212 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 32
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I started a discussion with another player in a private message (not in a game)

Is it against site policy if I share a link in the communication? Just wanted to be sure before I did. Thanks !

2. #2 / 32
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure I 100% understand what you are saying, but I don't think it's against policy. I think the main thing you can't do is coordinate before a game starts. i.e. making a treaty in a game based on the circumstances and people is ok, but you can't both join a game with the intention of working together.

3. #3 / 32
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Links are fine..

..as long as you aren't cheating. That would exclude something like sharing a link to an image of a live fogged board (or game with the history turned OFF) in just about any circumstance. It's one thing to say that you see so-and-so has x armies on territory A (you could be lying), but entirely another to "prove" it. ..though images can be altered easily enough in this day and age.

Edited Sun 15th May 07:07 [history]

4. #4 / 32
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Sharing links in private messages is fine.

As for what Ozyman said, it's not allowed to coordinate strategy before a game starts, but it is allowed to coordinate interest, in other words, deciding which board to play and with how many players.

5. #5 / 32
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I was referring to a link to an external site. The discussion was about board design and I was going to point them to a similar site to this one which may be looking for designers.

Also how do I find this thread??? I needed to search for ‘link’ in hopes to come across it. No alert was shown that anyone had even replied - which I thank you all for your input.

6. #6 / 32
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't think it is against site rules to link to other sites as long as you are not spamming.

I usually click on 'recent' along the menu bar when I am participating in forum discussions. I'm not sure how to find older forum discussions. I used to use google search with site:wargear.net or site.wargear.net/forum, but IIRC, that didn't seem to work the last time, and the built-in forum search isn't that great.

7. #7 / 32
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

I completely agree with M57.

However, when you are the last player in a multiplayer game with fog and no history, you are at an enormous strategic disadvantage. Seeing the starting board set up (what I assume M57 is alluding to) could solve this easily. I've certainly thought that an image of that screen would be fair.

In the history, there's a step called, "Initial board setup complete." It would be very useful for everyone to be able to see this in a multiplayer heavy fog game.

8. #8 / 32
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thanks for all the replies. I might as well post here as well. They are always looking for new board/maps, so if anyone here has some background in that, check them out. http://victorsunited.com

I've been playing there for about a year, but I also love this site. Lots of insight from players which is helpful for me to navigate through some of the tougher designs here.

Edited Thu 19th May 16:24 [history]

9. #9 / 32
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

You know, I just had a feeling with the complaints about this site in the other threads that this is where that was headed. Must be a model for recruitment, smh.

10. #10 / 32
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

no offense to victorsunited, but look at these things you need to pay for that you get for free on wargear:

• Play real time Lightning games
    • Play on any of our 80+ Maps with more on the way each month
    • Create games with advanced rules like Fog of War, Flat Rate Cards, etc
    • Play in Team Games and have your friends help you attack the enemy
    • Play in Tournament Games
    • Discounts on all Premium Map Paks
    • No ads

Does that mean you have to purchase the maps to play on them? Or maybe just to start games on them?

Also - if they consider fog of war and flat rate cards advanced rules, I'm sure they don't have vision/fortify/attack-only borders, factories, abandon territories, the other card scales... (anything else I'm forgetting)?

Edited Thu 19th May 00:03 [history]

11. #11 / 32
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:no offense to victorsunited, but look at these things you need to pay for that you get for free on wargear:

• Play real time Lightning games
    • Play on any of our 80+ Maps with more on the way each month
    • Create games with advanced rules like Fog of War, Flat Rate Cards, etc
    • Play in Team Games and have your friends help you attack the enemy
    • Play in Tournament Games
    • Discounts on all Premium Map Paks
    • No ads

Does that mean you have to purchase the maps to play on them? Or maybe just to start games on them?

Also - if they consider fog of war and flat rate cards advanced rules, I'm sure they don't have vision/fortify/attack-only borders, factories, abandon territories, the other card scales... (anything else I'm forgetting)?

80+ maps is underselling it, on my count we have 282. Information copied from a few years ago? 

12. #12 / 32
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

There are more game options here for sure. There are many more maps here too. I believe many of their maps are free and some are paid. I don’t believe there are cash tournaments here, correct?

13. #13 / 32
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

@Totes: i think they were referring to VU site that had 80+ as a selling point...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

14. #14 / 32
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:@Totes: i think they were referring to VU site that had 80+ as a selling point...

Ah, yes, of course. My mistake.

I agree this site is better as well as cheaper.

But it's true we have no cash tournaments.

15. #15 / 32
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

We did have several cash prizes in, but they were for map makers instead of players. Also, we stopped doing those (or to be honest, I stopped doing it, because I used to organize it, and got too busy). I was thinking of starting the map making contest back up again, but just tying it to a calendar year, instead of a theme with an arbitrary time period. I don't know if Tom wants to give prizes again (I don't think wargear is exactly a big money maker for him) - I always turned my wins into premium membership anyway, so I'd be happy if he just gave some free memberships to winners.

As for as cash prizes for tournaments - in theory someone could organize a tournament where you had to put in a $1 or $2 per player, and the winner got the prize money. I'm not sure how you'd hold it in escrow or anything though... But that would be about the same as paying for premium membership on another site, and winning cash from a tournament.

Also - is "totes" an officially sanctioned nickname for Litotes? I like it!

16. #16 / 32
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Totes sort of sends a different message, it's slang for "totally, completely", whereas litotes is understatement by denying the opposite. Not that I mind. If you for some reason think I am the total package you can use totes, if you think I'm understated you can use the full name, and if you think I see things in a clear light you can use lit. Won't mind either way. I realize when I'm being addressed. Just don't use anything closer to a name of someone else.

17. #17 / 32
    Standard Member agwyvern
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:Totes sort of sends a different message, it's slang for "totally, completely", whereas litotes is understatement by denying the opposite. Not that I mind. If you for some reason think I am the total package you can use totes, if you think I'm understated you can use the full name, and if you think I see things in a clear light you can use lit. Won't mind either way. I realize when I'm being addressed. Just don't use anything closer to a name of someone else.

Thanks for the clarification.

So... "Litotes", "Totes", "Lit" are all good, and "anything closer to a name of someone else" is verbotten.

Pretty sure I wouldn't want to type that very often, so will definitely stick with one of the first 3 options :-D

18. #18 / 32
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I volunteer as tribute to go by the nickname "Anything Closer to a Name of Someone Else" in Sir Totes' stead.

Also happy to accept the nickname "Verbotten," if that helps.

19. #19 / 32
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:Totes sort of sends a different message, it's slang for "totally, completely", whereas litotes is understatement by denying the opposite. Not that I mind. If you for some reason think I am the total package you can use totes, if you think I'm understated you can use the full name, and if you think I see things in a clear light you can use lit. Won't mind either way. I realize when I'm being addressed. Just don't use anything closer to a name of someone else.

Litotes is . . . not so bad. ;)

20. #20 / 32
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

MrPlaya wrote:
    Is it against site policy if I share a link in the communication? Just wanted to be sure before I did.

This probably goes with the "if you have to ask" sort of thing.

MrPlaya wrote:I might as well post here as well. They are always looking for new board/maps, so if anyone here has some background in that, check them out. http://v************.com

And there we go. Went from can I share a link to can I shill for a "competitor". I use the term competitor here loosely of course. Not a viable alternative. Had someone spamming all over last year for this same place. Doesn't look like it has improved at all since then.

"It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time... The losses are what define a man's faith" - Elend Venture
    Edited Tue 24th May 18:12 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)