+1 for Beastlymaster's idea just to be a pain

2. #22 / 87
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

I also like Weathertop's schedule.

I tried to capture what I feel like the 'Rules' are for our map making competition.  I think it would be useful to have these all in one place, right now they are kind of all over the forum.  This is what I remember coming out of all of our various discussions, although I think there is more I'm missing.  I'll use italics for whereever I don't think there is a consensus or is my suggestion.

Theme

• Theme is chosen by general consensus, or if no general consensus - IRV voting
    • Theme is in the eye of the beholder.  Any connection is enough to pass a map for inclusion in the competition.  Judges are encouraged to incorporate adherence to theme into their overall score.

Deadlines

• Should deadlines be always the last day of the month?  Time zone?
    • Board submission deadline is to submit board to the council, or to pass the council?  Now that we have 4 months scheduled for development, maybe this should be a hard deadline to pass the council.
    • Boards go public once submission is complete - so boards completed earlier have a slight advantage in that they are available for play longer.
    • Overall timeline is constant between competitions (weathertops suggestion).  Make a google doc or forum thread that has timeline info, theme info, etc. for upcoming competitions.

Voting

• Players vote for top 3?  3, 2, & 1 points still?  I remember a suggestion to make it 5,3,1.  Because the desire was for 1st place to mean more.  I think a good system is to let players have 10 points to distribute as they fit with up to some maximum (5?) points to any one board?  That way individual judges can decide just how much better their 1st place board is.  Maybe wait until this voting completes to see how this goes?
    • Map makers can vote and can vote for their own boards if so desired.

Promotion

• 2 general threads made when voting starts.  One to introduce the competition to the general public, allow discussion, etc.  One just for voting/reviews.
    • Boards should put a link to at least the voting thread into their board description.
    • Players are encouraged to post a link to the threads as an in game message if they suspect not all players in the game already know about the competition.

Prizes

• $100 prize.  Stick with $60/$30/$10 breakdown?

I think the deadline needs to be 11:59:59 of the last day of the calendar month, so that my timeline works no matter which month we decide to start with.

also i assume that the deadline at the end of the 4-month 'develop' time is that where the boards are to be submitted for review. the three months of play/vote would be review board and live.playing.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #23 / 87
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Annihilate wrote:

+1 for Beastlymaster's idea just to be a pain

are BM and Annihilate the same person?! ;^P

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #24 / 87
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Jigler wrote:

it might be nice to eventually add a "Map Competition" tag to the board list (or something like that).

lol I said that last round...

5. #25 / 87
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Should voting be anonymous so that it doesn't influence the outcome?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

6. #26 / 87
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I can't think of a good way to do it anonymously, without also making it more difficult for people to vote, which I think is more important.

Edited Tue 26th Jul 22:07 [history]

7. #27 / 87
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

well we could set up a survey monkey with it. i think that limits you to one vote per something. and only the one who sets it up can see anything.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #28 / 87
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't know much about that sort of web security, but  if it uses IP address, could two relatives at the same residence vote?  If it uses cookies, can someone just delete them?  Could someone vote from home & work & the library? 

Maybe those issues are solvable, but I was thinking we needed to actually tie it to a wargear account.  So the only anonymous way I could see to do it, is have everyone PM Tom/Yertle/Someone with their vote, but it's still not really anonymous.  Alternatively Tom could add some kind of polling/voting to the site tied to wargear login, but how long would that take, and does he even want to do it. 

9. #29 / 87
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The googledoc I create can hide the name of the voter (but keep track of it) and filter out multiple votes from the same person.  I really think we need to use the honor system here and trust that each player will only vote once and only vote as themselves.  With that said, I like voting in the forums, just because the player has to be logged in, it would seem too easy to vote as someone else in the other avenues.  The only problem with this is the Mexican stand-off as to not voting first.

The best solution would be to have a voting system on the site, where the votes are anonymous, each player is restricted to one vote, and the outcome is not given until the end of the voting period, but this would probably take awhile to implement.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

10. #30 / 87
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I agree it should ideally be built into the site - we need a temporary solution till then.

I added a tag for 'Competition'.

11. #31 / 87
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i don't have a problem openly voting on the forums. and if someone needs someone to be the first in line; i don't have a problem with that either. just means i can get in line sooner for seconds - wait - this IS the line for food, right?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

12. #32 / 87
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't need anonymity for my vote, but I want to play each map at least twice before voting, so I probably won't vote for another month.

I'd like to think that anonymity is not necessary for this, but maybe some people would feel more comfortable being anonymous.

13. #33 / 87
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I suggest a Competition Tab which allows submission for competition, allows you to start games from there (so there's proof that you've played each game at least once), Allows you to vote there (which could be built into the system and only allows 1 vote per player who has played each game once) etc...   So everything is all encompassing under 1 tab.  There can be open forum discussion, but voting could be anonymous.

14. #34 / 87
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

I suggest a Competition Tab which allows submission for competition, allows you to start games from there (so there's proof that you've played each game at least once), Allows you to vote there (which could be built into the system and only allows 1 vote per player who has played each game once) etc...   So everything is all encompassing under 1 tab.  There can be open forum discussion, but voting could be anonymous.

I really like this idea, since i suggested it already!  {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

15. #35 / 87
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Viper wrote:
    Edward Nygma wrote:

I really like this idea, since i suggested it already!  {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Like this idea as well but would change the tab label to something like "Special Events".  "Competition" could be easily confused for almost anything related to the site.

The special events tab could have one section for the cartographer's challenge and other sections for future dreamers of dreams...

~ATH

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

16. #36 / 87
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

Games you start from outside the Competition Tab should count too.  Other than that I think having one organized place for this is probably a good long term goal.  I don't think there is any rush, because I think if we run a couple of competitions by hand first we will have a better idea of the requirements for that area.

17. #37 / 87
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

I think the deadline needs to be 11:59:59 of the last day of the calendar month, so that my timeline works no matter which month we decide to start with.

also i assume that the deadline at the end of the 4-month 'develop' time is that where the boards are to be submitted for review. the three months of play/vote would be review board and live.playing.

Sounds good to me.  Coordinated Universal Time (i.e. UTC or GMT) for the midnight deadline?

18. #38 / 87
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I added a tag for 'Competition'.

I went and tagged the 6 Pangaea boards with the Competition tag.

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

19. #39 / 87
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ok to try and get this moving, I put a schedule together online:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjtIsJkyopekdEpUeW84NlRjYzhlQkptNjdTSjFnb3c&hl=en_US

I also put my version of 'The Rules' online:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XYstgt4nHKN9yJDNP2dw25dSz1kVbLlEsxqlIVuzYHM/edit?hl=en_US

We can discuss the rules, etc. as we go forward, but how does the schedule look so far?  I put end of August for the deadline to decide on the next theme, because I assume that no one has probably done much map making yet.

20. #40 / 87
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

schedule looks good. i can't edit the doc so i'll just copy it into something else and paste the corrections somewhere for you to incorporate. or we can exchange emails or something.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345   (5 in total)