205 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Well I finally won my first game (http://www.wargear.net/games/view/219391). It only took 16 tries, but still disproves the myths about newbies and standard membership players not being able to win.

Since I think I will be sticking around for a little while, I thought this would be a good excuse to introduce myself.

I am a music teacher in Florida with a wonderful wife and a 2 year old daughter. I like to read (mostly sci-fi and some non-boring non-fiction) and play board games (Reiner Knizia, Christian Freeling, and Uwe Rosenberg are my current favorite designers). I dabble a little in math and computer programming and have always been interested in game design.

I found this site recently when I finally upgraded to the smart-phone era and decided I should start playing some more online games. I have played Stellar Crisis for a long time (which unfortunately does not have very many players anymore) and occasionally play Zertz and such on GamesByEmail, but wanted something new. After plowing through the links for turn-based games on Board Game Geek (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/On-line_Games), I came across this site and was thrilled by the variety of games available and hooked by the idea of doing some casual game design.

Thanks to all of the friendly people that I have met so far, and thanks to tom for providing such a great place!

2. #2 / 9
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

And to think, you beat some of the best to get your first win!  {#emotions_dlg.clap}

Congrats, and welcome to WarGear. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

3. #3 / 9
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Congrats on the win!

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

4. #4 / 9
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Welcome to WarGear!  Seeing your knowledge of other board games and how you have seemed to pick up the graphics creation piece, I expect some awesome board designs from you Korrun!

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

5. #5 / 9
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Congrats, let the wins keep coming!

Off Topic!

6. #6 / 9
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

And to think there was a time when Korrun lost 15 games in a row, that's hard to believe now!

7. #7 / 9
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That was my longest losing streak (followed by a 10, 9, and 8 long losing streak in 2013 and a 7 long losing streak in 2017 (which also knocked me below 2000 points (from which I have yet to recover))).

But it took me a total of 65 games to get my score back above 1000. I had a slow start.

And my longest winning streak was 12 games in 2015. That was the one that got me above 2000 points to begin with.

8. #8 / 9
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Some of us are slow starters, myself included :)

My H rating was in the 50s for the first couples of years I was on the site, and then things finally started to click, and was able to increase it to my current 71. 

I'm sure you'll back back above 2000 soon, and have a longer streak as well!

9. #9 / 9
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I can't really brag about a slow start myself but at least I lost my first two public games and got my 1st win when my opponent got booted in a winning position in a real-time game.

Edited Wed 13th Mar 05:44 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)