0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 27
    Standard Member Toro
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

His "copyright notice" is in regards to Hasbro/LotR, not himself.

Ok, I see what you are saying, and did not originally think that was targetting Hasbro/LoTR franchise, but you are right.  So i'll take back that part of it.

As a question though, by putting:  *This board is under Copyright Protection by its respective owners. All credit for theme, setting, and character go to these individuals. This board is strictly released only for fair use on Warfish.net. Please support the official owners.",

we then can sell any direct replica map?  That's what I have a problem with.  Fishcraft of course is based on a themed-map, but its completely hand drawn, everything is renamed, etc.

I still think it's going overboard to replicate a Lord of the Risk Board game, on an online risk website.  And putting a price tag on it.  Basing a design off of a map middle earth is different, because this is a map of the actual Risk game.

I did notice it was free to play for now, but usually designers have it free and charge at first to spread the game, and then pull away the ability for free play (or like you said, if peoples memberships run out, they have to buy it).

Anyway, I still think it's BS mostly because there is an option to purchase it, and because to me it reads as if he is playing it off like he designed it from scratch, or is a pioneer for this design.

2. #22 / 27
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i think he put all his boards as free so that he can step away entirely.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

3. #23 / 27
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tickleboy wrote:

we then can sell any direct replica map? 

Until a cease and desist comes, then Steven/tom would/should pull it rather than fight them :P

Tickleboy wrote:

I still think it's going overboard to replicate a Lord of the Risk Board game, on an online risk website.  And putting a price tag on it.  Basing a design off of a map middle earth is different, because this is a map of the actual Risk game.

The Pre-Beta map is based off of the basic Risk map.  I'm not entirely sure just taking all the gameplay settings and rule but recreating the image will get you off the hook either.

Tickleboy wrote:

I did notice it was free to play for now, but usually designers have it free and charge at first to spread the game, and then pull away the ability for free play (or like you said, if peoples memberships run out, they have to buy it).

I'm pretty sure his boards have always been free to play with the option to buy (to support graphic design and ability to create tournaments). 

If you don't have a Plus membership on WF then you only get to create games on the Pre-Beta, or else buy the board, there isn't an option to make a board free for non-Plus members.  So actually by allowing people to buy the board he is giving more options for players (spend $2 for a lifetime board, or $10 for Plus)... but here on WarGear it's free for everyone!!!

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

4. #24 / 27
    Standard Member Toro
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

yea im not sure who steve/tom etc is- i imagine the warfish creators, but anyway.  i'll check out this here wargear and maybe work on some maps.  anyway, lets rock

5. #25 / 27
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tickleboy wrote:

yea im not sure who steve/tom etc is- i imagine the warfish creators, but anyway.  i'll check out this here wargear and maybe work on some maps.  anyway, lets rock

Steven = WF creator (inactive)

tom (aka Kobrai Kai from WF) = WG creator (active)

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

Edited Thu 14th Apr 16:05 [history]

6. #26 / 27
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ticklboy, I notice Doom did review your board well.

I understand some of your points, but I think Doom is deserving of a bit better than the 'total BS' statement...and I agree with Yertle that it's pretty clear he's referring to Hasbro/lotr in his copyright statement.  That's the way I interpreted it initially when we first tested it several months ago.  A tone-down of rhetoric is, I think, in order.

7. #27 / 27
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tickleboy wrote:

I hope you do stick around.  If you are a map maker you may want to check out the map makers forum.  Look for the thread about the current map making contest with a $100 prize!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)