Pages:   12345   (5 in total)
  1. #61 / 81
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:

I'm starting to get used to Native player now, but I'm wondering though why the graphics don't seem as good.

The reason for the different appearance of the graphics is because Flash uses flood fills to fill the graphical elements whereas the Native player uses SVG which is a vector approximation of the flood fill. As it's using straight line elements to approximate the fill pattern it's not exactly the same as a flood fill.

Ultimately Designers can update their designs to fix the difference in fills but it's unfortunately going to be a little trial and error based as ultimately the Designer is Flash based so it won't accurately represent the appearance in the Native player. I suppose the only way to fix this is to move to a Native Designer!

2. #62 / 81
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I suppose the only way to fix this is to move to a Native Designer!

Yikes!  It does make sense though. If designers are ultimately responsible for the look of a board, then the 'designer' needs to be completely WYSIWYG down to the pixel.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

3. #63 / 81
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    I suppose the only way to fix this is to move to a Native Designer!

Is that going to truly fix the "issue"? It sounds like it would only show the issue at a slightly earlier stage (in the Designer rather than the Game Player), with the main issue being how the Native version does not honor down to the pixel precision.  Is there a true fix for that?  If not then would it still be a lot of trial and error to find the right balance between what works and what doesn't for the Fill?

You have been granted the title of Strategist!

4. #64 / 81
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think the only real fix to a vector display is to make vector images. Likelihood of finding a perfect translation is pretty small. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet
    Edited Tue 20th May 23:57 [history]

5. #65 / 81
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Does that mean uploading board images as .SVG files?  Will the board editor handle those?

6. #66 / 81
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I doubt the editor handles .SVG, and would it even help if you were still creating in a  non-vector editor?

IMO - the easiest  fix is to use dual layer boards.  Make your borders on the board layer thicker than the borders on the fill layer, and it won't matter whether the fill is off by a pixel or two, because the thicker border on the board layer will cover it either way.

7. #67 / 81
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

IMO - the easiest  fix is to use dual layer boards.  Make your borders on the board layer thicker than the borders on the fill layer, and it won't matter whether the fill is off by a pixel or two, because the thicker border on the board layer will cover it either way.

I worry there may be more than just this, for example the My Kingdom board is Dual Layer with a few pixels between territories and it still gets thrown off in the Native Player with wrong player colors getting filled on wrong territories.

8. #68 / 81
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

But if the designer is native, you should at least be able to use the 'test fill" feature to make sure things look right and are functional, right?

9. #69 / 81
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i would think that's true M57, and that while it's not perfect, it's at least something that can work

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #70 / 81
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

I worry there may be more than just this, for example the My Kingdom board is Dual Layer with a few pixels between territories and it still gets thrown off in the Native Player with wrong player colors getting filled on wrong territories.

It's been my experience that fill layer images that have complete lines on them tend to fill correctly.  Where as when your 1 pixel thick border has two pixels that are diagonal to one another (still touching for a flood fill) then the native player fills other stuff, not just your intended territory.

It's a bit of a PITA, but forces us to pay attention to our boards.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

11. #71 / 81
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

It's been my experience that fill layer images that have complete lines on them tend to fill correctly.  Where as when your 1 pixel thick border has two pixels that are diagonal to one another (still touching for a flood fill) then the native player fills other stuff, not just your intended territory.

My Kingdom has at least 7 pixels between the Fill Territories.  The territories between the territories for the Fillmap is nothing (no color), I wonder if that would make a difference...

12. #72 / 81
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

hmm... Not sure how it handles transparent...

13. #73 / 81
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

Can you post a screenshot showing this? I've checked that board a few times and can't identify a problem.

14. #74 / 81
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:
    Yertle wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

This would make sense. It should be possible to create a dev board image which demonstrates the problem.

15. #75 / 81
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Yertle wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

Can you post a screenshot showing this? I've checked that board a few times and can't identify a problem.

Screenshots of the game or a copy of the Fillmap? I sent some screenshots via email on May 6, did you receive those?  They were taken from here: http://www.wargear.net/games/player/362464http://www.wargear.net/games/player/362464?player=flash

16. #76 / 81
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Oops - just found your email in a spam folder. Replied {#emotions_dlg.thumb}

17. #77 / 81
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Oops - just found your email in a spam folder. Replied {#emotions_dlg.thumb}

I replied back...may check the spam folder {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

18. #78 / 81
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The Color difference between the players is quite significant.

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/369267

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/369267?player=flash

The look on the Native player is closer to what I uploaded. It almost looks as if the flash player fuses/burns the board image with the fog image. Because the Designer is Flash (right?), I'm always working with the 'burned' image, so it's a shock to open up a game in the Native and see the softer colors. 

Waterloo is another board that looks astonishingly different in the players - looking MUCH better in the Native.

19. #79 / 81
    Standard Member Sun Tzu Jr
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Under the old system, if you were on a mobile (iOS) device both buttons would launch the Native Player.  Under the new system if you are on a mobile device and hit the red button it now launches the Flash Player, or at least attempts to - and prompts you to install Flash.  A combination of my fat fingers and my habitual pressing of the red button makes this happen pretty often.

Would it be possible to make both buttons launch the Native Player on a iOS like it did before?

Thanks 

20. #80 / 81
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

SunTzu:

I know that you can set which launcher the green button opens in your settings. 

I think the setting is called default player.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345   (5 in total)