206 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 57
    Standard Member RoyalCrown
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I'm just curious from those of you that are a premium member what the benefits truly are. $10.00 a month is quite high (xbox live is only $60.00 a year). Is there anything that can justify me becoming a premium member for twice as much as xbox live?

2. #2 / 57
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

It's not $10/month.  It's $10 for 3 months, or $30 for a whole year.

Here is what you get:

http://www.wargear.net/help/display/Premium%20Membership

For me the main benefit is the hope that WarGear will still be up and kicking a year from now.

Edited Mon 28th Jan 15:14 [history]

3. #3 / 57
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

For me the main benefit is the hope that WarGear will still be up and kicking a year from now.

+1

Even if I didn't get any benefits by being a premium member, I'd be throwing Tom $30/year just because he's earned it.  I think of it as the Public Television of gaming websites:  that $30 is my yearly contribution to keep Tom afloat.  This is one of the few well maintained gaming sites I've seen online, especially so given that this is just kind of a side job for him (from what I know).

I'll probably stepping up to the "Platinum Contribution Level" once those "Yanni - Live at the Acropolis" DVD's become available during the June pledge drive weekend.

4. #4 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+1

Xbox is a whole different type of gaming. If that's your thing, more power to ya.

5. #5 / 57
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

+1

Even if I didn't get any benefits by being a premium member, I'd be throwing Tom $30/year just because he's earned it.  I think of it as the Public Television of gaming websites:  that $30 is my yearly contribution to keep Tom afloat.  This is one of the few well maintained gaming sites I've seen online, especially so given that this is just kind of a side job for him (from what I know).

I'll probably stepping up to the "Platinum Contribution Level" once those "Yanni - Live at the Acropolis" DVD's become available during the June pledge drive weekend.

+1

You know now that you mention it I'd sign up for a "platinum" just too get a cooler player profile or a T-shirt in the mail.  =)

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...
    Edited Mon 28th Jan 18:36 [history]

6. #6 / 57
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I see that you (RC) play all lightning two player games so the benefits I value may not apply to you - namely the game summary stats and being able to take vacations.

Also certainly +1 Ozy's main point also.  There was about 8 months where I had less than 10 games going at a time, but I still kept premium just because I like it here.

7. #7 / 57
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1

Double Secret Platinum could include cheats to roll 6s.  ..but then I guess I'd be happy enough to get a T-shirt.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

8. #8 / 57
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Uhh... I spend $30 on half a tank of gas - a meal out - or a movie these days.  For a year of Wargear; where i can design maps, play games, see stats, otherwise bother other players, and essentially be unlimited in what can be done here...  the price is worth the ride. 

I like the tournaments, and the vacation is sweet. I don't need to lose because I'm away from this addiction for a while.  

O yeah, then I get to ask things of Tom and he does them. Ans then i get to break things, and he fixes them.  And I get to ask a bunch of dumb questions which he patiently answers everytime. Which makes it worth giving the guy some change. 

Smile

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

9. #9 / 57
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Even american change. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

10. #10 / 57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

FYI - you can get a t-shirt from the zazzle store.  I know I wear mine proudly.  I'm not sure Tom get's anything from that though.

11. #11 / 57
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

FYI - you can get a t-shirt from the zazzle store.  I know I wear mine proudly.  I'm not sure Tom get's anything from that though.

I helped set that up...so far there's about $4 in the pot from sales...if everyone bought more stuff then perhaps a T-Shirt could go to some Design Winners or specific Tournament winners :)

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

12. #12 / 57
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

I see that you (RC) play all lightning two player games so the benefits I value may not apply to you - 

Not to take away from Standard accounts, but perhaps starting Real Time games should be Premium only (joining could remain open).

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

13. #13 / 57
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

I see that you (RC) play all lightning two player games so the benefits I value may not apply to you - 

Not to take away from Standard accounts, but perhaps starting Real Time games should be Premium only (joining could remain open).

+1  If people are only occasional users that's one thing, but if people are playing a premium number of games, but staying under the standard cap by playing only lightnings... I say give the extra incentive to cough up the 82 cents a day.  I paid after my first week, when I realized I wanted more games and to see my stats.

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

14. #14 / 57
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I would pay NOT to see your stats (they include too many wins vs me).

15. #15 / 57
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i like this site the way it is. i pay for a membership because i enjoy playing here against all of you, Tom has done a great job of making something out of nothing, and kudos to him. i love the fact that this site allows so much flexibility for non members, it is a great way to run a site, and still keep people intrested so they don't run away.i always thought he should lower it even more for a membership, but my motto is less is more. as for a tshirt or a mug. i'd gladly take both for winning a board contest. i would enjoy a cup of coffee in my wargear tshirt as i watch my luck stats go down the drain!    

don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things!

16. #16 / 57
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

can i get alink to the wargear store. i think i want a new coffee mug!  :)

17. #17 / 57
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

http://www.zazzle.com/wargear

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

18. #18 / 57
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:

+1  If people are only occasional users that's one thing, but if people are playing a premium number of games, but staying under the standard cap by playing only lightnings... I say give the extra incentive to cough up the 82 cents a day.  I paid after my first week, when I realized I wanted more games and to see my stats.

Lightning/real-time play seems to be very popular, so since those players (like RC) see no carrots in the premium privileges  perhaps some sticks should be used.  Maybe limiting standards to starting 1 rt/light game a day or something like that.

19. #19 / 57
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

but what's the point of having everyone premium members (other than the obvious and hopefully apparent incentive for tom to keep things going)?

i'd rather see 100 regular standard members than only 20 regular premium members. as long as we can keep a reasonable ratio of standard/premium i think we're good.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

20. #20 / 57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

> if people are playing a premium number of games, but staying under the standard cap by playing only lightnings.

IMO, if someone is playing a lot of lightning games, they are probably putting a "premium level" of load on the wargear hardware. 

> Maybe limiting standards to starting 1 rt/light game a day or something like that.

+1

It's always a bit weird talking about this stuff, because Tom is the only one who has the numbers to decide what makes sense for the site.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)