206 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   «««34567891011»»»   (14 in total)
  1. #121 / 279
    Premium Member Slander
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I must be missing something..

Right Smile

Do it faster than 19 min.

Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever.

2. #122 / 279
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Is there out of bounds thinking involved?  i.e. toss the flashlight over?  Fill in the bridge gaps?

3. #123 / 279
    Premium Member Slander
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Is there out of bounds thinking involved?  i.e. toss the flashlight over?  Fill in the bridge gaps?

Nope - not needed.

Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever.

4. #124 / 279
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Two more solutions... probably neither allowed.

How long is the bridge & how far does the flashlight throw a beam?   Can someone stand on the edge and still light the way for others to pass?

>They realize that at most two of them can be on the bridge at any given time, else it will collapse.

Torque on the bridge is proportional to the person's weight * their distance from the edge.   Downward force on the bridge is dependent on the ratio of their distance from each edge to the total bridge distance.   Their has got to be a sneaky answer in their somewhere.

5. #125 / 279
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Comon Ozy, think about it.  If the really slow guy walks at least half way with the second slowest guy, their cutting down the next slowest guys time addition by half. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet
    Edited Thu 13th Dec 00:00 [history]

6. #126 / 279
    Premium Member Slander
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Two more solutions... probably neither allowed.

How long is the bridge & how far does the flashlight throw a beam?   Can someone stand on the edge and still light the way for others to pass?

>They realize that at most two of them can be on the bridge at any given time, else it will collapse.

Torque on the bridge is proportional to the person's weight * their distance from the edge.   Downward force on the bridge is dependent on the ratio of their distance from each edge to the total bridge distance.   Their has got to be a sneaky answer in their somewhere.

Nope - it's a simple solution.  Quite simple once you figure it out.  So you just have to tell me which two go first, who comes back, etc, etc...  and you can get them all across in less than 19 min.

Just don't try every single combination (brute force) - that would be cheating.  It's a duel optimization problem - so you need to minimize on both the forward trips as well as the return trips.  At least, that's how it makes sense in my mind when I'm thinking about it.  I can also think of it as a heuristic, rule-based, problem.

Oh, and as far as the bridge collapsing, any two people can be on it.  The instant a third person puts a foot on it, it drops.  And the bridge is far too long for the light to reach the other side.

Edited Thu 13th Dec 01:03 [history]

7. #127 / 279
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Is it possible to use a rope ?

8. #128 / 279
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok, I am not gonna use a rope to get the flashlight back without crossing.

I think I've got it now, but it was hard I reckon. That was a good one Slander.

--> AB : 2 min

<-- A   : 1 min

--> CD : 10 min

<-- B   : 2 min

--> AB : 2 min

So it makes 17 minutes instead of 19.

Edited Thu 13th Dec 07:43 [history]

9. #129 / 279
    Premium Member Slander
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:

Ok, I am not gonna use a rope to get the flashlight back without crossing.

I think I've got it now, but it was hard I reckon. That was a good one Slander.

--> AB : 2 min

<-- A   : 1 min

--> CD : 10 min

<-- B   : 2 min

--> AB : 2 min

So it makes 17 minutes instead of 19.

Yep - that's it.  The trick is to get the 5 and 10 min to go together without having to make a return trip (optimize the forward trip), while still trying to use the fastest available person to return the flashlight (optimize on the return trip).  Once you realize that that implies that the 5 and 10 min need to go together on the 2nd crossing, everything else falls into place.

10. #130 / 279
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Decapitate me, and all becomes equal.  Truncate me, and I become second.  Cut me front and back, and I become 2 less than I started.

What am I?

11. #131 / 279
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Switching light bulbs:

You have 100 light bulbs, each controlled by it's own switch.
    They are numbered 1 to 100
    All switches start in the off position.

On Pass #1, go to every switch that is a multiple of 1 and flip the switch (hint: this turns all bulbs on).
    On Pass #2, go to every switch that is a multiple of 2 and flip the switch (that means, flipping switch for bulb 2, 4, 6....etc)
    On Pass #3, go to every switch that is a multiple of 3 and flip the switch (3, 6, 9....etc)

Repeat this incremental pattern 100 passes, each time flipping switches (from off to on, and on to off) for the switches that are the multiple of the pass number.

(Preferably without using the brute force method) When finished with all 100 passes, how many bulbs will be left on, and which bulbs will they be?

12. #132 / 279
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The primes will turn off.

All Square numbers will will be left on. E.g. 7 off 49 on.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking all of the composite numbers will have factor pairs that will cancel each other out, for instance take 24: 

1 on, then (2,12) (3,8) (4,6), and 24 should turn it off.

10 squares (1 is not a prime but is a square) = 10 left on.

That's my best guess first thing in the morning ..with an espresso shot to help.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Thu 27th Dec 07:06 [history]

13. #133 / 279
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That sounds right. For it to be on, it needs an odd number of unique factors which only happens when one of the factor pairs duplicates a number, thus the 10 square numbers between 1 and 100.

14. #134 / 279
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Bravo.  Well played.

15. #135 / 279
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

From a joke book I had as a kid - not sure if the riddle is well known or not, but I remember it fondly -

What can go up a chimney down, but can't go down a chimney up?

Looks like nobody answered this one.

It's an umbrella.

Goes up the chimney down (closed umbrella), but won't go down the chimney up (open umbrella).

16. #136 / 279
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

A deceptively simple riddle:  How far can a dog run into the woods?

17. #137 / 279
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1/2 way

18. #138 / 279
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Brothers or sisters have I none, but that mans father is my fathers son. Who is that man? 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

19. #139 / 279
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

my son

20. #140 / 279
    Standard Member zdisabled_d765cf3b
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Rich people need it, poor people have it, if you eat it you will die. What is it?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   «««34567891011»»»   (14 in total)