1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #1 / 76
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Per Tom's suggestion, this thread is meant to help organize/debate the features that we would like to see added to the designer.

In order to keep the thread on track, let's agree that if it becomes clear that the particulars of a feature are unclear or not well thought out, etc., a new thread will be started to iron out its details, ..then it can can be brought back to this thread.

https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

2. #2 / 76
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

When in Edit of Continents, all buttons fit in the view without having to zoom in to the Designer.

w0000t to returning to being more active with WG! I may even have a board or two in the works with refreshed fire!

3. #3 / 76
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+1 emphatically. That is a big one and caused me much confusion until I realized the APPLY button was almost off the screen.

4. #4 / 76
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+2

5. #5 / 76
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would like to see the ability to create an independant abandon allowed territory. So you can have some abandon, and some not. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

6. #6 / 76
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Border-specific fog modifiers.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

7. #7 / 76
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

I'm not sure this makes sense.. I was thinking 'territory' specific fog modifiers.  With border specific, what's the difference between light fog and heavy fog?

8. #8 / 76
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    AttilaTheHun wrote:

I'm not sure this makes sense.. I was thinking 'territory' specific fog modifiers.  With border specific, what's the difference between light fog and heavy fog?

There wouldn't be a difference between those two.  I was thinking just the Fog vs. No Fog.

Territory-specific fog modifiers would be broader and would also meet the goal...sounds like a good add.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

9. #9 / 76
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

I would like to see the ability to create an independant abandon allowed territory. So you can have some abandon, and some not. 

Me too.  And also border independent i.e. I would like to be able to have artillery borders be allowed to reduce to 0, but not have abandon on.

Also, the ability to set-up capitals randomly <-- This is a big limiter for many boards I believe.

10. #10 / 76
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Movement Count OR Unit Range Limits

These are the same thing.  it's actually a territory characteristic that restricts unit movement.  Its workings are pretty well documented in other threads, notably this one:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1443p2/Enhancement_Requests

It addresses issues like neutral walls and blitzing; it let's designers emulate terrain, and it has a built in temporal component that creates a sense of unit autonomy.

There are a few things that need to be ironed out, like how it is presented on the board, but I believe the basic workings of it are pretty well mapped out.  The default settings change nothing for any existing board.

No doubt it's a fair amount of work for tom, but it (or something like it) is all but a necessity for designers who wish to recreate more realistic battlefield scenarios.  I believe its impact on the site could well rival that of the addition of factories.

Edited Wed 31st Oct 21:21 [history]

11. #11 / 76
    Standard Member 3EyedTitan
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think the border specific fog modifiers could really be a big breakthrough in map making.  Just think about a map with territories that have geographical characteristics.  This is a really good idea and i think that it could spawn some awesome maps.

+1

Also, to take this further maybe attack/defense bonuses that are bonus specific.  Example:  Territory A borders 4 territories, one on each side.  To the west territory A borders territory B. On this border there is a mountain range diving the two.  This gives territory A total fog from territory B and a +2 defense bonus, vise versa.  To the East territory A borders territory C and there is a river running down this border.  Territory A has Heavy fog from C and a +1 defense bonus, vice versa. The South border is wide open, completely visible, and has no bonuses.  The North border is fortified from territory D giving A a +1 defense bonus.

12. #12 / 76
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Also, to take this further maybe attack/defense bonuses that are bonus specific.  Example:  Territory A borders 4 territories, one on each side.  To the west territory A borders territory B. On this border there is a mountain range diving the two.  This gives territory A total fog from territory B and a +2 defense bonus, vise versa.  To the East territory A borders territory C and there is a river running down this border.  Territory A has Heavy fog from C and a +1 defense bonus, vice versa. The South border is wide open, completely visible, and has no bonuses.  The North border is fortified from territory D giving A a +1 defense bonus.

Use could do this now, minus the fog differentials, which has been suggested above.  

I like the idea though, and I will likely attempt to make this map.

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

13. #13 / 76
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

Use could do this now, minus the fog differentials, which has been suggested above.  

I like the idea though, and I will likely attempt to make this map.

I think this topic needs it's own thread.. I'll start it.

14. #14 / 76
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    ratsy wrote:

Also, the ability to set-up capitals randomly <-- This is a big limiter for many boards I believe.

I've said this many times before, but these two are the most important for me.  I'd also like to see a complete set of border types.  Either allow two territories to have multiple borders  (or provided all permutation of border types i.e. a view/attack border and a fortify/artillery border, etc.) Plus split view borders up into two types - view ownership and view unit count.

Those I believe are all fairly complicated, so here is some simple wishlist stuff that might be a more quick update:

cards given for elimination bonus.

split up the fog levels a bit more - i.e. allow card fog & reserve fog to be set separately from board fog.

15. #15 / 76
    Standard Member 3EyedTitan
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Oops I meant *border specific not bonus specific, but i think you guys got the idea.

16. #16 / 76
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Here's a simple one:  I'd like to be able to save my player color palettes so I can easily import my favorite basic colors from board to board.

I'm thinking this could either be that we'd be able to save a list of multiple color profiles, or as basic as making our own single set of designer-specific default player colors.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

17. #17 / 76
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+1 to Toaster's suggestion. I would also like to advocate for a revision of the default color palette, or at least another option.

18. #18 / 76
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Toaster wrote:

Here's a simple one:  I'd like to be able to save my player color palettes so I can easily import my favorite basic colors from board to board.

I'm thinking this could either be that we'd be able to save a list of multiple color profiles, or as basic as making our own single set of designer-specific default player colors.

I think you could do this by exporting & importing the XML.   not as simple as a built-in solution, but only ~5 minutes of work to do.

19. #19 / 76
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:
    Toaster wrote:

I think you could do this by exporting & importing the XML.   not as simple as a built-in solution, but only ~5 minutes of work to do.

right, cut and paste into a saved text file and you can paste over the color section in new xml. (what i started to do, then forgot about...)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

20. #20 / 76
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Good suggestion from Thingol:

For games that use an attack %, I think it would be kinda cool to allow units which have been in a location for a period of time to defend with a bonus. It could operate similarly (and inversely) to the fatigue factor.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)