Private
    Rank Posn

hows this site compared to warfish - comments please 

2. #2 / 18
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

On this site, lots of the old timers refer to warfish as "The Other Site". Or ToS. {#emotions_dlg.rofl}

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

3. #3 / 18
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mrwarrior,  How very forward ..and somewhat indiscreet of you.  I very much hope you are not trolling, though I suspect you might be seeing as you haven't even tried playing a game here.

fwiw, this site exists precisely because of frustration with ToS, where 6 or 7 (or maybe more years ago) there was no support, no development, many bugs, and frequent outages - and my understanding is that the original ownership pretty much just sold it to someone who did nothing to better the site.  Disclaimer: I am one of those refugees from ToS. Over those last 6 or 7 years, this site has enjoyed development and designer tools that blow ToS's out of the water, in large part because the owner pf WarGear (Tom) actually listened to and took advice from the community.  The resulting features (many of which were suggested by members) such as factories, a wiki, and a more sophisticated way of creating good looking boards with fill and fog layers, results in a much better playing experience imho.  Quick question for you if you play at ToS - How are the forums hosted by that site doing over there?

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Fri 13th Jan 19:42 [history]

4. #4 / 18
    Premium Member Mrwarrior
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

TOS is freaking dead.... i play with seven buddies scattered around the US 

tos, POS, was down from dec 23rd til  jan 1st until mr chow awoke from the dead... he does not respond and the site then went down from jan 4th until today

in my serious withdraw from the competitive greatness that  Parker Bros RISK can give you I have looked for a new drug...and hope to have found it... thank you very much for your posts- 

I never troll= in fact I am the originator of the Troll Patrol who hunts down and terrorizes trolls

Looks like I will be here , and may bring some others from the POS TOS

cheers mates 

5. #5 / 18
    Premium Member Mrwarrior
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

and im currently playin my first battle 

6. #6 / 18
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I started playing ToS back in 2007, and designed a couple of popular boards there, but it really started going down hill in 2009, and effectively died in 2010. I left around then to come to WarGear, and have never really looked back.

To the best of my knowledge, the owner of ToS has kept it just barely running, and for some reason people keep playing games there... which I don't understand. It's a dinosaur compared to WarGear, which I hope you'll discover quickly.

The one thing ToS had, again to my great confusion, was a large and active player base. WarGear, despite being superior in pretty much every way that I can imagine, has had a harder time reaching those same player levels. I wish there was a way to directly advertise WarGear on ToS, to grab more players like yourself disillusioned with playing on the corpse of a site.

7. #7 / 18
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>I wish there was a way to directly advertise WarGear on ToS, to grab more players like yourself disillusioned with playing on the corpse of a site.

I wonder how much it would cost to buy a google ad for the term 'war fish'.  Maybe monitor warfish, and just run it when it goes down.

Edited Sat 14th Jan 01:05 [history]

8. #8 / 18
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I think these gentlemen answered the question, especially given they're longer history with ToS.

But I'd still like to add my part.

I was asked to join ToS by some friends about 3 years ago. At first it was fun and great and I just really enjoyed it. But the more I got into it and looked around the more issues I ran into and the more I found out about the bigger problems that had been going on. Mostly hidden by the forums being taken down which was of course long before I got there. I quickly transitioned here after doing a pretty thorough search of the profile comments, and especially over here on the forums just wanting to make sure there was legitimacy to the exodus.

Now along the lines of Kjeld's comment and the disproportionate number of players. I think the forums being gone over there is what lets people be drawn before they run into the issues.

So I got a few game invites from tourneys I had joined over a year ago within the last month (I still  played a little as I tried to transition friends) and so I've began to more openly recruit over there (before i hadn't giving some of the talk against that I had seen over here), but now I have no qualms with it. As I kinda find it wrong to leave them in the dark about the much better site they could be playing on. So if it has and is still continuing to do worse I'll probably be heading over there for some recruiting, especially of some awesome mapmakers that I really wish would come here and could so utilize the vast array of designer tools

Sorry that was a bit long, but just wanted to say my piece

ps I also like your idea Ozy

Board Rating Party - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4289/Board_Rating_Party

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

9. #9 / 18
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Good post JV.  Once it became apparent how messed up it was on ToS, I did a little recruiting before cutting ties. Speaking of cutting - I cut my map-making teeth over there, and you're right - there were some incredible map-designers there, and if the site was managed with just a modicum of care, I don't doubt I'd still be there.  I even remember feeling a little guilty porting my boards over here considering that I was getting paid when I 'sold' them over there.  Last time I tried to recoup funds for boards purchased over there (probably 4 or 5 years ago) I got NADA.

@MrWarrior, please excuse my initial brash response. I made an assumption because of the nature of the title of your post and your apparent lack of activity here. Welcome to the site.  If you would like to try out/learn any of my boards (many are somewhat complicated and use factories to achieve game-play) and want to avoid an official loss, feel free to invite me (and maybe a few others on this thread) to a private game.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

10. #10 / 18
    Premium Member Mrwarrior
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

is there a way to list boards by designers 

i am looking for BOOYAR - his boards are awesome - please let me know and thanks for the feedback here guys  - appreciate all commentary

if POS TOS is ever up again i will be advising my group of players to hit wargear immediately

11. #11 / 18
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

On the boards tab there's a pull-down menu called "Designer" -- that will let you select all boards by any given designer. That said, I don't know BOOYAR, and don't believe he's here, at least under that name.

12. #12 / 18
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Yeah I saw his boards over there and don't think he made it over here.

So could whoever can get back on ToS post here to let us know its up.

I'll check every once in awhile myself

Board Rating Party - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4289/Board_Rating_Party

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

13. #13 / 18
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Booyar sounds familiar, I'm sure I've played with him.  I think his avatar is Optimus Prime. 

He's around somewhere.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

14. #14 / 18
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

15. #15 / 18
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Colossal Crusade is a Booyar map that Yertle ported over, FYI:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Colossal+Crusade

16. #16 / 18
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Searching online, warfish does seem to be irrelevant now (even if players are for some reason holding on). 

Our biggest competition looks to be Conquer Club, Landgrab, Dominating 12, and Major Command.

Most of those sites have more active players and a successful Clans system setup.

I believe we are #1 in maps: maps availabe, and designing features.

Looks like we are #2 or #3 in forum activity, but i definitely think our small community feel is a bonus.

We are probably near the top in support as well.

This was done to the best of my knowledge with searching around on the web.

17. #17 / 18
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Having some sort of online ad would definetly help guide the traffic to our site. When someone types in "Online risk site" we want at least a few pages to reference our site whether its a forum, like reddit, youtube videos showing our site, or another site doing an article on us.

Sorry for hijacking. I thought this was an important tangent.

Edited Sat 14th Jan 18:06 [history]

18. #18 / 18
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

amazingly its up

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)