181 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

First off suggestion, can the Win window show the calculations just like the Win window for Public games does, I'd prefer to see this even for Private games as I don't think the calculations show there either.

Now the question...

Tournament game is to have 5 players in it, but 2 are booted at join (so never a part of the game) at the end of the game how are Rankings calculated?  Is it based upon a 5 player game or a 3 player game or is one ranking based on a 5 and the other a 3?

Thanks!

2. #2 / 28
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sure will add those stats in.

To answer your question in two parts - your overall tournament ranking score will be based off the number of players actually in the game.

Your score in this tournament will be based off the number of players supposed to start the game (i.e. you won't be at a disadvantage as a result of not having a full quota of players in the game).

3. #3 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That's what I thought occurred, seems reasonable but a bit odd at the same time :p.

Thanks!

Edited Wed 13th Oct 09:49 [history]

4. #4 / 28
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

It probably would be unnoticed and seem more reasonable if it didn't happen as often as it has. I think this is just one of the New Site things that will only be overcome by time and participation. I have yet to be involved in a tournament that went all the way without a boot or surrender.

Cobra Commander + Larry - Mo * Curly = RiskyBack

5. #5 / 28
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: Your score in this tournament will be based off the number of players supposed to start the game (i.e. you won't be at a disadvantage as a result of not having a full quota of players in the game).

I agree with Yertle that this calculation is a bit odd. I would add it is very odd.

indeed, when you play in a 2-player game instead of a 5-player game, it is already such an advantage to score 1 easy victory that it is unjust to have the same number of points than the others.

Also, in the second round, I find odd that some of the winners will play only winners, and some not (swiss system). I understand that the number of players should be forced depending of the number of rounds and the number of players per game (to make sure it falls right).

Last, I don't understand why, in a 2-player game, one will score +437 and the other one -451.

6. #6 / 28
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Toto wrote:
    tom wrote: Your score in this tournament will be based off the number of players supposed to start the game (i.e. you won't be at a disadvantage as a result of not having a full quota of players in the game).

when you play in a 2-player game instead of a 5-player game, it is already such an advantage to score 1 easy victory that it is unjust to have the same number of points than the others.

I disagree. What would be unjust would be to be penalized for your opponents' failure to join the game.

Given a situation like you mention - say, 3-round tourney with 5 player games. I win my first 2 games, and so do a few other people. For my third game, 3 players don't show up, so it's a one-on-one battle, and I win (obviously). What are our choices?

A) Calculate the tourney score as though it were a 2-player game. I automatically cannot win the tournament.

B) Calculate the tourney score as though it were a 5-player game. I have a chance to win, depending on various players' scores.

Option B (the current situation) is slightly unfair to other players who go 3-0 and had to face more opponents than I did. Then again, facing bad or absent opponents is always a part of playing WarGear, and their opponents had as much of a chance to fail to show up or at least play terribly as mine did.

Option A is crushingly unfair to me and makes it pointless for me to try to win or even play. If I can be taken out of contention by the mere fact that somebody didn't join my game, why should I bother?

Just doing my part to hold in Risky's big deal-ness

7. #7 / 28
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Well, I don't agree with you Asm, or may be I don't understand the way it works.

I understand that before looking at the score, the number of victories is deciding of the winner. So you can win (easily) even in option A). But if 2 players have 3 victories (which is quite unlikely as winners of the first round will play against each other in round 2), it's more just to decide that someone having eliminated more players is the winner rather than saying that the calculation will decide.

8. #8 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote: Is it true that the higher your tournament score for a particular board the higher chance you have of advancing in "case" of a tie?

I'm not aware of tournament score of the board coming into play at all for breaking ties.  I believe it is just Wins followed by Tournament Score of that Tournament.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

9. #9 / 28
    Standard Member Seige07
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I believe what Mad Bomber is talking about is for swiss tournaments. In most tournaments there are not enough undefeated players to fill the final game so some of the X-1's are selected to join. Someone said they think these players are selected based on their global tournament score. From my belief it is random.

I can't guarentee it's random but I know that your global tournament score does not affect this, as I've held that spot for a while now and rarely make it into the final game as the random X-1.

All your base are belong to us

10. #10 / 28
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It is random currently - within each 'scoring group' which is the players who have won the same number of games the players are shuffled before drawing the players for each game.

11. #11 / 28
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm trying to make a Force Unleashed tournament but it tells me there are too many people for this board and I only have it at 2. If I can make 1 player tournaments please let me know how.

12. #12 / 28
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Also, could we have a "Tournament Message" or something? Players don't see the message board unless they join and by that time it may be too late to warn them that it is a SimulGear game if they are not familiar with it.

13. #13 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote: Also, could we have a "Tournament Message" or something? Players don't see the message board unless they join and by that time it may be too late to warn them that it is a SimulGear game if they are not familiar with it.

They could always Leave, especially before start.  Silly monkey, this isn't WF where you are stranded forever!

Of course a Tournament Message isn't a bad idea (of course if they don't read the messages below Join they may not read that either).  Although would be a good idea if there is some sort of Public email sent out at Tournament creation.

14. #14 / 28
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yertle, you live in a beautiful and clean world......people won't realize until the game starts and then abandon the tournament and take a space from someone that might have actually played! Yes, we can't force people to read but maybe a warning might get a few people to stop and think.
    And that's one to grow on!

15. #15 / 28
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How about a little dialog box that comes up with a message?

"You are about to join a Simulgear tournament or game.  This is much different than normal play. Be sure to read the about and the rules carefully."

Then a couple of buttons, "Join/Abort"

..and a check box, "Don't bother to notify me in the future.  I knew the job was dangerous when I took it."

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

16. #16 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Isn't ConquerClub all SimulGear style? I'm pretty certain WarLight is.
    I'm really hesitant to say SimulGear is "different" or "harder" since some people may be very much more accustomed to it than turn-based.

17. #17 / 28
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yes but if a whole site is one style of play it isn't important but when you have a map that is different than the default (turn based) I think it is important to make it clear.

18. #18 / 28
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Gotchya, that does make more sense now!

19. #19 / 28
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How about a couple of small changes?

"You are about to join a SimulGear tournament or game.  This is different than the turn-based game normally played at WarGear. (for instance, SimulGear uses percentage dice) Be sure to read the "about" and the rules carefully."

Maybe a link to a summary of how SG works could be included.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

20. #20 / 28
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

too much wording ppl. you should know by now that ppl don't read what you want them to. if you're going to have a pop up you need it to be simple.

"You're about to join a SimulGear game. Are you sure?"

with the checkbox below
    "Don't bother to notify me in the future.  I knew the job was dangerous when I took it."

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)