphics, and I could do most of the putting it together on wargear part.

I'm kind of drawing a blank on a nature themed map, so if someone has ideas they are not planning on using, please throw them out. I was thinking maybe something with this old snowflake chart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake#/media/File:Snowflakeschapte00warriala-p11-p21-p29-p39.jpg

But that's just a first thought, and I'm not sure where I'd go from there. For one thing, the snowflakes aren't think enough in the middle to put some numbers for unit counts.

12. #12 / 40
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm not super motivated to make a new board right now, but if anyone is looking for inspiration, I always thought that biogeochemical cycles might be a cool theme, like the Nitrogen Cycle, for example: https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/3-s2.0-B0122274105009406-gr1.jpg. Or the Carbon Cycle: https://ugc.berkeley.edu/background-content/carbon-cycle/.

Another idea is a phylogenetic tree of life, e.g. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Phylogenetic_tree_scientific_names.svg (this may not be the most accurate version, and there is quite a bit of debate about the precise positions and even whether a tree is an appropriate representation). Nonetheless, could be a fun basis, especially if it lets you attack along the tree with dice modifiers determined by "nearness" of genetic relationship.

13. #13 / 40
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

does a board around Spice of Life & Shai- haulud count as 'nature' ? :^)

i've got this in my queue

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Wed 8th Jun 17:30 [history]

14. #14 / 40
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

Yes..big time

15. #15 / 40
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

HUGE YES PLEASE!

16. #16 / 40
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

Any board submitted during the time frame should be in the running…nature is always in battle/flux

17. #17 / 40
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

So, I started looking at this again -- still haven't downloaded new board designer as my PC is running out of life -- but I think i'm going to need some factory help with this one. anyone want to volunteer to help with this (at this point idea confirmation, prior to actual coding)?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

18. #18 / 40
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Sure

19. #19 / 40
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think I'll go with this. With only 18 territories it will be a miniature.

Edited Sat 9th Jul 18:14 [history]

20. #20 / 40
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've got two ideas. I think I will start with the easy one, because one is quite complicated and not sure if I'll get it done by the end of the year. The easy one is going to be based on the WFO weather office regions ( https://www.weather.gov/aviation/wfo).

Here's one of the maps you can find online of the regions:

https://www.weather.gov/images/jetstream/nws/cwa.png

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)