Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 19
    Standard Member andrea1990
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

hi guys

is it possible to create a target or we have to conquer the world always?

thanks

2. #2 / 19
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

First, welcome to WarGear andrea!

Second, by 'target', I assume you mean alternative objective (could be any one of a number of different ideas there: target 1 particular player, gain control of a particular area of the board, etc)? 

I think I don't think we're set up for something that would randomly be picked each game. A board designer could set up targeted areas of control; but would likely be he same from game to game (random set up, but set targets). Elim of a particular player, I don't think is in the cards with current site logic. 

other designers with more Factory design experience may help to flesh out the answer. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #3 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

weathertop wrote:

First, welcome to WarGear andrea!

Second, by 'target', I assume you mean alternative objective (could be any one of a number of different ideas there: target 1 particular player, gain control of a particular area of the board, etc)? 

I think I don't think we're set up for something that would randomly be picked each game. A board designer could set up targeted areas of control; but would likely be he same from game to game (random set up, but set targets). Elim of a particular player, I don't think is in the cards with current site logic. 

other designers with more Factory design experience may help to flesh out the answer. 

4. #4 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

thank you very much

5. #5 / 19
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

thank you very much

6. #6 / 19
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Actually, there are some maps which you can acquire certain locations that will bring about a victory condition, like my DnDOpoly map as an example - in that one, the goal is to defeat the guardian monster and hold the castle it was defending for 1 turn, from which you auto-eliminate opposing players. Of course, it utilizes factories behind the scenes to accomplish that. My Ravenloft and Subterfuge maps operate similarly. A few other designers also have maps which do similar things.

Edited Mon 6th Apr 17:15 [history]

7. #7 / 19
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Didn't someone make a board where you had to eliminate a particular player to win?

8. #8 / 19
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This scenario never got much play, but here's a map of mine that illustrates the concept of having a specific area to conquer:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Lizard+Tesselations

Play a M.C. Escher scenario.   There are eight specific territories on the board labeled with a letter.  Control any 3 of them to win.

9. #9 / 19
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yep, that's one. Wasn't there also a map where two sides mirror eachother, one of them upside down, and you have to gain control of just 1 of the sides?

10. #10 / 19
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

11. #11 / 19
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

This scenario never got much play, but here's a map of mine that illustrates the concept of having a specific area to conquer:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Lizard+Tesselations

Play a M.C. Escher scenario.   There are eight specific territories on the board labeled with a letter.  Control any 3 of them to win.

My guess is the way he did it was to create 8C3 = 56 factories to cover all of the possible winning combinations.

Edited Tue 7th Apr 06:31 [history]

12. #12 / 19
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Thingol - Found it. 

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Quantum+Entanglement

Yeah, it was a lot less work on the designer side than the Escher board, with only two exact winning possibilities.  Many years back I suggested a "combinations factory" designer feature.  The way it would work is the designer would pick all the appropriate territories and then select how many need to be held for the factory to kick in.  As it is now, once you involve more than a dozen territories the number of factories you need to create becomes unwieldy. For instance, 12C5 would need 792 factories, and forget a board where you want to involve all of the territories.

Say you wanted to create a win condition where a player had to control 80% of a board with 50 territories. 

50C4010,272,278,170 factories.  Yikes!

Edited Tue 7th Apr 06:38 [history]

13. #13 / 19
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld’s board (still in development, I think) with all the different fantasy RPG races based on controlling X amount of territories must do that to a degree.

14. #14 / 19
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Yeah, it was a lot less work on the designer side than the Escher board, with only two exact winning possibilities.  Many years back I suggested a "combinations factory" designer feature.  The way it would work is the designer would pick all the appropriate territories and then select how many need to be held for the factory to kick in.  As it is now, once you involve more than a dozen territories the number of factories you need to create becomes unwieldy. For instance, 12C5 would need 792 factories, and forget a board where you want to involve all of the territories.

Say you wanted to create a win condition where a player had to control 80% of a board with 50 territories. 

50C4010,272,278,170 factories.  Yikes!

You are right about general combination factories.

However, if a combination of the entire board is being considered, the answer is quite easy.

If the win condition is x% of all territories, you simply have a win condition of own y territories. In your example, the win condition is simply own 40 territories. No need for combination factories.

This has been implemented in many boards. Five, Seven, Ten-Propogate (all really old boards), and  Seven-Redux, DolmabahceSarayi

15. #15 / 19
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

but those are all static from game to game (other than control Y territories). I was under the impression that the OP was looking for dynamic goals. Like a game of tag. I (seat1) have Pratik (seat2), he has Thingol (seat3), who has M57 (seat4). Then in another game those would switch up, so you never knew who had whom. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

16. #16 / 19
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

tom did create that option (like 'top is saying) when he did win conditions, but I don't think any board implemented that.

17. #17 / 19
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

tom did create that option (like 'top is saying) when he did win conditions, but I don't think any board implemented that.

Damn.  I feel like some ungrateful child.

Here - I created a quick scenario with these win conditions.  I need 4 more warm bodies to help me test it out:

http://www.wargear.net/games/join/716791

18. #18 / 19
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

19. #19 / 19
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

^ On that topic, Nygma has a DEV board with team "captain" assassination as the goal.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/7800

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)