5 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12345   (5 in total)
  1. #1 / 81
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It's high time the Flash Player was dropped so I'm planning to change the Default player to Native to help progress this. It will still be possible to select the Flash player if you prefer as before.

To support those boards that will only work with the Flash player (due to pixel border issues) the Board Designer now includes a 'Player Type' option. If set, this will force the player to  use the specified Player type.

Firstly, does anyone have any major concerns with this approach and secondly does anyone know of any particular boards that HAVE to use the Flash player so I can update them?

2. #2 / 81
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A single scenario in my Random Mazes map doesn't work in the native player (other scenarios are ok).  Not because of pixel border issues, but some other weird bug.  Compare these two links:

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/335683?player=native

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/335683

All of the territories are shifted over for some weird reason. 

I think it would be better to fix the bug in the scenario or native player (wherever the fault lies), than just setting it to default to Flash, although that's I guess a reasonable work around if the bug is a tricky one.

3. #3 / 81
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was just checking out the Native Player, which I admit I normally only use only when I have to (e.g., on an iPad). I still prefer the Flash Player, and one big reason is that I can click on the player or team and highlight their territories.  This is a huge feature for me.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

4. #4 / 81
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I was just checking out the Native Player, which I admit I normally only use only when I have to (e.g., on an iPad). I still prefer the Flash Player, and one big reason is that I can click on the player or team and highlight their territories.  This is a huge feature for me.

That works for me in both players (chrome on windows)

5. #5 / 81
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

No worky on iMac - Chrome or Safari - I'll check on my PC at work tomorrow.

6. #6 / 81
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Dungeon, I believe, only works with Flash.

7. #7 / 81
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Another annoyance with the native player is that you can't do 'board explorer' mode & still see the current state of the board.  You can do this on the 'board' tab with the flash player.

8. #8 / 81
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Another annoyance with the native player is that you can't do 'board explorer' mode & still see the current state of the board.  You can do this on the 'board' tab with the flash player.

yeah, that's the main reason I don't use the native player. 

Although just switching between tabs to do it isn't so bad.

Edited Thu 17th Apr 01:02 [history]

9. #9 / 81
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I only use native when I'm far from the computer and playing on my wife's (htc) phone as neither seem to work on my (Nokia) phone.  Even then I find playing on the phone to be tedious and generally avoid it if possible.  On the PC the look and feel of the native player just doesn't compare to the flash version, so, no contest there.

10. #10 / 81
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Just a suggestion to all of you who say that you don't use Native because it doesn't look as good as Flash:   You should force yourself to use the Native version more than once in a a blood moon (trying to be topical!!).  I agree that the original version that came out was a little clunky and wasn't as "pretty," so to speak as the Java.  But the latest version of the Native player has all the same features as the Java (including the highlight feature that M57 was asking about) and Tom is really adding more glitz and glamour, and at this point, I think it's more streamlined than the Java version, once you get used to the fact that some buttons are in different locations that you were used to.

Tom - Keep up the good work.

11. #11 / 81
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:

But the latest version of the Native player has all the same features as the Java (including the highlight feature that M57 was asking about)

This is great. I must be doing it wrong.  So how do I highlight a player's territories or a team's territories in the Native Player?   In the Flash player I just click on the player's name.  When I click on a name in the Native player, nothing highlights - not on a PC with Chrome or Explorer, or on a Mac with Chrome or Safari.

12. #12 / 81
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

same way as flash; at least it does on mine in both FF and chrome. though i have noticed that there are some boards where it doesn't highlight correctly all the time (i'll keep an eye on which ones doesn't)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 81
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I checked firefox & chrome for me too (win7) and I get a drop shadow and red glowy halo around territories when I click a players name in the info box under native player.

14. #14 / 81
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I spoke too soon.  I found a map where clicking the names doesn't seem to work.  Unfortunately it's foggy, so you guys can't see it:

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/320760?player=native

The interesting thing on this map is that 2 territories do light up, but the rest do not. 

15. #15 / 81
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Similar behavior here (not foggy):

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/330917?player=native

Only territories in the 6 lefthand columns light up.

Edited Fri 18th Apr 02:52 [history]

16. #16 / 81
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've only been checking on my boards.  I just checked on the Mars 2210 board and it works.  Perhaps it's a designer feature I don't use.  I don't have time to check right now, but I'll take a look sometime later today.

17. #17 / 81
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I spoke too soon.  I found a map where clicking the names doesn't seem to work.  Unfortunately it's foggy, so you guys can't see it:

The interesting thing on this map is that 2 territories do light up, but the rest do not. 

I'm in this one.  The passage and narrow passage territories light up - the room ones do not.

18. #18 / 81
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Go-Geared games rely on a Neutral Fill Color that doesn't seem to work in the Native player.

19. #19 / 81
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

I'm in this one.  The passage and narrow passage territories light up - the room ones do not.

That's what I see too.  Very strange.  There is the same sort of fill/fog/board map in all those territories, so I don't think it can be an image based bug.   But it seems odd that the name of the territory would affect it...  Can't think of what else it could be.

20. #20 / 81
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Special characters?

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345   (5 in total)