193 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 26
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Since the site is aging, the ranking system is hard to approach for new players, and many top players have since retired.  Can we add a seasonal ranking system, so every 3 months or so, the "season" ends and the leader boards are saved for the season?  This would make the system feel more freshly competitive, as well as allow new players to show accomplishments.

2. #2 / 26
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There was the monthly http://www.wargear.net/rankings/show/Board%20Championship/1/?sortfield=rank_score_monthly&sortorder=DESC though it was cool when their was a 'winner' each month that was tabled for everyone's perusal.  Is it still possible to see a list of the monthly winners?

3. #3 / 26
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

How exactly is that monthly calculated? Do you know?

4. #4 / 26
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I pictured it being under Top 10 Players on the home page, so you can get bragging rights.  I think a month is too short with the current pacing, but having a regular reset on something that feels good would be nice.  A new player has a long way to go to top a popular board or get anywhere near the front page.  Having a constantly refreshing list of who's active right now might get people to play more often.  Maybe add a badge thingy for being top 10/5/1 or something in a season.

Edited Wed 12th Apr 07:13 [history]

5. #5 / 26
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'd like to understand how the monthly numbers are calculated. I had 1474 earlier today, now I have 1449. Loss of 25 could be two wins from March 10th and 11th dropping off, they gave me +25 total. But I have "only" risen 356 points after playing the last of those, not 449.

6. #6 / 26
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

I'd like to understand how the monthly numbers are calculated. I had 1474 earlier today, now I have 1449. Loss of 25 could be two wins from March 10th and 11th dropping off, they gave me +25 total. But I have "only" risen 356 points after playing the last of those, not 449.

starts everyone at 1000 and then calculates with the regular GR equation till months end.

7. #7 / 26
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

berickf wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

starts everyone at 1000 and then calculates with the regular GR equation till months end.

How did I lose the 25 points, then? If everyone starts at 1000 I'd lose 20 from a win dropping off, of 40 from two, but not 25. And it's not from new activity, I haven't lost a public game all week. 

Edited Wed 12th Apr 15:51 [history]

8. #8 / 26
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ah, wait, the 25 is probably from a private game I lost. They must count, then.

9. #9 / 26
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

That doesn't seem to give the same "reward" for active participation as a leaderboard for seasonal participation

10. #10 / 26
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

No they don't - but the monthly ranking should be ignored.  It was a good attempt by tom to give a monthly competition.  Now they are a relic.

I agree 100% with what Nygma is trying to do - i'd prefer a system that cleanly removed inactive players and/or had new players be able to meaningfully progress but anything along the lines of giving new players something achievable to strive for will be good -

11. #11 / 26
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    i'd prefer a system that cleanly removed inactive players and/or had new players be able to meaningfully progress but anything along the lines of giving new players something achievable to strive for will be good -

Yes, this!

12. #12 / 26
    Premium Member Mad Bomber
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

Do it...sounds good to me

i want equal amounts of blueberry's
    I play on any field of battle...not just three boards

13. #13 / 26
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

No they don't - but the monthly ranking should be ignored.  It was a good attempt by tom to give a monthly competition.  Now they are a relic.

I agree 100% with what Nygma is trying to do - i'd prefer a system that cleanly removed inactive players and/or had new players be able to meaningfully progress but anything along the lines of giving new players something achievable to strive for will be good -

Yes they do. I just proved it. I lost a private game 30 seconds ago. Monthly ranking 5 minutes ago, 1449. Monthly ranking now, 1425. So private games count for this one for some reason. 

I agree it's nice with meaningful progress for new players.

14. #14 / 26
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

Yes they do. I just proved it. I lost a private game 30 seconds ago. Monthly ranking 5 minutes ago, 1449. Monthly ranking now, 1425. So private games count for this one for some reason. 

I agree it's nice with meaningful progress for new players.

I was going to chime in this yesterday and mention that they definitely do count, but, you figured that out for yourself.  Anyways, I'll confirm it, they do.

15. #15 / 26
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

berickf wrote:

I was going to chime in this yesterday and mention that they definitely do count, but, you figured that out for yourself.  Anyways, I'll confirm it, they do.

I stand corrected.  It's still pretty much meaningless.

16. #16 / 26
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I still think a rotating seasonal leaderboard might keep new players around and give returning players/players who are sitting at the top of boards they don't play a reason to play those games again. 

17. #17 / 26
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

3 or 4 months sounds good.

Edited Fri 14th Apr 15:09 [history]

18. #18 / 26
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would suggest even a year long season. I've been in countless games that have lasted longer than 3 months (though most do finish faster than that)

19. #19 / 26
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Maybe 6 months?  Even that feels long.  I was hoping for some instant gratification for newly active players.  

20. #20 / 26
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Then 4 sounds like the right number. For yearly competition, the Championship is coming up...

Edited Mon 17th Apr 22:20 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)