176 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The following list is people who are open to private game invites with new players. 

If you wish to be added to the list, please leave a note in this thread.

Amidon37

Andernut

AttilaTheHun

Beastlymaster

BorisTheFrugal

Edward Nygma

General FooBar

Jigler

Johasi Vidad

Raptor

ratsy

Thingol

Toto

weathertop

Yertle

Edited Tue 29th Dec 17:26 [history]

2. #2 / 20
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

This hasn't been very successful - at least I haven't been invited to any games -

3. #3 / 20
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Maybe a more formal system would work better?  When a player first signs up for wargear, they could get a popup saying something like "Wargear has many advanced features that can be confusing or intimidating for new players.  Would you like a veteran wargear player to help provide a gentle introduction to the site?"

If they say yes, they get assigned a 'mentor' who is responsible for inviting them to a half dozen games in increasing complexity, answering questions and pointing out some of the site features (the forums, faq, map making competition, etc.).

4. #4 / 20
    Standard Member Candy Cane
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Maybe a more formal system would work better?  When a player first signs up for wargear, they could get a popup saying something like "Wargear has many advanced features that can be confusing or intimidating for new players.  Would you like a veteran wargear player to help provide a gentle introduction to the site?"

If they say yes, they get assigned a 'mentor' who is responsible for inviting them to a half dozen games in increasing complexity, answering questions and pointing out some of the site features (the forums, faq, map making competition, etc.).

i likes the idea.

5. #5 / 20
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1. Send em a notification with "You signed up" e-mail. 

6. #6 / 20
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Candy Cane wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

i likes the idea.

I like this idea with one addition: make the "mentor" process automatic and customizable in the settings.  

For example, I'm new player "JimBob".  When I join, I see the welcome message and choose "Yes" to the mentor question.  The system automatically generates a few games and invites me along with several of the players on the "Invite Me!" list (over-invite to make sure it gets filled).  

As a player on the "Invite Me!" list, I'd like the ability to limit how many games I'm auto-invited to.  Also, these games should probably be private.

~ATH

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

7. #7 / 20
    Standard Member 3EyedTitan
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I clicked on a game I created, but I dont see where I send out invites.  Also on a side note, I would be glad to have any of you as a mentor ;)

8. #8 / 20
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hi 3EyedTitan.  There are two types of games: public & private.  Public games you cannot invite people to.  You just pick the # of people and start them up and then others will join them.  Private games you have to invite people to or they will never fill.

I'll invite you to a game and we can try out the mentoring process.  What is your experience with risk & online risk so far?  That will give me some ideas for how complicated to make your first game.

9. #9 / 20
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

3EyedTitan wrote:

I clicked on a game I created, but I dont see where I send out invites.  Also on a side note, I would be glad to have any of you as a mentor ;)

3eyed - When you go to the "My Games" Tab, make sure you have the filter set to "All."  You will see all the games you played, all the games you are playing, and all the games you've created or joined but haven't started.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

10. #10 / 20
    Standard Member 3EyedTitan
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Thanks M57!

Ok sweet Ozyman!! My experience with Risk, other than the few games ive completed here, is just playing the board game with whoever was willing.  I kept winning and people stopped being open to playing me so I came here and my jaw dropped when I saw how awesome the site was and that my craving was instantly filled.  Where do my invites show up?  Sorry still trying to understand the interface.

11. #11 / 20
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

3EyedTitan wrote:

Thanks M57!

Ok sweet Ozyman!! My experience with Risk, other than the few games ive completed here, is just playing the board game with whoever was willing.  I kept winning and people stopped being open to playing me so I came here and my jaw dropped when I saw how awesome the site was and that my craving was instantly filled.  Where do my invites show up?  Sorry still trying to understand the interface.

Ok, sounds good.  I'll invite you to a handful of games with some friends of mine and we can move this discussion to the game messages.  Your invites will show up under the 'my games' tab.

12. #12 / 20
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:
    Candy Cane wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:

i likes the idea.

I like this idea with one addition: make the "mentor" process automatic and customizable in the settings.  

For example, I'm new player "JimBob".  When I join, I see the welcome message and choose "Yes" to the mentor question.  The system automatically generates a few games and invites me along with several of the players on the "Invite Me!" list (over-invite to make sure it gets filled).  

As a player on the "Invite Me!" list, I'd like the ability to limit how many games I'm auto-invited to.  Also, these games should probably be private.

~ATH

+1 I'd join the list if this was in place

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

13. #13 / 20
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Feel free to add me to this list :)

14. #14 / 20
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

This could stand to be updated.  I'm down to be on it.

Edited Thu 19th Nov 20:00 [history]

15. #15 / 20
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Better yet... could we get a list added to the picker for players who are either new or have fewer than 5 people in their picker?  Might help new players get games filled faster.

16. #16 / 20
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I wouldn't mind being on here

Board Rating Party - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4289/Board_Rating_Party

Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

17. #17 / 20
    Standard Member zdisabled_b0c46970
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

That only works for players with premium memberships. what happens if they get assigned to a standard member? There are good veterans here that don't have premium.

18. #18 / 20
    Standard Member zdisabled_b0c46970
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Also, please add me to the list, I'm open to joining any game I can.

19. #19 / 20
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I got an IRL friend who I'm introducing to WG, and we've played a few 1v1's, but I figure it's time to expand the board options by upping the number of players in our games. Came here for the list, but found that the list only has 3 players (me, JV, and WT) who are actively playing games on it.

Might be worth refreshing the list, but Yert is one of the exited players, so I don't know if there is someone who can edit his post to refresh the list???

I'm sure we can generate a new list and then pass it to Tom to edit for us though.

20. #20 / 20
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'm willing to play private games with beginners. Can't edit, though.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)