Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 27
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Damn spell check.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

2. #22 / 27
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I've been here for 4 years, mostly as a standard member, typically with 10 games on the go and I don't think this situation has occurred to me once. At most I'd say one player on vacation has held up 2 or 3 games.

Edited Sun 21st Jun 18:05 [history]

3. #23 / 27
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Xrayjay wrote:

I've been here for 4 years, mostly as a standard member, typically with 10 games on the go and I don't think this situation has occurred to me once. At most I'd say one player on vacation has held up 2 or 3 games.

I float about 15 games on average and I've see 2 or 3 games held up at least a dozen times  - probably closer to a couple dozen. It may be the circle of players who play the boards I play, but..

It's most frustrating when it's a 7+ day vacation. - and even more frustrating when it's part of a tournament - and holding up more than just that single game.  Come to think of it, there have been just as many times where a tournament has been held up by players on vacation in games I'm not even in..  And that's only counting those I've noticed because I happened to be looking at other games in the tournament.

Edited Sun 21st Jun 19:21 [history]

4. #24 / 27
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The whole concept here is to play an asynchronous game with people from anywhere in a variety of conditions. 

Given that requirement, I don't think a 7 day hold up is actually that unreasonable. I mean, it's not great, I check in at least everyday... but I don't think it's unreasonable.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #25 / 27
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

The whole concept here is to play an asynchronous game with people from anywhere in a variety of conditions. 

Given that requirement, I don't think a 7 day hold up is actually that unreasonable. I mean, it's not great, I check in at least everyday... but I don't think it's unreasonable.

The expectations associated with asynchronous play are morphing somewhat, wouldn't you say? Only a handful of decades ago play-by mail-meant a game of chess could last months, so taking an extra 7-days to make a move wasn't as impactful. Of course, the post moved slower than today's electrons. A handful of decades ago asynchronous games by and large only had two players, not 5, 10 or even 15,  And perhaps most importantly, a handful of decades ago players had to set up and have access to a physical chess board, writing accoutrements, and even had to find time to make a trip to the post.  Access is the key here.  And there's plenty of it everywhere you go these days.  As every month passes, lack of access becomes less and less a deterrent to play. I get the impression that most players take vacations not because they don't have access, but because they have time.

6. #26 / 27
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I agree with you M57. 

I think the key here is managing our own expectations, and keeping it real.

Given the medium, it's pretty impressive that sometimes games happen relatively fast. 

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

7. #27 / 27
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

I think the key here is managing our own expectations, and keeping it real.

A little incentive wouldn't hurt..

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4139/Vacation_By_Game_Idea

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)