1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hi all,

I'm designing a new 4-player map based on the Ravenloft D&D module.

The map is in very early design stage -   http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/6897

The map will have magic items sprinkled about which will behave differently for a player based on the persona a player takes (which can change from turn to turn).  Magic items will add a different amount of reinforcements (life force factory flask) to a player based on the item itself and the persona the player has at the start of their turn.  Personas are fighter, wizard, ranger, cleric, and vampire.

I have a list of magic items I'd like to employ as well as locations in Barovia, Castle Ravenloft and the countryside.  However, I'd appreciate any ideas or feedback for items or locations folks would like to see.

2. #2 / 57
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

sounds cool, sign me up as a tester

3. #3 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Will do SG. Thanks.

I've got 3 players set up currently. I'll invite you after I get the 4th player up and running.

4. #4 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ok, I need to tap once more into our great reservoir of mathematicians, both to confirm I have got the correct amount of permutations and to gauge how much work I have left.

Originally, the map was to have 9 magic items, with any 5 granting victory. Thus far, I've only gotten any 4 items set up. To do the any 4, I came out to 56 variations. Does that sound correct?

5. #5 / 57
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

9 choose 4 is 126...

Edited Wed 16th Nov 09:31 [history]

6. #6 / 57
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Easiest way to that, perhaps -- instead of making 126 separate continents of each possible combination of any 4 -- is this:

1. Give each player an off-board capital, I'll call them "counters".

2. Cap each of counter at 4 units.

3. Set each counter to add +3 to each other player's counter. Note: name these continents so that they come first alphabetically (so that they trigger first).

4. Set each magic item to give a -1 bonus to each opponent's counter (set it up so that the magic item plus your counter gives the bonus to the other counters).

Once a player has 4 magic items, it will neutralize every other player's capital, eliminating those players. That might be the easiest route, and make it easy to set up an any-3 and any-5 scenario.

7. #7 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yes, that does sound easier, especially since I want to get to the 5-item version too.  Since I have 2 working designs - the Perils design which you're in and the Ravenloft design which has some of the newer functionality in it already, I'll wait until the test games for the Perils complete and then update it for the offboard counters.

Now, for the 126, can you explain how you got to that figure? I thought I might have missed some, but 56 is a heckuva long way from 126.  Are you sure the 126 count isn't taking into account positioning (ie -  1 2 3 4 is considered a different permutation than 4 3 2 1)?

8. #8 / 57
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

Easiest way to that, perhaps -- instead of making 126 separate continents of each possible combination of any 4 -- is this:

1. Give each player an off-board capital, I'll call them "counters".

2. Cap each of counter at 4 units.

3. Set each counter to add +3 to each other player's counter. Note: name these continents so that they come first alphabetically (so that they trigger first).

4. Set each magic item to give a -1 bonus to each opponent's counter (set it up so that the magic item plus your counter gives the bonus to the other counters).

Once a player has 4 magic items, it will neutralize every other player's capital, eliminating those players. That might be the easiest route, and make it easy to set up an any-3 and any-5 scenario.

Would this method eliminate eliminations?  Sometimes these 'creative' elimination mechanisms don't actually count as eliminations in the game engine.  Not sure about this one though.

9. #9 / 57
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

Now, for the 126, can you explain how you got to that figure? I thought I might have missed some, but 56 is a heckuva long way from 126.  Are you sure the 126 count isn't taking into account positioning (ie -  1 2 3 4 is considered a different permutation than 4 3 2 1)?

126 is correct, it's a basic function of calculating combinations. If you considered positioning, you would have 3024 possible permutations.

In general, to calculate how many ways you can choose r elements from a set of n, you would take: n! / r! (n - r)! 

If you want a quick calculator: http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/combinations-permutations.aspx

@Thingol: Also, I pm'd you a list of all 126 combinations of 4 elements taken out of a list of 9.

Edited Wed 16th Nov 12:21 [history]

10. #10 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That's awesome Kjeld.  Thanks.  Any thoughts on Berick's post?  Will an elim in this fashion count in our stats?

11. #11 / 57
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think that berickf is right in that regard. Which is annoying, but not much we can do about it as designers except come up with some other work-around... but a simple one is not coming to mind!

12. #12 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

hmmm, I wonder if I just bite the bullet on this one then.  BTW, I notice that the 5-item is also 126 combinations, so once I add the missing ones for the 4-items, I would simply need to update each for the 5-item version.

13. #13 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ok, got all 126 in place now, on the Ravenloft design (not on the Perils design).

14. #14 / 57
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:
    Thingol wrote:

126 is correct, it's a basic function of calculating combinations. If you considered positioning, you would have 3024 possible permutations.

In general, to calculate how many ways you can choose r elements from a set of n, you would take: n! / r! (n - r)! 

If you want a quick calculator: http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/combinations-permutations.aspx

@Thingol: Also, I pm'd you a list of all 126 combinations of 4 elements taken out of a list of 9.

Also, fyi - google does combinatorics:

https://www.google.com/search?q=9+choose+4

15. #15 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Having an issue on this map getting the players to receive their normal player factory bonuses correctly - sometimes it works, sometimes not.

The map can be 2, 3, or 4 player and each player has a capital and is setup-based.

Here are the rules:

Lock order in which seats take turn  -  ON

Lock starting bonus and cards to color or seat position -  SEAT

Lock win condition to specified seat number  -  ON

Lock player colors to specified seat number - ON

Color order is orange, blue, maroon, blue-green. What I would like is for the 2-player to be the orange and blue colors.  If player 3, than p3 gets maroon. If player 4, then p4 get blue-green.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Frown

16. #16 / 57
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Might just be easier to do separate scenarios.

17. #17 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That's an idea.  I'll do that. Thanks Ed.  Smile

18. #18 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

This map is now released in beta version.  There are 2-player, 3-player, 4-player scenarios as well as a basic 4-player version which pairs down some of the functionality of the finished map. I encourage folks to try this out and start with the basic version first. Smile

19. #19 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The Ravenloft Map (Ravenloft 4) has gone live. I've created a small 16-player tourney to celebrate - http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/2207.  It's a private tourney. If anyone has an interest and they are not invited, please PM me or message here.

Thanks so much to Kjeld and Edward Nygma for their very early and continued assistance with this and big thanks to the following players who helped playtest and also offered lots of feedback/suggestions:

Andernut, Korrun, Johasi Vidad, Ozyman, M57, Amidon37, Afrodaby, Psilofyr, Slander, mbrennan, Mongo, berickf, ratsy, itsnotatumor, weathertop, Nikolai, bshuk, Twisted, Ceggon, Chele Nica, Cona Chris, SquintGnome and j-bomb.

For players new to the map, it's recommended you start out with the 'Really Basic' scenario.  Please give it a try.

20. #20 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Open game for the complex scenario - http://www.wargear.net/games/join/562102.

Open game for the basic scenario - http://www.wargear.net/games/join/562683.

Need 1 player for each.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)