182 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 51
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was wondering how possible it would be to re-make Antastic, but with the modifier that you can play a version where you can return to attack after fortify? 

Some boards have multiple versions of the ruleset. How is this done? 

Off Topic!

2. #2 / 51
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

It's a not too complicated task to make more scenarios if you're the board designer, the problem here is that Antastic! is made by someone (Red Baron) who has not been online for a very long time, in fact his last visit was before you registered.

3. #3 / 51
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I seem to remember there being one or two pseudo-admins here who have sometimes helped make little tweaks like that on other peoples boards when they have been gone for as long as Red Baron has.  If memory serves, they contact Tom who gives them edit rights on existing boards.  Sound the board designer horn and they might come to your aid.

BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAARD

DEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGNERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

(It's like the ricola horn, but for a WarGear chest cold)

4. #4 / 51
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

I seem to remember there being one or two pseudo-admins here who have sometimes helped make little tweaks like that on other peoples boards when they have been gone for as long as Red Baron has.  If memory serves, they contact Tom who gives them edit rights on existing boards.  Sound the board designer horn and they might come to your aid.

BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAARD

DEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGNERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

(It's like the ricola horn, but for a WarGear chest cold)

+1 yes I was going to add that as I've requested such changes before

Like to play unique boards come join the Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

5. #5 / 51
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I mean. That's a pretty fundamental change to one of the most popular boards on WG (I assume). Not sure it's necessarily a given that we should automatically greenlight such an update.

6. #6 / 51
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Otherwise you might as well just move it over to an option on the board creation page like fog.

7. #7 / 51
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A designer could make an homage. It could play almost identically, just new graphics - maybe some minor tweaks or more additional scenarios with some advanced options... 

Seems like it would be fairly quick.  If people don't think it's wrong to do, I could probably throw something together this weekend.  Suggestions on a name? 

8. #8 / 51
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I have some admin rights including the ability to make live edits to boards (which I have done to fix border issues and things like that.) I don't think I can make a new scenario.

It seems silly to have two versions of Antastic!, but in the scheme of things who cares - we have 3 versions of the original Risk! board, Seven and Seven Redux and four Ravenloft's and the site hasn't ended yet. I remember though when we ganged up on M57 to get him to combine his two versions of Go-Geared. 

Anyways, +1 to Ozy (or someone) to creating a new version with scenarios (please, please include team transfer in all of them). I especially like your medium fog + extended vision" scenarios from your other maps.

I suggest "Antastic! Redux".

9. #9 / 51
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I am excited this got some traction :)

"Antastic Scenarios!"

Off Topic!

10. #10 / 51
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I don't like the idea of creating a new board just to add scenarios to an existing one. That duplicates all the board stats (including ranking).

IMO, either we convince tom to allow a few designers more admin rights for board editing, or we just leave the board as it is (without duplicating it).

asm and Korrun also raise an important point, which has been ignored, so just quoting it again

asm wrote:

I mean. That's a pretty fundamental change to one of the most popular boards on WG (I assume). Not sure it's necessarily a given that we should automatically greenlight such an update.

Korrun wrote:

Otherwise you might as well just move it over to an option on the board creation page like fog.

11. #11 / 51
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Surely, the board creator should have some control as to what is allowed and what is not allowed. If the board designer has the option to prevent fog override to create a certain kind of game play, they should also have the option to set some rules in stone for certain kind of game play.

12. #12 / 51
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I am excited this got some traction :)

"Antastic Scenarios!"

Off Topic!

13. #13 / 51
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:

Surely, the board creator should have some control as to what is allowed and what is not allowed. If the board designer has the option to prevent fog override to create a certain kind of game play, they should also have the option to set some rules in stone for certain kind of game play.

I would argue when the creator has not been present on the site for near a decade the board design is long down the path of "public domain". 

I understand that certain maps are designed with certain limitations as part of the flavour for that map. That is a personal choice I guess. Elsewhere in this thread I have also seen comments about how it would affect rankings.

Personally I imagine Ant's being able to move and attack repeatedly is better "flavour" than the current limitation, and will make for a faster board.

If a clone map is created with the new functionality I think that is more detrimental than adding the option to an already popular map.

In the end, however, I am not skilled enough to do this myself, so I am at the good graces of those who have the talent to produce such a map. I would like to help if possible.

Off Topic!

14. #14 / 51
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:

I don't like the idea of creating a new board just to add scenarios to an existing one. That duplicates all the board stats (including ranking).

I don't either - which was the argument we used with Go-Geared - but we do already have this situation - in particular "Global Warfare" is scenarios for "Wargear Warfare" - 

It's also worth noting that Antastic was created (and Red Baron left) before scenarios were an option. 

I think in the end we have to acknowledge that Wargear's sprawling loosey-goosey board creation process is a feature and not a bug.

15. #15 / 51
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

One point in favor of an Antastic Redux is improved graphics similar to Seven's improved graphics.

16. #16 / 51
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:

IMO, either we convince tom to allow a few designers more admin rights for board editing, or we just leave the board as it is (without duplicating it).

Thanks for the signal boost, and I agree with this as well.

We've been playing Antastic the way it is for approaching 15 years. I know I'm just a guy off the street but I feel like y'all are being very cavalier about just tossing together an entire new board just to freshen up a couple of options. Over 26 thousand games have been recorded on this board on WarGear alone.

17. #17 / 51
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't see the harm in creating a new board though? Pun intended - what's the Risk?

Off Topic!

18. #18 / 51
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Here is a post that will advance the discussion NOT...

As a map maker, I know that I would be dismayed about there being a new version of my map made without being consulted. It wouldn't be rage worthy, but I would be dismayed. I mean, imagine if someone made one of my maps actually enjoyable? That would destroy my entire map making philosophy!

Counterpoint, Antastic would be really cool with Return to Attack! It's one of my favorite rules to put in a map and I think Antastic is a great design where it would add to the strategy of play, rather than just change the entire play of the map. I believe it would be a HUGE enhancement.

But...

It would need to be a new map, not a new version. This would quite drastically change the play of the map and rankings would be invalidated. You know how I enjoy my rankings.

Cumberdale and Doom were both consulted before their concepts were ported over here. Has anyone tried to PM Red Baron? He's a good guy and I believe he woudl be cool with it, but still...

However, Dig Dug could be imagined in almost the same way and be quite a bit of fun! Sometimes you don't need to re-boot something, sometimes you can pay homage to the gameply with new inspiration.

To sum up, I'm against the idea, for the idea, against the idea and for a similar idea.

I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt

19. #19 / 51
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I PM's Red Baron and wrote on his wall.

20. #20 / 51
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Just glad to see you haven't changed in all these years, Risky.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)