220 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 25
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Probably an oversight or maybe there's a reason for this I don't know which. 

The Tournament section has the Top 20 on the right side there so why isn't there a Tournament Rankings button on the Ranking page to see more than the top 20?

2. #2 / 25
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I was thinking about this just a little bit ago. I would at least like to be able to see my tournament score on that page. :)

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

3. #3 / 25
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Probably just a feature's priority. I looked for that the day I saw tournament system had been implemented, and since I didn't find it I decided to reach the top 20!

d=

4. #4 / 25
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

<--------- #8

5. #5 / 25
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Viper wrote: <--------- #8

Uahauhauahuahuahauhauhauahuahauh!  Nice one!  {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

6. #6 / 25
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Correction

<----- #7

7. #7 / 25
    Standard Member Seige07
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Dang Hugh and BD for being so good.

<---- #3 =)

All your base are belong to us

8. #8 / 25
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'll add it to the ToDo list.

9. #9 / 25
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Guys, what do you think about sorting the Tournament ranking FIRST by number of tournaments won, and THEN by tournament score?

(=

10. #10 / 25
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tesctassa II wrote:

Guys, what do you think about sorting the Tournament ranking FIRST by number of tournaments won, and THEN by tournament score?

(=

My first thought is that some tournaments are much easier to win than others if only because of number of players.  So for the moment, score has more weight for me.

Best would be to have it be selectable.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

11. #11 / 25
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I concur with M.

12. #12 / 25
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Tesctassa II wrote:

(=

My first thought is that some tournaments are much easier to win than others if only because of number of players.  So for the moment, score has more weight for me.

Best would be to have it be selectable.

Yeah, I thought about that, but this would reward more who plays (and win) more tournament games even if he/she doesn't win them. I mean, if I'm win lots of big tournaments but I play disastrously in few others, I'll have a low score compare to someone that wins lots of game in various T, but not enough to win them.

What I'm trying to point out is that probably the tournament win/loss score should be taken in account as well.

For example, It could be weighted using the "difficulty" of the tournament as a parameter, so a hard tournament would count more than 1 while an easy one less than 1. To measure the difficulty of a tournament it could be possible to use the board ranking score of players participating in the tournament and/or the number of rounds (less rounds = more difficoult).

Or maybe the winner of the tournament could get bonus points as a "price", using some criteria to decide how much, or just deciding a fixed amount.

What do you think? (=

13. #13 / 25
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A third category for a "weighted" score might be a possibility, but even weighting wins still rewards those who play more.

Perhaps something more like an H-rating where wins show as a percentage of total opps/games, etc. might be more relevant.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

14. #14 / 25
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote: A third category for a "weighted" score might be a possibility, but even weighting wins still rewards those who play more

If by "even weighting wins still rewards those who play more." you mean that the more you play the more points you can have, well, there's not much you can do avoid that. Only normalizing the score could do the work.

The idea behind my question is that when you join a tournament you do it to win the tournament, no to win as much games as you can. Of course you have to do the second to obtain the first, but the goal is to win the whole tournament. For example, if at the last round I lose against the lowest ranked player of the whole ranking, not just of the tournament, but I still win the competition, I drop in the rankings despite having beaten other top-ranked players.

With the actual method, the rankings shows nothing more than the global ranking without the players that doesn't play much in tournaments. That's why it doesn't make much sense to me.

15. #15 / 25
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I think wins are the most important factor. After all the second placed finisher it just the first loser ;)

Winner takes it all!

16. #16 / 25
    Standard Member Seige07
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

You just don't like seeing me on top do you. =(

I actually like the idea of having won tournaments move you up in the list in some way, the problem is that how do you rank winning an 8 man tournament against winning a 64 man tournament? How do you rank winning a 3 Round Swiss tournament (that already cause controversy) against winning a 15 round Round-Robin tournament?

All your base are belong to us
    Edited Thu 16th Sep 12:41 [history]

17. #17 / 25
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Seige07 wrote:

You just don't like seeing me on top do you. =(

That's what she said

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

18. #18 / 25
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Which is, of course, totally wrong

Just doing my part to hold in Risky's big deal-ness

19. #19 / 25
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Seige07 wrote:

I actually like the idea of having won tournaments move you up in the list in some way, the problem is that how do you rank winning an 8 man tournament against winning a 64 man tournament? How do you rank winning a 3 Round Swiss tournament (that already cause controversy) against winning a 15 round Round-Robin tournament?

Weight tournament win.  =)

Tesctassa II wrote:

For example, It could be weighted using the "difficulty" of the tournament as a parameter, so a hard tournament would count more than 1 while an easy one less than 1. To measure the difficulty of a tournament it could be possible to use the board ranking score of players participating in the tournament and/or the number of rounds (less rounds = more difficoult).

Or maybe the winner of the tournament could get bonus points as a "price", using some criteria to decide how much, or just deciding a fixed amount.

20. #20 / 25
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How about an H-Score for tournaments? Or rather extend h-rating to the tournament level.
    That is:
    count the number of opponents you have beaten (number of participants in a tournament which you have won) and divide by the number of opponents faced (total number of participants in your tournaments you won plus the number of tournaments lost). Be sure not to count self as a participant and this could be meaningful.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.
    Edited Thu 16th Sep 22:40 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)