207 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 16
    Standard Member COL JR
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

My dad is about to ban me from this game. Why do so many adults have to swear at us younger players?

Mods what are you doing to prevent this?

2. #2 / 16
    Standard Member Xrayjay
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I find that there is a surprising lack of swearing in games. I teach and probably swear 5 times a lecture....and every other word in normal conversation. On here I never swear at all cause nobody else does.

3. #3 / 16
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Under settings, one of the first options is to censor swear words.

In your Face!

4. #4 / 16
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Xrayjay wrote:

I find that there is a surprising lack of swearing in games. I teach and probably swear 5 times a lecture....and every other word in normal conversation. On here I never swear at all cause nobody else does.

Hehehe... Chemistry Prof that swears like a sailor.... I bet your lectures are entertaining. :)

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #5 / 16
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

COL JR wrote:

My dad is about to ban me from this game. Why do so many adults have to swear at us younger players?

Mods what are you doing to prevent this?

I'm surprised to see this. I see little to no swearing in my games, but that also depends on who you play with I suppose.  Veterans are the least likely to trash talk. If you think someone is being abusive report it to Tom. 

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

6. #6 / 16
    Standard Member zdisabled_57d85874
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/423271

I have seen this user cuss like no tomorrow in countless games.  How is he still here?

7. #7 / 16
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

donthurtme wrote:

I have seen this user cuss like no tomorrow in countless games.  How is he still here?

Probably because he plays mostly lightning games and us players who tend to monitor for such behavior do not play a lot of those.

Suggest you send a note to tom -

8. #8 / 16
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is a policy against using "bad" language. There is a setting to filter out swear words if you have a problem with seeing it.

Under settings, one of the first options is to censor swear words.

In your Face!

9. #9 / 16
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

there's not a policy against it, no; however, if it gets really bad then users have been warned in the past. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 16
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

donthurtme wrote:

I second this. http://www.wargear.net/games/view/416947

11. #11 / 16
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I agree with Reich. I curse in game chat too because I know the filter exists. I try not to get too creative with my profanity just to make sure that whatever's supposed to get screened out, does.

But, as long as we're here complaining... Ivan has been getting on my nerves now for many years. I don't bother about his language (both examples given seem fairly innocuous to me) but his unfair play with his buddies I find intolerable though just short, I suppose, of technical rule-breaking.

But, that's me I guess - I find disrespectful and/or non-sporting play (like for example repeatedly trying to quit games when the first couple of turns don't go your way) much more bothersome than an f-bomb here or there.

Been gone a while. You all did a good job holding down the fort.

12. #12 / 16
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It doesn't bother me so much, but I wouldn't want the growth of the site inhibited because the next generation of risk brains were not ushered in gracefully.

13. #13 / 16
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Abishai wrote:

It doesn't bother me so much, but I wouldn't want the growth of the site inhibited because the next generation of risk brains were not ushered in gracefully.

The phrases uttered by my friends and I at 10 years old would make a sailor blush. The RISK table was a laboratory for new phrases describing what might happen to a competitor's mother that are only anatomically possible in the naive mind of a child. Seeing one of Carlin's words go by on the internet should be the least of any parents' worries.

Personally, I try to be a bit more polite in front of strangers, but am not, personally, the least bit worried that any future strategists should be turned away by dirty table talk.

For those that would, there is the filter.

In your Face!

14. #14 / 16
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:
    Abishai wrote:

The phrases uttered by my friends and I at 10 years old would make a sailor blush. The RISK table was a laboratory for new phrases describing what might happen to a competitor's mother that are only anatomically possible in the naive mind of a child. Seeing one of Carlin's words go by on the internet should be the least of any parents' worries.

Personally, I try to be a bit more polite in front of strangers, but am not, personally, the least bit worried that any future strategists should be turned away by dirty table talk.

For those that would, there is the filter.

I just know that there are parents out there that diligently regulate what their child is allowed to do on the internet.  So it isn't really up to how the kid talks around his friends, but more so what the parent finds acceptable by their own, possibly very strict, standards.

15. #15 / 16
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

There is a swearing filter - I suggest you enable it from your settings page:

Censor swear words       Off       On       

If messages get abusive then I'm certainly happy to step in and ban players if necessary - just PM me or drop me an email

Edited Fri 27th Feb 14:43 [history]

16. #16 / 16
    Standard Member zdisabled_b0c46970
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:

I agree with Reich. I curse in game chat too because I know the filter exists. I try not to get too creative with my profanity just to make sure that whatever's supposed to get screened out, does.

But, as long as we're here complaining... Ivan has been getting on my nerves now for many years. I don't bother about his language (both examples given seem fairly innocuous to me) but his unfair play with his buddies I find intolerable though just short, I suppose, of technical rule-breaking.

But, that's me I guess - I find disrespectful and/or non-sporting play (like for example repeatedly trying to quit games when the first couple of turns don't go your way) much more bothersome than an f-bomb here or there.

Personally, I agree, though I usually *** my cursing, because it's mostly jut my frustration, and is not directed at other players. 

Also, if your going to quit because a few turns don't work out, you shouldn't play competitive games. I enjoy fighting my way back into games, albeit with a bit (sometimes a lot) of grumbling about my dice luck.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)