Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 33
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hi all

I will be migrating the WarGear server to a new, higher spec server this afternoon to try and alleviate the regular daily performance problems.

The outage shouldn't last more than around half an hour and the autoboot script will be disabled throughout. I will update here once it's complete.

Tom

2. #2 / 33
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The migration is complete - it took a little longer than expected (4 hours not 30 minutes) so apologies for the poor time estimate!

Everything should be migrated across and autoboot / skip has been re-enabled.

The new server is on a faster host (more CPUs, more memory, more disk) in a different datacenter so fingers crossed we won't see the same performance issues as the last host.

3. #3 / 33
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Sounds good Tom :)

4. #4 / 33
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hopefully the new server solves the major issues.

I'm having several small issues today (well after migration complete post).

Many times upon opening a game or a player or a board, no information is found. A refresh is needed.

The site has also stopped responding a couple of times while browsing.

5. #5 / 33
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thanks, Tom!

6. #6 / 33
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:

Hopefully the new server solves the major issues.

I'm having several small issues today (well after migration complete post).

Many times upon opening a game or a player or a board, no information is found. A refresh is needed.

The site has also stopped responding a couple of times while browsing.

To add to this:

Currently many premium features have disappeared (sirdakka noted the same problem). Including seeing unit and territory counts and bonuses.

Personal setting have been resetted multiple times. I changed all the settings back to what I like after I made the above post, and now they have gone back to default again.

Edited Wed 29th Nov 10:22 [history]

7. #7 / 33
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Additionally, there's a bug in who's turn it is to play. I see games on my list which seem to show it's my turn, but when I open the player I see that the other player hasn't taken their turn yet, and it still shows as my turn. Or alternately, I'm not able to finish my turn, and get an error message stating that it's not my turn to play

8. #8 / 33
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I think I've fixed these issues - if you spot anything else let me know.

The issue was the database server rebooting every minute due to a monitoring process which was incorrectly detecting that the database daemon had stopped running. This meant database requests were failing regularly.

9. #9 / 33
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Thanks Tom. Looking smooth now.

10. #10 / 33
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Great!

I forgot to say, if anyone has any issues as a result of the migration (e.g. incorrect boots, missing Premium, vacation days etc) let me know and I will fix asap.

11. #11 / 33
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

As of now, the migration seems to have solved all problems, I think.

The "daily outages" no longer happens. Once the first day problems were behind us, I haven't noticed a single time the site was down. I also haven't noticed the "phantom turn skips" or the actual skips while on vacation.

It's probably best if someone else chimes in with their experience too.

12. #12 / 33
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Nothing as far as I've seen

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

13. #13 / 33
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

No site problems for me either lately. Do you think the "double loss" occurrences which has been known to happen if you surrender are also solved? 

14. #14 / 33
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

Do you think the "double loss" occurrences which has been known to happen if you surrender are also solved? 

I haven't been in the same scenario yet.

All the double losses (or double wins) that I faced in the past 2 months were when someone surrendered on Go-Geared. Not on any other board. I haven't played that board since, so hard to say. (It wasn't counted double everytime someone surrendered, just a lot of times).

My guess would be that the problem was linked with the other server side issues (first time the ranking change was counted, the site did not register it and counted it again). And thus, it *should* be solved. But I don't have experience one way or the other yet.

Edited Thu 7th Dec 01:34 [history]

15. #15 / 33
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

First error. Though, to be fair, it is only a minor one.

In the open games, all the games that I had hidden have come back. It's annoying to see 100+ open games when I generally have only 10 or so visible, and the rest hidden.

16. #16 / 33
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I went and cleared mine again after the migration and it's only showing new ones now

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

17. #17 / 33
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

Do you think the "double loss" occurrences which has been known to happen if you surrender are also solved? 

All the double losses (or double wins) that I faced in the past 2 months were when someone surrendered on Go-Geared. Not on any other board. I haven't played that board since, so hard to say. (It wasn't counted double everytime someone surrendered, just a lot of times).

My guess would be that the problem was linked with the other server side issues (first time the ranking change was counted, the site did not register it and counted it again). And thus, it *should* be solved. But I don't have experience one way or the other yet.

Tom, doesn't all this get fixed during the reindexing?

18. #18 / 33
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Johasi Vidad wrote:
    Pratik wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

Tom, doesn't all this get fixed during the reindexing?

I have a double loss from many months ago still counted. It's just a private game, though, so no biggie. Also a couple of public games from more recent times. None of them on the Go-Geared board, I have never associated this with any particular board, can happen anywhere you can surrender.

19. #19 / 33
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Johasi Vidad wrote:

I went and cleared mine again after the migration and it's only showing new ones now

I too cleared mine again after the server migration.

But now all appear again. Even the ones I had hidden.

20. #20 / 33
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:
    Johasi Vidad wrote:

I too cleared mine again after the server migration.

But now all appear again. Even the ones I had hidden.

Funny mine are still hidden

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)