179 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 51
    Standard Member soft wizard
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

My apologies for making what amounts to a giant brag, but a few minutes ago, I became the number one-ranked player on the wargear warfare board. I am kind of psyched about this.

2. #2 / 51
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

soft wizard wrote: My apologies for making what amounts to a giant brag, but a few minutes ago, I became the number one-ranked player on the wargear warfare board. I am kind of psyched about this.

Congratulations!

As for my part, no apologies needed.  I'm just envious.  Maybe some day I'll have something to brag about...

3. #3 / 51
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Congrats! Cool achievement and a tougher one as well, take a screenshot or two to save!

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

4. #4 / 51
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Congrats soft wizard! Perhaps a name change is in order. Maybe 'sneaky' wizard or 'badass' wizard?

5. #5 / 51
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I told my wife that I'm the best Risk player in the world. Boy was she proud!

If I change my name I'll be doomed! I think maybe people go easy on me because of it. If anything, I'd change it to "cuddly puppy"--I mean, who could kick cuddly puppy's quickly-amassing armies out of New Guinea?

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, guys.

6. #6 / 51
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

soft wizard wrote: I told my wife that I'm the best Risk player in the world. Boy was she proud!

If I change my name I'll be doomed! I think maybe people go easy on me because of it. If anything, I'd change it to "cuddly puppy"--I mean, who could kick cuddly puppy's quickly-amassing armies out of New Guinea?

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, guys.

It sounds like you need more challenges.  Try some other boards.

7. #7 / 51
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

soft wizard wrote: ... a few minutes ago, I became the number one-ranked player on the wargear warfare board. I am kind of psyched about this.

Congrats!  This is a big achievement for the #1-played board on the site!

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

8. #8 / 51
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>Congrats!  This is a big achievement for the #1-played board on the site!

Especially for a standard member.  Nice job Soft Wizard!

9. #9 / 51
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm even impressed with this and I am usually only impressed with myself.  Well done.

I don't know whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt

10. #10 / 51
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Thanks, everybody! I'm not entirely sure how it happened.

11. #11 / 51
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amazingly, almost all of your games were not fogged.  I would have not thought that possible.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

12. #12 / 51
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Amazingly, almost all of your games were not fogged.  I would have not thought that possible.

Why? What's the impact of no fog?

Congrats, soft wizard, well done.

13. #13 / 51
    Premium Member Cona Chris
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Congratulations - that is a very impressive achievement!

14. #14 / 51
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I have thought that the #1 player on this board should get more recognition - considering there has been (as of now) 90,156 games played on this and 112,744 on all other boards combined.  (Stats from the list of live boards available to board reviewers)  (The next closest being Colossal Crusade and Antastic! with 10,278 and 10,038 respectively and then it goes downhill quickly from there.)

15. #15 / 51
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Huh. I wouldn't have necessarily thought fog made it easier to win (unless you happen to be uniquely good at playing with fog, which I don't believe I am).

I've been playing online off and on for 10 years and learned a lot from some truly great players in online version of the old Risk II computer game. Some of those guys would do very well here, but I have no idea if they still play. I think my true advantage is in 7, 8, and 9 player games because of that. Those are the types of games we played, and those were the types of games I played on the fairly short-lived Facebook version of Risk. But for whatever reason, those 7-9 player games are in my wheelhouse. Ten player games haven't been so far, though. Maybe it's small sample size or lack of experience with that. I apparently suck in those, though.

Out of curiosity, what is the best/most popular board on this site other than Wargear Warfare?

16. #16 / 51
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

I have thought that the #1 player on this board should get more recognition - considering there has been (as of now) 90,156 games played on this and 112,744 on all other boards combined.  (Stats from the list of live boards available to board reviewers)  (The next closest being Colossal Crusade and Antastic! with 10,278 and 10,038 respectively and then it goes downhill quickly from there.)

Unfortunately, unless my next result is a win, I'll be banished back behind that Hugh guy. That jerk. He just sits there resting on his laurels, and I've been chasing him for months. Hah.

Edited Fri 8th Mar 12:19 [history]

17. #17 / 51
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

soft wizard wrote:

Out of curiosity, what is the best/most popular board on this site other than Wargear Warfare?

You can sort by rating or popularity on the grid view of the boards page.

By Rating:

#1) Collosal Crusade - A straightforward big world map.

#2) My Kingdom - This is a *simulgear* board.  Gameplay is radically different

#3) Invention - Kind of like a cross between civilization & Risk

#4) Civil War - Straightforward map of the USA.

#5) Wargear Warfare

By popularity:

#1) Wargear Warfare

#2) Collosal Crusade

#3) Antastic - fairly straightforward ants in tunnels map.

#4) War - Also the standard risk board

#5) Micro Mission - a minimalist version of the Risk board.

18. #18 / 51
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You could try for the trifecta by being first on WarGear Warfare, Global Warfare, and War :P

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

19. #19 / 51
    Standard Member btilly
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

soft wizard wrote:
    M57 wrote:

Huh. I wouldn't have necessarily thought fog made it easier to win (unless you happen to be uniquely good at playing with fog, which I don't believe I am).

It is not that fog makes it easier to win.  It is that fog increases the skill differential.  In non-fogged games people can see what you're doing and gang up on the leader.

I've been playing online off and on for 10 years and learned a lot from some truly great players in online version of the old Risk II computer game. Some of those guys would do very well here, but I have no idea if they still play. I think my true advantage is in 7, 8, and 9 player games because of that. Those are the types of games we played, and those were the types of games I played on the fairly short-lived Facebook version of Risk. But for whatever reason, those 7-9 player games are in my wheelhouse. Ten player games haven't been so far, though. Maybe it's small sample size or lack of experience with that. I apparently suck in those, though.

That is a question of personal taste, you'll need to try and see.  There are a ton of boards, and people like different ones.  Given that I don't like Wargear Warfare very much, I'm probably a bad guide for what you'll like.  But f you like playing large groups, then large boards like Colossal Crusade, Europe 1560, and Medieval Europe may be to your taste.

20. #20 / 51
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

btilly wrote:

It is not that fog makes it easier to win.  It is that fog increases the skill differential.  In non-fogged games people can see what you're doing and gang up on the leader.

This was my thinking.  Additionally, people don't play the numbers as much as I thought they might. See this thread.

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/3081p1/Who_do_you_hit

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)