0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 34
    WWI Flying Ace Red Baron
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Time to bump this topic to the top to ask Tom if he's given any thought to this issue in the past month.

I'm curious because I'm working on a game where I could really use a card option that lets me ramp the cards slowly up and then slowly down in a long cycle.  Even if the fancier card options discussed in this topic are never implemented, it would be nice to have at least that.

2. #22 / 34
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I do agree the card system needs an overhaul, it's going to take a while to implement so it'll have to wait till the tournaments are up and running, sorry.

3. #23 / 34
    Standard Member SaMDaS
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Hello, I have a question about that. Totally noob question btw but I don't understand the meaning of the numbers after Card sets worth: in the cards tab. Could you explain me in detal (for a Risk board game). Thanks in advance.

4. #24 / 34
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hi SaMDaS, welcome to Wargear!

In most games, if you take a territory during your turn you receive a card at the end of your turn. Once you have a set of 3 cards you can trade them in for extra bonus units at the beginning of your turn. Usually the bonus amount increases after each person trades in their cards, so the numbers are showing how many bonus units you will receive when you trade in and how much it will increase every time after that.

5. #25 / 34
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

...as far as the original thread goes, I really like the ideas presented here. Anyone know where we are on implementing this? I'm not a board developer so it could be done for all I know, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any boards with card scales like this

6. #26 / 34
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

There are a lot more options for card scale now than there were at the time this thread was started (which was 5+ years ago... talk about an epic bump!). We don't quite have everything that was suggested here -- for example, it is possible to create a plateau now, but we don't have a way to have increasing cyclical cards.

7. #27 / 34
    Standard Member SaMDaS
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Thanks you very much for your answer! I was wondering about what happened with the option where you change the 3 soldiers = 4, 3 tanks = 6, 3 planes = 8 and 1 of each = 10.

8. #28 / 34
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've never heard of those rules. It seems like you must have implemented a few "house rules" when you play Risk in real life...kind of like a nuke if you roll a triple 6, killing all the enemy troops and allowing you to take the territory immediately =P

9. #29 / 34
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

That system is in a lot of the newer versions of risk and I think it takes a lot away from the game

Board Rating Party - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4289/Board_Rating_Party

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

10. #30 / 34
    Standard Member SaMDaS
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

I have the rules in paper about the Risk and those are the methods it says to change the card for troops. 

3 cannons = 8 troops.

3 horses = 6 troops.

3 soldiers = 4 troops.

1 of each = 10 troops.

Edited Thu 28th Jan 17:56 [history]

11. #31 / 34
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Oh wow...I guess my board is super old, and I didn't realize they changed the rules...not sure I would like it very much...kind of like Stratego switching the numbers on the pieces so that 10 is the Marshal and 1 is the scout. Totally backwards!

12. #32 / 34
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That's the card system I first learned also.

13. #33 / 34
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Yeah originally the scale was 4,6,8,10,12,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55

and then people would either have it plateau at 55 or continue to increment by 5

The first version I played with the sets being worth 4,6,8, or 10 by which kind of set they were was the Lord of the Rings addition

Board Rating Party - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4289/Board_Rating_Party

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

14. #34 / 34
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I always played the 4-6-8-10 as well.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)