198 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 6
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I'm struggling to solve a problem with one of the ideas I'm testing.  I'll try to lay out what's happening, then ask for help solving the problem.

This board is based on a game for kids that I used to play.  It's kinda similar to rock paper scissors.

Each turn, both players make one of 3 choices simultaneously Block, Load, Shoot.  

Load is typically the first move.  This allows you to shoot.  If you shoot before loading, the move doesn't count.  If you shoot and do not win the game, you must reload before shooting.

Once you've loaded, at any point you can shoot your one bullet.  If your opponent uses block, the bullet is lost and nothing happens.  If both players use shoot, both bullets are lots and nothing happens.  If you shoot while your opponent is loading, you win the game.

So...  Load to load a bullet, Block to block a shot, Shoot to win, if it's not blocked or deflected.

Now for the Wargear version:

Abandon is on, empty territories revert to neutral at end of turn (because I have to).

To simulate this I've made 5 territories: Shoot, Load, Block, Choose, and Capital City.  Each has a maximum of one unit.

Choose attacks to Shoot, Load or Block.  

At the start of your turn, your capital produces +1 factory bonus to Choose, so you can attack once each turn to your chosen move.

At the start of your turn, if you own either Block or Shoot, the territories will provide a -1 to themselves to clear out ownership for next turn's continents.  Load only empties once you've chosen to shoot.

If you own both Load and Shoot, you grant a -1 factory bonus to your opponent's capital.

Block grants a +1 factory bonus to your own capital, so +1 for blocking and -1 for getting shot results in a net 0 factory bonus.

Shoot + Load also provides +1 to your own capital to keep the game going if both players shoot, resulting in a net 0 to both continents.

By net 0 bonus, I mean that the capital retains the 1 unit keeping the player alive.  If the bonus were -1 (shooting and not blocking/shooting) the capital would lose the 1 unit.  

The problem...  If my Block factory triggers before your Shoot factory, the territory maximum of 1 negates the +1 and only registers the -1 (Simulgear stuffs).  So there's a random chance that you might die when you shouldn't, just because of the order in which the continents triggered.  So... I tried a max of 2 units, but that causes the -1 from shooting to never actually kill the player.  So...  I don't know how to make this work.  Is there a way to make certain continents always trigger first, or is it at random?

2. #2 / 6
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Can't help - I wish I understood Simulgear.

3. #3 / 6
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I believe the continents trigger in alphabetical order, though I can't find the documentation for that...

4. #4 / 6
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

I believe the continents trigger in alphabetical order, though I can't find the documentation for that...

I think they trigger in ASCII order.

I know this has been discussed before by someone else trying to figure this out. Not sure when or who or for what - but I am certain it is not random.

5. #5 / 6
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I believe there is a thread where Tom and I discuss and it depends on the mysql behavior when SELECT [...] ORDER BY ASCENDING is run (or something like that).

6. #6 / 6
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

So...  if I alphabetize them accordingly, I can ensure they always trigger in a particular order?  Though I think in Simulgear it won't matter since it takes turns assigning factories, and I can't ensure  that one will go off before another?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)