Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I also like Toaster's suggestion.

4. #44 / 76
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

We need to be able to see the uploaded neutral image in designer.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #45 / 76
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would like to be able to require a minimum number of attacks per turn (or at least that an attack must be made every turn). Specifically, this would be for an abstract that could otherwise end in stalemate in rare circumstances, but I imagine it could be used in other situations as well.

Is anyone else interested in this feature?

6. #46 / 76
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

I would like to be able to require a minimum number of attacks per turn (or at least that an attack must be made every turn). Specifically, this would be for an abstract that could otherwise end in stalemate in rare circumstances, but I imagine it could be used in other situations as well.

Is anyone else interested in this feature?

I think the feature is important (minimally an "Attacker must make 1 Attack if possible" button.) It's pretty critical for the chess game scenario Korrun is developing, and I can see that it will come in handy in a lot of future "last man standing" type designs.

Couple of suggestions...mostly obvious, but offered with the idea that it's probably much easier to code this way:

• If it is impossible to move, a player simply ends his turn with no penalty.
    • If Return to Attack is ON, attacker shouldn't be required to fortify units to where they can attack.
    • Players shouldn't be forced to "Place" their units in areas that would let them attack.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

7. #47 / 76
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

There are many 2-player tactical games that currently can't be emulated because players aren't forced to move.  i.e. I know I have wished for this in the past.

8. #48 / 76
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

• If it is impossible to move, a player simply ends his turn with no penalty.

Actually, it might not be too hard to include the option that the player is eliminated..although there might be a problem with determining who gets credit for the elimination in a multi-player game (as if that's a stat that ever had any value or significance anyways).

9. #49 / 76
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The only way that would occur is if the board also has abandon on and no revert to neutral, right? So minimum attacks could just not be allowed as an option in that situation.

10. #50 / 76
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Couldn't you also be in a situation with abandon off where you have 1 unit on every territory and no units to place.

11. #51 / 76
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Good call. I missed that possibility.

12. #52 / 76
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Request: Add the missing Fog Level between Light and Medium - Ownership seen everywhere, but unit counts fogged.

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

13. #53 / 76
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Isn't that what light is?

14. #54 / 76
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Isn't that what light is?

Nope, with Light you can see the unit count for bordering territories. This missing one you would see ownership but not unit count until you attack (this is 'Moderately Foggy' on TOS).

If I could figure out how to draw a line in Photoshop I would be a lot more well off with the Mac thing...

15. #55 / 76
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1 - That seems like it would be a good fog setting.  You can still see things pretty well, but it encourages some probing attacks at least.  I think I would use that a lot as the default fog setting on my maps.

I'd even rather have the precise control over fog you would get from having border level control of ownership fog and unit count fog.  Either through a combination of view border types, or (preferably), the ability to have multiple borders between two territories and a split in view border to one for ownership & one for unit count.

Edited Sun 13th Jan 22:22 [history]

16. #56 / 76
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

View borders for ownership and unit count being seperate from the attack/fortify borders would be REALLY nice.

17. #57 / 76
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Imagine if each border had directional modifiers like we currently do for dice sides. It might look like this set of options:

1. Can attack?
    2. Can fortify?
    3. Can see units?
    4. Can see ownership?
    5. Attack modifier (if yes for can attack)?
    6. Defend modifier (if yes for can attack in opposite direction)?
    7. Artillery (if yes for can attack)?

If that were the case, what would seem to be the most intuitive tool for the board designer would like this:

In the designer, there would simply be an add border command, that adds one-way borders. You have each of the 7 options (my list above) that can be applied to it when you add it, replacing the current "border type" drop-down we have now.

This would do away with a number of confusing elements with borders right now, especially the pain of adding borders and modifiers separately. This system would integrate ALL modifiers into the add border tool, instead of pointlessly having some (dice mods) separate, and some integrated (vision, fortify). It would allow for micro-management of visibility and far more combinations of borders. Imagine the possibilities!

Edited Sun 13th Jan 23:34 [history]

18. #58 / 76
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I like the idea Kj, but how would these impact game creator settings?

19. #59 / 76
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure what you are asking M57.  

Personally I don't care too much what the user interface looks like - but if we can get a full set of border possibilities & the ability to assign multiple modifications/properties to a single border, I feel like that would really open up a lot of control to map makers.

20. #60 / 76
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I asking about when a regular player "creates" a game and wants to change the general fog type.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)