184 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 48
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I thought it might be a good idea to start a new thread now that the theme has been decided upon.  Also, since Tom put up such an amazing prize, I didn't want that buried in that other thread, but thought it deserved it's own title.

So if you haven't been following things, we are having our first (hopefully of many) map making competition.  The theme we voted on is 'Pangaea'.  You have until June 10th to complete your design and get submitted and approved by the map making council.   Tom has come forward with prize money for the winner(s).

More details can be found here:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1502plast/First_Vote_for_Map_Making_CollectiveCompetition#last

Edited Tue 7th Jun 16:38 [history]

2. #2 / 48
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Since this is a friendly competition (or was until Tom put up some serious cash), I figured we could have a place to toss around ideas.

To get people started, here is a nice big map of pangaea:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Pangaea_continents.svg/2000px-Pangaea_continents.svg.png

Smaller sizes also available at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pangaea_continents.svg

And just for fun, here are two already made maps that I found online:

http://membres.multimania.fr/fantastoche/Pangaea%20Ultima6.jpg

http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/ConquestMaps/Pangaea.gif

I am pretty sure I am going to do a version of my Land & Sea map, but I had a couple other ideas I discarded as too ambitious for me (limited time), so I thought I'd share them and maybe someone else who was having trouble getting started could run with one of these:

A 'time travel' map, that has modern continents as well as pangaea, with some sort of time machine to connect between them.  You could even include Pangaea Ultima (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea_Ultima), which is a super continent from our distant future, or other past super continents like Pannotia, or Rodinia.

Border modifiers based upon the type of boundary the continental plates form (convergent, divergent, transform).  This would would obviously take some research, but would be a science lesson as well as a wargear map.

3. #3 / 48
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Sticky-ed and added deadline to title!

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

4. #4 / 48
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Since this is a friendly competition (or was until Tom put up some serious cash),

There probably should be some ground Rules IMO with the serious cash element.

My proposals:

1. Pangaea theme, completely open to interpretation, just must be justifiable by the designer if too far out of wack (things like Risky Kong, Mall of the Dead, etc. = not Pangaea themed).
    2. No other restrictions, open to any gameplay, size (board or number of players), settings, or even layout, anything goes as long as Pangaea theme is met.
    3. Limit 1 entrance per person.  Other non-entry scenarios may be available to be submitted to be attached to the final board, but only 1 entry.
    4. Deadline is June 10th (a Friday) at 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern time.  Map must be Dev tested and ready, no blaming Dev testers for not being ready.
    5. Anyone can enter up until the deadline, just all aspects must be met.

Voting?  How's that going to work?

I'll update the first post to have "official rules" if we can hash them out.

Hopefully there will be quite a few in the competition, I've heard from a few people today from the walls I posted on.  Could be a good fun battle!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

5. #5 / 48
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Pangaea theme, completely open to interpretation, just must be justifiable by the designer if too far out of wack (things like Risky Kong, Mall of the Dead, etc. = not Pangaea themed).

So I can't make a version of Seven over top of the pangaea backdrop.  Back to the drawing board.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

6. #6 / 48
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

A 'time travel' map, that has modern continents as well as pangaea, with some sort of time machine to connect between them. 

Border modifiers based upon the type of boundary the continental plates form (convergent, divergent, transform).  This would would obviously take some research, but would be a science lesson as well as a wargear map.

I was actually thinking along those lines until i found a walkthru of how to create your own 'artistic' regional map...altho it's in GIMP, but i'm going to try to follow along with paint.net. if that fails i'll be falling back on my morphing idea that you so graciously posted to all! {#emotions_dlg.cylon}

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

7. #7 / 48
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Be sure and have Custom Cards (if applicable...probably so?) and Board Description completed too?

8. #8 / 48
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

We said before that for someone to vote, they must have played all the scenarios.  So are we going to give a month or something after the deadline for everyone to get a chance to play everything, before we hold the vote?

9. #9 / 48
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

We said before that for someone to vote, they must have played all the scenarios.  So are we going to give a month or something after the deadline for everyone to get a chance to play everything, before we hold the vote?

That seems appropriate to me. So voting between June 10 and July 10?

10. #10 / 48
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

sounds good to me.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #11 / 48
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: if that fails i'll be falling back on my morphing idea that you so graciously posted to all! {#emotions_dlg.cylon}

Oops!   Well, I feel like you called this idea, so if two people create something similar & they are both equally good, my vote will go to you.  hows that?

12. #12 / 48
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Just for the sake of asking, Pangea is that sandwich restaurant right?

Don't Piss Off Risky....
    It's bad for your bonus

13. #13 / 48
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

Just for the sake of asking, Pangea is that sandwich restaurant right?

no it's the african/chinese buffet place right next door. you should try it, they've got a great banana dessert!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

14. #14 / 48
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

how's everyone coming along on their Pangaea maps?  Mine is about halfway done.

15. #15 / 48
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Sign me up as a beta tester!

16. #16 / 48
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I was thinking about posting a progress report.  I'm done with my first draft & I'm playing a test game with some family members.  This was definitely my simplest & quickest map yet.  Part of that is because I'm getting better at this, but mostly because I'm keeping it simple.  I don't think I'll have much of chance of winning, but that is ok with me.

I figure with a deadline of June 10th, you really want a solid month to be sure the council has time to finish a map on your board, that means getting pretty much done by May 10th.  So really, just about 2 more weeks to finish it up.

17. #17 / 48
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I am in LOVE with my gameplay idea!  I like the look of it and am just trying to fancy it up.  It's a lot of little detailing that I have to do and I have to watch out for colors (which I hate doing).  I'm not sure if my map is a Winner but I think it'll be fun to play.

If anybody wants in on the competition but doesn't have an idea for an interesting map idea, I have a good one, I just fell in love with this concept and am running with it.  Message me or invite me to a game and I'll give you my idea and you can run with it.  If nobody does it I may do it after the competition is over because it's pretty cool but really, it doesn't meld with my style as much as what I am making does.

Don't Piss Off Risky....
    It's bad for your bonus

18. #18 / 48
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Haven't started it yet, but the design is in my head.  The Tetris board I am developing took precedence and took longer than I expected, plus real life keeps getting in the way.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

19. #19 / 48
    Standard Member Jigler
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I actually have a pretty good idea of how i want it to work. gotten some minor work done so far, but i have finals next week, then i'll crank it out. :)

He is risen indeed!

20. #20 / 48
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RL has gobbled up my life for the past few weeks, but I've got my idea and even graphical concept figured out.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)