203 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Standard Member warqueer
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How come it always seems the person winning has incredible luck?  My luck charts always look like a fork in road, win or lose.  ive had incredible starts and lost and had very bad luck, and vise versa.

2. #2 / 8
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It makes sense that those with good luck would usually be the winner in a two player game (which I notice you play a significant portion of the time). In order for someone who has good luck to lose in a two player game they would have to have a terrible strategy...kind of like if you played a 3 year old. 

In larger games I have seen people with horrendous luck pull out a win though. This one comes to mind: http://www.wargear.net/games/player/443502

If you want luck to play less of a factor in your games, I suggest branching out to larger games more often. And if you're interesting in climbing the ranks (which I think you are due to another post of yours) you will gain points much faster in larger games than in small ones.

3. #3 / 8
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

AfroDaby wrote:

It makes sense that those with good luck would usually be the winner in a two player game (which I notice you play a significant portion of the time). In order for someone who has good luck to lose in a two player game they would have to have a terrible strategy...kind of like if you played a 3 year old. 

In larger games I have seen people with horrendous luck pull out a win though. This one comes to mind: http://www.wargear.net/games/player/443502

If you want luck to play less of a factor in your games, I suggest branching out to larger games more often. And if you're interesting in climbing the ranks (which I think you are due to another post of yours) you will gain points much faster in larger games than in small ones.

I generally agree, but one person doesn't need terrible strategy to lose with good dice, but an imbalance between good and great can be enough as well. Look at berickf on his duel boards. Even if he has bad dice, you make one mistake and he'll still take you.  

4. #4 / 8
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That's a good point

5. #5 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Could it also be because the scale on the luck graphs depends on the values of luck, so whether someones luck was +10 or +100 it would still look similar on a glance.

This of course doesn't even get into the normalization of luck for the length of games, that has also been discussed here in the past.

6. #6 / 8
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Conclusion: 

It looks worse than it actually is, but luck plays a role in this game.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

7. #7 / 8
    Premium Member IRsmart
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

The luck chart is not purely luck!

If you attack 3vs2 on a 6v6 dice, your chances of winning are higher. The luck chart only considers wins vs losses, but not the chances in a battle. 

It may be that better players know how to use these chances better and therefore seem like they have more luck. This will esp be the case on boards with altered dice

8. #8 / 8
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

IRsmart wrote:

The luck chart is not purely luck!

If you attack 3vs2 on a 6v6 dice, your chances of winning are higher. The luck chart only considers wins vs losses, but not the chances in a battle. 

It may be that better players know how to use these chances better and therefore seem like they have more luck. This will esp be the case on boards with altered dice

I'm pretty sure the Luck stats algorithm is a bit more sophisticated than this, taking into account both the # of dice attacking and defending as well as the # of sides on all dice.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)