179 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12345   (5 in total)
  1. #1 / 88
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The way I see it, moving beyond flash is going to be very important for WarGear to survive.

Adobe is stopping flash distribution at the end of the year, and encouraging everyone to move out of using flash. There is a lot written about the security issues with flash.

Most importantly, after the end-of-life of Flash at the end of 2020, Google (Chrome), Mozilla (Firefox) and Microsoft (Internet Explorer) have all said that they will block Flash from being run on their browsers. Which means almost all internet users can no longer run anything with Flash.

I believe a lot of users on WarGear prefer the Flash player. They will be forced to move to the Native, if another similar (maybe HTML5 based) player is not there. It's possible that will cause several users to leave. Not to mention that there is a lot of content on WG available only with Flash (charts, including luck charts).

There were a few posts in the last 24 hours with users experiencing some problems with the Flash player. To be honest, I don't think fixing issues with the flash player is the way to go. We should rather be looking towards moving beyond it.

2. #2 / 88
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I've always preferred the native player, but there are boards like Go-Geared that won't allow the native player when using your phone, which is what I use a lot of the time to take my turns

3. #3 / 88
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I'm not a computer expert - so, a basic question -

Most of the site interface runs off of flash correct? I know we have the native player to replace the flash player, but aren't the charts and board editor Flash based? How about the game join page?

4. #4 / 88
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

but aren't the charts and board editor Flash based? How about the game join page?

Pratik mentioned that charts are in the original post on this board, and I'm pretty sure the Designer is too.

Chele Nica wrote:

I've always preferred the native player, but there are boards like Go-Geared that won't allow the native player when using your phone, which is what I use a lot of the time to take my turns

Yeah, As the designer of that board I'm bracing for the news that it may have to be retired unless I go in and replace certain colors, which will kind of ruin the effect. 

The good news is there seem to be a lot of Tom sightings recently, even if it is to deal with bugs ..of the coding and human types too. Hopefully the recent surge in activity on the site has caught his attention.  I can't imagine what the site would be like if the ability to create and modify boards disappeared.

5. #5 / 88
    Private zyx zyx is offline now
    Standard Member zyx
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's wondered about what's going to happen.

6. #6 / 88
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Huge +1

and I pretty much exclusively use the native player, but if not addressed it would lead to the possibly slow, but eventual demise of the site with all the broken features and functions.

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

7. #7 / 88
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

has anyone reached out to him with a direct PM/email with this question? 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 88
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hi - I have given this thought but not started to panic just yet.

There seem to be a few Flash replacements in the mix at the moment but none of them look like they will definitely be available by the end of life of Flash.
    https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle/wiki/Roadmap - in active development but perhaps only 20% complete
    https://github.com/lightspark/lightspark - sounded super promising early on in it's development and is the closest to a workable solution but it has faded away and no longer being actively developed
    https://www.leaningtech.com/pages/cheerpx.html - in active development with goals that will work with the WG Player. A hail mary pass?
    If all the above options fail then we'll still have the Native Player and I'll have to invest more time in getting the incompatible boards compatible with it.

Edited Sun 10th May 05:04 [history]

9. #9 / 88
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Good to know you have put some thought into this, Tom

10. #10 / 88
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tom, I appreciate that you are still being a good caretacker after all these years.

What about the designer?  If flash goes away, will you upgrade that to HTML5?   Is there anything you can do to distribute the work load?  i.e. any chance of putting some of the relevant code on github?   I don't know how much I can help, but if you are willing to do it, I will pledge to spend a few hours a week doing my best to help out (not a front-end developer, but I am a software engineer who is used to learning new things).

11. #11 / 88
    Colonel ogg ogg is offline now
    Premium Member ogg
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I figured I would check on this before I renew for another year.  I am glad to see Tom is addressing it.  I cannot stand using the Native player, so I hope we get a suitable replacement for the flash player.

12. #12 / 88
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

ogg wrote:

I figured I would check on this before I renew for another year.  I am glad to see Tom is addressing it.  I cannot stand using the Native player, so I hope we get a suitable replacement for the flash player.

Like you ogg, I couldn’t stand the Native interface, but I must say, I’ve gotten somewhat used to it and can pretty much do whatever I need to do with it. I think there must have been slight improvements to it over the years and now I find it serviceable.

13. #13 / 88
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

ogg wrote:

I cannot stand using the Native player,

Curious why - 

14. #14 / 88
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm curious too; i almost exclusively use Native (other than the few boards that don't operate on it). only time i load a flash game is when i need to brute force my browser to load flash for the luck stats...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

15. #15 / 88
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Same here I had only ever used the native. Tried the flash player a couple of times and never had any appeal

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

16. #16 / 88
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

T-21 days... I'm curious will there be a lot of changes around here to fully remove/replace Flash stuff?

You have been granted the title of Strategist!

17. #17 / 88
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Is the only thing that still relies on flash the board designer?  (other than the flash player, for which the HTML player is a reasonable substitute).

18. #18 / 88
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

history, flash player (which a few boards rely on as they break in the native), stats... most everything reallyi; except for native player...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

19. #19 / 88
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Are there any browsers that will not block Flash, so one can use the unupdated version for a while?

20. #20 / 88
    Standard Member Klaranth
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

Are there any browsers that will not block Flash, so one can use the unupdated version for a while?

You might want to look for discontinued browsers then.

Here you may find a list of old browsers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

However, the security of said discontinued browsers can be ... buggy at best.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345   (5 in total)