206 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 32
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Being that no one had a definitive answer I now have to assume posting an external link is allowed. I was taking precautions prior. The other site I mentioned seems to be doing ok from what I see.

I have played there and enjoy both sites. Each have different things to offer. Maybe a bit more judgemental here.

2. #22 / 32
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>Maybe a bit more judgemental here.

I would say some feel a bit protective of wargear. I truly think it's special. I don't think any other site has the advanced map making capabilities that wargear does. Also for the first few years, development was pretty active, and it encourage a lot of attachment to the site, when users could discuss suggestions for improvements, and then see them get implemented. Also some of us have been here for 10+ years, so there is a lot of history to our relationships with each other and the site.

3. #23 / 32
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Makes sense. Thanks !

4. #24 / 32
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

(Edited: Fixed links and formatting)

Rick - Long Time Listener, first time caller. Thanks for taking my call.

Let me propose a counterpoint to your position: >Maybe a bit more judgemental here.

I see that you have participated in a total of 3 threads in this forum: https://www.wargear.net/forum/listthreads?viewtype=active&filter=MrPlaya

-------------------------------------------------

Forum Thread #1: https://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/5439/Site_Navigation_and_other_weird_things_

It was created by you to air some grievances about site navigation and other dislikes about this site. Some of your positions were very reasonable complaints (there can be a learning curve to use the interface), but some happened to be factually inaccurate (there are direct links that you just didn't know existed), and some were just a sign of being a new user (you didn't understand the scoring system). All three categories were responded to by the elders in this forum with concise and thoughtful responses both showing you what you might not have learned yet, and also asking for some additional feedback on the website from a new user's eyes, because we agree that that perspective can be helpful.

I'm sure it was an accident, but you chose not to respond to those time well-thought responses with a "thanks for the help" or "here's the answer to your question for me..." Instead, you replied only a single time, and it was to add another complaint about the site having too many stats.

Forum Thread #2: https://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/5443/Show_winner_stats_-_not_loser_stats_-_in_emails_and_pop_ups_

You reiterated your aforementioned complaint from Forum Thread #1 by creating a new thread only for your complaint about the site having too many stats. However, I don't see any direct explanation of the feeling, or backing up the position with examples, it's just throwing out a subjective opinion and stating it as a fact. Again the elders in the forum tried to provide some help to show you what information you might be missing, and to explain some of the history of the site, and one even educated the rest of us on a feature that many of us long timers weren't aware even existed.

Again, likely accidental, but your only response to that thread was to re-iterate your position that there are too many stats (ignoring the elders' well-thought responses) and to reiterate your position from Forum thread #1 that you were displeased with site navigation.

Forum Thread #3: This thread

You start a thread to ask if it's allowable to post links to external sites.

You get responses that it is not directly disallowed, so you feel confident posting a link to an outside site (which is reasonable). But it so happens that the link you choose to post is to recommend to the members of this site to try a competitor site.

My question for you, that I hope you will consider: If you were part of a community of long time users of a site, and you were presented with a new user who joined a site and then participated in the forums with only the above....would you feel that this person was actually attempting to give constructive criticism/educate themselves/provide value-add suggestions to help this site? Or is it reasonable that you might feel that this person was (at a minimum) attempting to be a disruptor, or (potentially worse) a shill for a competitor?

Maybe by putting yourself in our shoes (in front of our computers???) you can understand that maybe it isn't a judgmental attitude, maybe it's just a coincidental persona that you've accidentally presented by your participation (both your actual responses and selective non-responses) in the above 3 threads.

Personally, I think you're trying to be a help, and it's all just a misunderstanding. Maybe you could consider the amount of time that the other elders in this forum have spent giving you responses to your questions/opinions, and decide whether you should maybe spend a little of your time responding in those threads to the questions that have been asked back of you? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that your opinions could be shaped into great value-add for the site.

I'll hang up now and listen to your answer....

Edited Wed 25th May 10:23 [history]

5. #25 / 32
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    ...the amount of time that the other elders in this forum have spent giving you responses to your questions/opinions....

You just took way more time than I even considered giving; given that there were no further attempts at discourse.

Altho; i think i want to save this as a template for future use :^)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #26 / 32
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Sorry if I don’t reply. The only way I can see if someone responded is to go to forum and search for ‘link’ and I’d see the option to view this thread. I don’t see any other way of getting here. I have all my alert options turned on yet I never get an email or see any notification regarding a forum post reply. I only see a flashing envelope next to ‘message’ when an individual game message has been replied to.

But thank you again for you replies

7. #27 / 32
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ps seems all the forum links you posted were deleted so I could not check.

8. #28 / 32
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

You can keep track of your threads via these links. Lots to explore at WG.

9. #29 / 32
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The links from BorisTheFrugal are still broken. At least for me each link (despite the text being different) goes to:

https:// www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/5442/ < a rel = 

If you instead copy the link text you'll get to each of the forum posts mentioned. None were deleted.

Also, while email notifications might be nice, I don't understand how you can't find it?? I just click on Forum, then General Discussion, and I can see each forum post in order of most recent participation and a color change based on whether there is a new post since last I read them. Since this is a currently active thread, it is always right near the top. Super easy to find.

"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what define a man's faith" - Elend Venture
    Edited Mon 30th May 09:43 [history]

10. #30 / 32
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thanks all. You’re making life here much easier. 🤙🏼

11. #31 / 32
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Just for posterity....

Link to the list of forum threads that MrPlaya is a part of: https://www.wargear.net/forum/listthreads?viewtype=active&filter=MrPlaya

First thread: https://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/5439/Site_Navigation_and_other_weird_things_

Second thread: https://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/5443/Show_winner_stats_-_not_loser_stats_-_in_emails_and_pop_ups_

The easiest way to find only the threads that you've participated in (either started, or replied to) is to do the following:

(NOTE: This is actually where I got the first of my 3 links above from)

Go to the top menu on any page, and choose your name to go to your profile:

Scroll down and click the link "View Active Threads" to show all threads that you have participated in.

Edited Tue 31st May 14:38 [history]

12. #32 / 32
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:
    ...I just click on Forum, then General Discussion, and I can see each forum post in order of most recent participation and a color change based on whether there is a new post since last I read them. Since this is a currently active thread, it is always right near the top. Super easy to find.

This is how I do it also.

Also; I look at the last post date on the main forum page (knowing that the last time i visited was May 26 - my last post - i know to look for anything past that date), like this:

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)