212 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #1 / 69
    Standard Member TKDave
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I have a game where the other player hasn't made a move in 3 days.  Another with 2 days.  When do these people get booted?

2. #2 / 69
    Standard Member SmokinMan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

We are waiting for a guy for even 6 days until now... and i have no idea how i can leave that game. Surrendering doesnt work, vote boot didnt work - i dont know what the other players are doing.

3. #3 / 69
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The game Host should be able to Vote to Boot at 3 times the Boot Interval.

4. #4 / 69
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I have a game at 5 times the boot interval of 2 days and the host still hasn't booted the player, there's been exactly 0 turns taken. Host is some noob named Kobra Kai. I think that's some sort of coffee drink?

5. #5 / 69
    Standard Member Killer
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: The game Host should be able to Vote to Boot at 3 times the Boot Interval.

How does the host boot? I see no button for it, I have a game where the guy hasnt taken his first turn yet and is at 7 days, boot is set at 2 days. All I have is a vote to boot button, doesnt help much when no one else is checking the board. I suppose this is how Warfish was at the beggining though.

Nevermind.....I am not the host in this game, I got my games confused, still the host should have booted now.

LOL.....it is way too early in the morning.....it is the host that has not taken his turn in 7 days, dont suppose I can count on him to boot himself.

Edited Tue 17th Nov 09:58 [history]

6. #6 / 69
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Host boot is available after 3x the boot time, however if you are a premium player you get double the boot time so that 6x the boot time - so for the default boot time of 2 days that's 12 days.

If the host has gone walkabouts then the only way to boot him is for all the remaining players in the game to Vote Boot.

Maybe there should be a direct boot available to all players, possibly 5x the boot time? Happy to change the way booting works, I don't think the balance is quite right yet.

7. #7 / 69
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Maybe there should be a direct boot available to all players, possibly 5x the boot time? Happy to change the way booting works, I don't think the balance is quite right yet.

Maybe it is 5x or 14 days, whichever is less.

Waiting 25 days because the Host set the boot interval to 5 days and then left seems a bit extreme, the 14 days would then come into play which is nearly 3x the boot interval but still somewhat reasonable.

Personally I think the Premium bonus should be simply based off the Boot Interval instead of everything (meaning the Host boot is always at 3x, since 3 days > 2 days for a 1 day boot interval, never jump to 6x).  Then also all players can Vote to Boot at 2x the boot interval for premium members.

So...

Boot Interval = 1 Day:  Non-Premium can be booted by Vote to Boot at 1 Day, can be Host Booted at 3 Day, can be Direct Non-Host Booted at 5 Day.  Premium can be booted by Vote to Boot at 2 Day, can be Host Booted at 3 Day, can be Direct Non-Host Booted at 5 Day.

Boot Interval = 2 Days:  Non-Premium can be booted by Vote to Boot at 2 Day, can be Host Booted at 6 Day, can be Direct Non-Host Booted at 10 Day.  Premium can be booted by Vote to Boot at 4 Day, can be Host Booted at 4 Day, can be Direct Non-Host Booted at 10 Day.

Boot Interval = 5 Days:  Non-Premium can be booted by Vote to Boot at 5 Day, can be Host Booted at 14 Day, can be Direct Non-Host Booted at 14 Day.  Premium can be booted by Vote to Boot at 10 Day,can be Host Booted at 14 Day, can be Direct Non-Host Booted at 14 Day.

Eh, I don't like it so much after I typed it out...I dunno :P

Edited Wed 18th Nov 18:05 [history]

8. #8 / 69
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

What about automatically setting up auto-boot to be 14 days or 4x the boot period or something like that? That way people don't have to check in on a game they forgot about to move it along.

9. #9 / 69
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

That could be a good option... so the auto-boot only works as a way of cleaning up games that are stalled. Maybe then it could be the default option for all games.

10. #10 / 69
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yes please.

14 days? There is no conceivable reason that you can't log in and take your turns at least once a WEEK, 7 days should be the hard limit for autoboot, regardless of the actual set boot time.

Vacation time is there is you're going to be away for a week.

I think you all are making this boot thing way more complicated than it needs to be. Here's my suitably awesome take on it:

1. Boot time is the boot time. Once it's up, the host can boot you unilaterally, or everyone can vote to boot you. If you don't want to get booted after 1 day, don't join or create 1 day boot games, make them 2 or 3.

2. Premium members should be no different than regular members for extending boot times, but their votes should count for 2 people when it comes to booting others.

3. Autoboot at 7 days as default.

4. If autoskip is set, there is no boots of any kind for that game.

For WF-ers the whole 3x boot for host 5x for players is a familiar feature but one that took time to learn. Lots of people don't want to learn all the ins and outs of your meta-game, they just want to play.

(folds up and puts away soapbox)

hehe reminds me of the saying.. there's 3 boxes you use when you want to change things:

soap
    ballot
    ammo

...in that order.

So if this didn't convince you I say we vote on it. If the vote doesn't go my way I'm gonna take RiskyBack hostage.

11. #11 / 69
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I like the double the boot time for Premium Members, just because it gives even more incentive for Premium Membership.

Dunno if Premium members should get 2 votes, that seems kind of weird to me.

Autoboot at 7 days I would be okay with for Public games, but Private games should be able to be handled by the Host (although there should be a time for when other players in a Private game have the ability to Boot).

12. #12 / 69
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I take two week vacations, and perhaps that's not acceptable for ranked games, but when you're with friendly people they will wait if you've asked them to. In private games I don't see a reason for auto-boot at 2 weeks, especially when again, some of us take longer vacations.

13. #13 / 69
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I really don't see a reason for auto-boot at two weeks if anybody could direct-boot after that time anyways.

14. #14 / 69
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

- Host/vote boot at expiration of in-game boot time.
    - Single person direct boot (in a multiplayer game) at # x boot time; where # is whatever multiplier we decide (2x? as auto-boot will take care of really long delays - keep reading)

i don't care either way if there is extended boot time for paid members (to me boot time is boot time). i don't think it's all that advantageous for a paid member, there's plenty of paid members on WF that abandon games for no apparent reason and waiting even longer to boot them would be a pain in the arse.

at first the idea of 2 votes for premium member is kewl, but the more i think about it, the more i don't like the idea. if you can't get enough votes (should never need more than n-1; where n is the current active number of players. if you want me to explain this more i can) then direct boot and auto-boot is your option.

Auto-boot cleans up all stalled games after some set time. **BUT** that time needs to restart after vacation time is over. for example i go deer hunting here in a couple weeks. i'm gone for a week. i come back on the 8th day and start playing my games. as soon as i make my first turn all the other games disappear as i've been auto-booted due to time expiring, even tho i've only been there for an hour. make sense?

agreed auto-skip trumps auto-boot always.

15. #15 / 69
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I don't care about any of this. Join games, take turns.

EXCEPT to say two things.
    1) "Lots of people don't want to learn all the ins and outs of your meta-game, they just want to play." Totally true, but leaves me puzzled at "Premium members should be no different than regular members for extending boot times, but their votes should count for 2 people when it comes to booting others."

2) 7 days is too short. I'd say the hard limit should be in the 15-20 day range. If I get run over by a bus, the first thing I think of when I wake up in the hospital is not gonna be "oh shit! gotta take my WarGear turns!" But you better believe that if I get out of that hospital 8 days later and I've been booted out of all my games, I'm gonna be pissed.

16. #16 / 69
    Standard Member Killer
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: I don't care about any of this. Join games, take turns.

EXCEPT to say two things.
    1) "Lots of people don't want to learn all the ins and outs of your meta-game, they just want to play." Totally true, but leaves me puzzled at "Premium members should be no different than regular members for extending boot times, but their votes should count for 2 people when it comes to booting others."

2) 7 days is too short. I'd say the hard limit should be in the 15-20 day range. If I get run over by a bus, the first thing I think of when I wake up in the hospital is not gonna be "oh shit! gotta take my WarGear turns!" But you better believe that if I get out of that hospital 8 days later and I've been booted out of all my games, I'm gonna be pissed.

Are you kidding, first thing I am doing is going to review why I got hit by a bus in the first place, then I am going to give my wife my username and password and tell her to get it done. Who nows maybe my wins will actually go up{#emotions_dlg.thumb}

17. #17 / 69
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

it damn well outta be on the list of things to do on day #2 or #3. i mean really what else is there to do in a hospital when you're laying helpless on your back....wait, thats not much different than normal is it? ;)

18. #18 / 69
    (. )( .) Boobies Electric Monk
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I agree with those who say boot time is boot time, regardless of membership.

I also favor auto-skip (if it actually works) means no booting at all (except for the hard limit, we don't want games going forever because everyone is not active and just being skipped).

I'm with asm on the hard-limit being more than 1 week. Since there seems to be 2 camps, one saying 1 week, the other saying 2, I would just split the difference and go with 10 days.

I also support having a direct boot feature like WF, so that a single player can boot if others are lazy or inactive and don't place a vote for boot. Obviously single-player direct boot would be some time increment greater than the regular boot time.

I think it's getting a bit too complicated as well, and would be happy with Iroll11's take on it as well, though I do think 1 week is a bit short for auto-boot unless vacation status means you cannot be booted, and like weathertop says, it restarts the boot timer when you vacation status is over and you have logged into the site.

19. #19 / 69
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The more I think about it, the more I like Electric Monk's hard auto-skip. Instead of a boot timer, just allow a skip timer and stick to that value. Eventually, the person who doesn't take their turn for days will just be treated like a neutral and dealt with accordingly and the problem will solve itself. Of course, if the person is in vacation mode, it should override the skip timer.

Heck, I'd even go so far as to remove booting from the host's prerogative - if somebody needs to be booted for bad behavior, it can be done via majority vote, with boots in two player games being technically impossible (i.e. require >51% of the vote). In a two-player game, getting your turn skipped would pretty much mean the end of you anyway.

20. #20 / 69
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

As a person who is basically online all day and all night because I have no life, I think that boot time is boot time and never understood why there was the other rules. Vote to boot is tuff because if it's not someone's turn, they don't usually check the game. I know I don't.

I love auto-skip and see no reason to not have it set for 3 days for all games unless there is a vacation timer on. Auto skip isn't the worst thing in the world for the player.

I would also like to offer up, for your consideration, self-boot. If you don't want to play a map or don't like someone in the game you can boot yourself from the game. That way, if you are gonna be gone you have the polite option to remove yourself from the game and let the others play. Trust me, there is no other feature on the net that I would like more in my Real Life than a self-boot feature. In a boring meeting, self-boot. Date not going where you want it to, Self-boot. Stuck in line at the deli counter trying to get just 1lb of thinly sliced roast beef and they are on 22 and you are 56, Self-boot!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)