204 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 32
    Standard Member ActionRaccoon
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hey, I Live in Southern Ontario Canada. I'm hosting a Risk tournament in late Feb. 2019. With real people talking to each other face to face. Haven't chosen a venue yet, still looking at options. 

Anyway the rules are as follows: 

The Rules so far...

Partners tournament.

4 min. per turn.

Each team plays 3 games.

6 players a game (3 teams)

5 rounds per game, or 2.5 hours a game.

points will be tallied, but we don't know how to tally them yet.

There will be capitals but we don't know how they will be worked.

Any ideas for prizes, rules, ect. are welcomed. Thanks guys :) 

2. #2 / 32
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Sounds fun!

3. #3 / 32
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Wow, post some pics and takeaways from the tourney, it would be great ro replicate elsewhere

4. #4 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'm actually planning to make a documentary about it as well post it either twitch or live, So yeah Thanks,   

5. #5 / 32
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

It may be fun for each game to start with the same starting layout as to what colors have what territories, but teams shift what colors they are. It may even things out. 

6. #6 / 32
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>5 rounds per game, or 2.5 hours a game.

I don't understand this part? 

7. #7 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

When each player has had a turn, it is a round. So if a player has had 5 turns its also been 5 rounds. Since each turn is 4 minutes, and 6 players, a round will take 24 minutes. (4X6) So if there are 5 rounds in a game, and each round is 24 minutes,  there will be about 2.5 hours in a game (24X 5) 

I've had suggestions from other people to make it 3 minutes a turn, and 6 rounds a game. 

8. #8 / 32
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Limiting a game of Risk to 5 turns? That seems pointless. Also I would recommend a fischer clock setup for turns. That can speed things up a lot, but be more fair to the players at the same time.

5 minutes initial time, 3 minutes added each turn, 10 minutes maximum is a good place to start.

9. #9 / 32
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

Limiting a game of Risk to 5 turns? That seems pointless.

That's kind of what I thought, but I don't play a lot of WGWF, so I wasn't sure.  I guess if you know it's going to only be 5 rounds, you might play differently.  Could be interesting...

Also I would recommend a fischer clock setup for turns. That can speed things up a lot, but be more fair to the players at the same time.

5 minutes initial time, 3 minutes added each turn, 10 minutes maximum is a good place to start.

This seems like a better idea, if they can get this to work.  You can get a fischer clock app for phones, but I don't know how well they work.   

10. #10 / 32
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:
    Korrun wrote:

Limiting a game of Risk to 5 turns? That seems pointless.

That's kind of what I thought, but I don't play a lot of WGWF, so I wasn't sure.  I guess if you know it's going to only be 5 rounds, you might play differently.  Could be interesting...

It looks like most WGWF games are 15 to 45 rounds.

The fewer dice rolls there are the more swingy the RNG. I'm not sure how you would score an unfinished Risk game, but it sounds highly unsatisfactory.

There are lots of great dice games that are designed for a shorter time period if you have a time crunch. I'd much rather play Farkle, Roll Through the Ages, King of Tokyo, Bang! Dice, etc.

11. #11 / 32
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Are you playing on WG? or with RL boards and pieces??  It's not clear from your original post. If the latter - timed moves will be tricky because there will be little incentive for defenders to roll quickly in most situations.

12. #12 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hey Guys, Appreciate the feed back. Keep it comming! 

Some people are confused if this is a tournament on War Gear or Real Life. Its Real life with physical boards and physical pieces with physical rolls.  Sorry it wasn't clear enough.  

I've played with these time rules before and 90% of the time the defender is respectful to the attacker and rolls quickly. Its just an honor rule and everyone will attack so its fair. We use these timers I found at the dollar store. If the attacker does run out of time, they can finish their attack but they cannot fortify or do anything else. If we see that a defender was stalling, either by accident or purpose, we usually just give an extra min. to the attacker. In this tournament, if the judges (me and one of my friends) see repeated stalling on purpose we would give a penalty to that person on their move. Mabey they loose troops, or less time on their turn. If there is a case that we have lots of troops in a battle (eg 30 V 50) then the attacker has the choice to use a simulated dice roll. I found one online that is on morningtoast.com .

I was doing some work on the time schedule last night. I'd appreciate if anyone can take a look at it. Appreciate any feed back guys :) I decided to add a 6th round. Winner will be choosen by a point system, to be made later. 

Each game is 6 rounds.  Rounds 1 and 2 are is 2 min. Rounds 3,4,5, and 6, are 3 min each. Each game has 6 players. There is 3 games in a tournament.

6 players X 2 min = 12 min.

12 min X 2 = 24 min.

6 players X 3 min = 18 min.

18 min X 4 = 72 min.

72 min + 24 min = 96 min. or 1 hr and 36 min.

Start time is 10 am. End time is 5:00 pm.

There are 3 games in total. And there is a 20 min break between the 3 games (2 breaks). Reward thing will be an extra 20 min. Intro should be 20 min. Set up (not included in event) is 30 min.

9am: Get to event place Set up.

10 am: Intro: 20 min.

10:21 am : First game 1 hr and 36 min. + 3 min extra

12:00 pm: 20 min break

12: 21 pm : 2nd game 1 hr and 36 min + 3 min extra

2:00pm : 20 min break

2:21 3rd game 1 hr. and 36 min. + 3 min extra

4:00pm Rewards: 20 min.

4:21 Clean up (Not included in event) : 30 min.

5:00 pm : end.

Total time: 6 hrs. and 13 min. + Set up and clean up its 8 hrs and 22 min.

Clean up is 30 min.

13. #13 / 32
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Schedule seems reasonable - but don't forget about food/lunch - 

I am more curious as to how you will award points since any system will change how people play in order to maximize those points (vs trying to be last player/team standing). We had a lot of debates around things like that when we were setting up the tournaments here.

I am also curious how you will do the initial set-up since there are faster/slower ways of doing that - 

14. #14 / 32
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Schedule seems reasonable - but don't forget about food/lunch - 

You mean you take a break for eating?! :)

15. #15 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

You guys are giving me great feed back, thanks :) 

The breaks will have eating available, but I may increase the first break by 10 min to give more time for eating. Players can also eat food while playing. 

I came up with a point system, and will probs change when I give it to my friends. First though I want to explain the capitals. 

Capitals:

Each player can create only 1 capital in a game. From round 1 at their reinforcement phase all the way to round 6 at their reinforcement phase (the final turn). They may even not create a capital if they do not want to. Every capital will add 2 troops to your reinforcements, but only to your capital, starting on your next turn. (If you create a capital on round 1, your bonus reinforcements will be given on round 2 on your capital. If you create a capital on round 6, you will not receive 2 bonus troops.) A capital also gives a defense  bonus. When being attacked, add 1 to your lowest die. To create a capital, place a industry token (from axis and allies) on a territory you own. That capital can never be moved once it is placed.

Object of the Game

Attain the most points possible by the end of round 6. Each of the 3 games a player plays in the tournament they add up for each game.

If you were eliminated: 1 point.

For each capital you own: 5 points.

Own Australia: 2 points

Own South America: 2 points

Own North America: 4 points

Own Europe: 5 points

Own Africa: 3 points.

Own Asia: 9 points.

Own 15 territories: 1 point.

Own 25 territories: 2 points.

Have the most troops on the board: 1 points. (if the difference is by 5 troops between players, consider it a tie and devide by the amount of players who hold that tie. Eg: 1/2= 0.5 points to each. 1/3= 0.33 points to each)

Have the most points at the end of a game (if there is a tie, and devide by the amount of players who hold that tie. Eg: 2/2= 1 points to each. 2/3= 0.66 points to each): 2 points. 

16. #16 / 32
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Not at all to rain on your parade.. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun and a success, but looking at the proposed rules, thinking about rolling hundreds of dice, and counting little pieces on the board, I can't help but appreciate what this site has done for the game and game play (IMHO).  My idea of a face to face tournament would be to have everyone in the game at a round table with their devices playing private games on WarGear.  If you really want to inject realism into, you could have a "piece mover" keeping the RL board up to date on the table.  But given that I prefer fog, even that would ruin it for me.

17. #17 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'll consider using War Gear for a Risk Tournament but I think I might be one of the only people in the Niagara Region (an area in Southern Ontario Candada) who plays on War Gear. Maybe I'm wrong but at the very least none of my friends play it. I've tried to get my friends into it but they need something quicker rather then wait for a couple days to make a turn. I know we have those 10 min turn games, which I'll consider for a risk tournament or even just a risk party night, but most of my friends prefer playing the physical board game. I will bring it up to my friends though so thanks for the suggestion. 

Encase your wondering, I'm not necessarily satisfied on my points style and was wondering if people could give me suggestions on it, 

For long rolls, like 20v 20, The attacker has the choice to use a automatic dice roller from morningtoast.com . Its a computer that simulates dice rolls for battles for Risk of up to 100s v 100s . 

Edited Sun 4th Nov 21:19 [history]

18. #18 / 32
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ActionRaccoon wrote:

I know we have those 10 min turn games, which I'll consider for a risk tournament or even just a risk party night, but most of my friends prefer playing the physical board game. 

I was thinking that you could set up games with a regular 2-day turn time, but impose your own time rules at each table. If you have a big screen or a projector - In games with no fog, one of the players could throw their image up on a big screen so you could have a "featured" table.

19. #19 / 32
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

A featured table could be a neat idea and I'll suggest it,  

20. #20 / 32
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

What's the plan for setting up boards? Teritories: Picking territories, randomized by cards, or other? Troop placement: taking turns placing, even distribution to each territory or other?

Couple suggestions/questions.

For simplicity why not enforce placement of each players capital on the first round? Allowing nonplacement could allow drastically different possible scores from different games since you have those worth 5 points.

"If you were eliminated: 1 point." Did you mean score a point for each player you eliminate? If not I'm confused. If so I would suggest a slightly higher score for that feat in a 6 round game.

Troop number simplify by just given it to the person(s) that has the highest count.

Excess cards worth anything?

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)