1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1234567   (7 in total)
  1. #1 / 139
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Hi all,

We did a real-time online wargear meet-up over a year ago, and it was a lot of fun. We'd like to do a new one, and are starting this thread to organize it. Please post the following if you're interested in participating:

1) What night of the week works best for you (or daytime if weekend)

2) What time works best for you to start our games (and what time-zone you're in)

3) Specific dates you'd want to suggest (or we can do a doodle to figure that out)

4) What board(s) you'd recommend we play. Last time we did a one vs one tourney of 8 or 10 people (Spy vs Spy) and we did several games (Laberynth and one or two more boards I can't remember)

Also, check out this other thread for an in-person wargear meet-up.

2. #2 / 139
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'll get it started:

1) Friday night, but could also potentially do Saturday or Sunday

2) Anytime after 4pm EST (1pm California, 9pm London)

3) March 1, 8, 15, or 22

4) Boards for tourney: go-geared, seven, iwo jima. For regular games: capital crusade, pirates of the caribbean, invention, colossal crusade, resource

3. #3 / 139
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i'm likely in (depending on night), but i'll have to get back with other inputs as i'm on the way to find a pillow! just wanted to chime in to help generate interest!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #4 / 139
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'm also interested in general. Friday night (CET) is OK with me most weeks as long as I know about it in advance. Saturday night also. Or Saturday/Sunday morning CET (CET is six hours ahead of EST).

I advice against Go-Geared. Not because I'm bad at it (I guess I'm passable) but it usually leads to games with a large amount of turns. Something that plays faster would be my choice. All the other mentioned ones sounds good to me.

5. #5 / 139
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

I'm also interested in general. Friday night (CET) is OK with me most weeks as long as I know about it in advance. Saturday night also. Or Saturday/Sunday morning CET (CET is six hours ahead of EST).

I advice against Go-Geared. Not because I'm bad at it (I guess I'm passable) but it usually leads to games with a large amount of turns. Something that plays faster would be my choice. All the other mentioned ones sounds good to me.

"passable" at go-geared, yeah right! ;)

Anyhow, I agree that this board is probably too long for this event, I was also trying to think of games without too many turns, so we can take it off

6. #6 / 139
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Spy and 7 are the best options, imo. Will be hard to get 8 players on iwo jima . Too specialized. 

7. #7 / 139
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Spy was fun, but i'd rather do a new board this time. True, Iwo jima may not work, do you have other possibilities for a tourney board?

8. #8 / 139
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'd suggest we first see which players are interested and then decide on a board. 

I'm on board for most boards, as long as they don't play too slowly. If we get enough who wants to try Go-Geared then I'm in, if it's Battle of Bladensburg then I'm out. 

9. #9 / 139
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Alright sounds good, let's wait to talk about board, and we can experiment with veto power for each player, to try to avoid boards that would be a no-go for any player (it might not be possible to get consensus on all options, but we can try to get boards that at least folks are not firmly against playing)

10. #10 / 139
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd be in, depending on board. I concur with Litotes on BoB. Those with experience have too much advantage.

11. #11 / 139
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Based on my current BoB game with Babba going upwards of 1060 rounds, it would't be a good choice for a real-time tourney

12. #12 / 139
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'm sure we can agree on boards where 1-on-1 rarely reach 50 rounds, let alone 1000, being better choices. Fortunately there are a lot of them.

13. #13 / 139
    Premium Member Nikolai
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I could probably do March 15th or 16th. I'm agnostic on boards--so long as I don't totally suck at whatever's chosen (because I won't be a fun opponent).

14. #14 / 139
    Colonel ogg ogg is offline now
    Premium Member ogg
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I would be interested, Friday nights can work for me, but only every other Friday.  I have software releases on Feb 22, Mar 8, Mar 22nd, and Apr 5th...so that makes me available on Mar 1, Mar 15, and Mar 29.  Or I can be available most Saturday or Sundays (Not Sat Mar 30).

I am MST, so EST -2  / CET -8.

I would propose perhaps Gunslinger for the 1v1 games, maybe the shooting gallery for 3 player tourneys.

other good boards (besides what was previously mentioned) are Koprulu Sector, Gauntlet, Millenium Falcon, and Fortress.

Edited Mon 18th Feb 17:37 [history]

15. #15 / 139
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i'd be up for Fortress {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Falcon is a pretty decent small/quick board. 

Others that i think are fairly quick and decent: Qbert, Bowling?, Rescue, Micro Mission, Rent is Due, 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

16. #16 / 139
    Standard Member zdisabled_8a7ed3fe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'll play.  Somebody message me when you decide.  I don't always keep up with the forum.

17. #17 / 139
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Cool, thanks all for responding (and more folks are welcome to join).

Given the vast time zones differences between us, I'm leaning to Saturday, March 16, starting at 6am PDT (Pacific Daylight Time, one hour later than PST), 9am EDT, and 2pm Norway/Germany time.

I'll post a poll here soon so we can vote on initial boards, form of communication during real-time games/tourney, and anything else we need to decide in advance.  Other boards we can leave to the day of, but it'd be good to know the tourney and at least one board for regular games in advance.

So suggest in this thread any boards now that you'd like us to consider, in addition to the ones already mentioned above. 

Also, let me know if you agree on proposed date and time

18. #18 / 139
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Also, we can start later in the day on the 16th, maybe more reasonable would be 9am PDT / 12 noon EDT / 5pm Norway/Germany?

19. #19 / 139
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

March 16th should be OK for me, either 2pm or 5pm works fine.

20. #20 / 139
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I say we go for the later time, it'll make it easier for any west cost folks to join

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234567   (7 in total)