Pages:   12345678   (8 in total)
  1. #41 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:
    Yertle wrote:

Add in a player who takes 29 days to take a turn and it's a HUGE impact.

A player who takes 29 days isn't going to come back to the site to take a turn -- that person has already forgotten about WarGear and moved on.

And I don't think asm was really suggesting moving the timer to a month either... ;)

2. #42 / 149
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Can we try 3/7 for 2 months and see how we like it? Is the programming change a huge hassle?

Oh, and here's another idea - let's just boot people who miss their 1st turn. I would say very rarely does someone miss their first turn and then come back. Also uncommon is the mid-game boot, I know it happens, but not nearly as frequently. So, let's get the common "sign-up and not come back" people out of the games quicker.

3. #43 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Isn't it a bit funny that this thread was to get rid of Vacation (to have faster games, I assume) and here it is on how to take longer times for games...

Think this (changing from 2-3 days) would help or hurt Standard members who don't have Vacations? Perhaps less need for them but also they only have the 10 game limit so less the ability to "just join another game"...

4. #44 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:
    Oh, and here's another idea - let's just boot people who miss their 1st turn. I would say very rarely does someone miss their first turn and then come back. Also uncommon is the mid-game boot, I know it happens, but not nearly as frequently. So, let's get the common "sign-up and not come back" people out of the games quicker.

No to that IMO!

5. #45 / 149
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Yeah, I'm going to take a pass on Amidon's proposal as well. Tournament invites would complicate that rule, if nothing else.

I think moving the timer to 3/7 will definitely help the standard members; heck, if we have standard members thinking they can take the weekends off and discovering the hard way that they can't, it might be a leading cause for defections around here. Personally, I'll be infinitely happier if it means I can actually spend time with my family on the weekends instead of hastily logging in after my son goes to bed on Sunday.

asm wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

6. #46 / 149
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

1/3/7

Longest innings. Most deadly.

7. #47 / 149
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

What does 3/7 mean?  3 days every 7 days?  If so, I still don't know what that means.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

8. #48 / 149
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

3 days every 7th vernal equinox, Silly.

9. #49 / 149
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Glad we cleared that up.. I remain confused.

BAO alternative:

10. #50 / 149
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I advocate a 1 day, 3 day, and 7 day boot timer option.

11. #51 / 149
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

hmmm.. I like. I personally would play a lot of 1 day games, but I would join 3 day games as well. One problem I can think of: Newbies could join a number of 1 day games thinking they can handle it, and then the harsh reality of a long day or a strange weekend hits..

I know this sounds nit-picky, but a 30 or 36 hour clock might make all the difference.

BAO alternative:

12. #52 / 149
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

The only change IMO is that the people that are weekday players should be playing games with the 5 day boot. That's why its there. If you are a anyday player then you should play with the 2 day boot. You know the risks when you join the game.

13. #53 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

KrocK wrote: The only change IMO is that the people that are weekday players should be playing games with the 5 day boot. That's why its there. If you are a anyday player then you should play with the 2 day boot. You know the risks when you join the game.

This is an awesome idea!  The 5 day timer easily covers the weekend and is open to anyone to create/join games with.  Seriously that makes sense.

14. #54 / 149
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    KrocK wrote: The only change IMO is that the people that are weekday players should be playing games with the 5 day boot. That's why its there. If you are a anyday player then you should play with the 2 day boot. You know the risks when you join the game.

This is an awesome idea!  The 5 day timer easily covers the weekend and is open to anyone to create/join games with.  Seriously that makes sense.

It does, but so does a 3 day timer.  What percentage of even casual gamers out there do you think prefer the idea of a 5 day timer?  Yes, most in these games will take their turns every day or two so the games will not last that long, but I dont' know that most people thing that way.. Many newbies are probably thinking that it could take weeks before their turn comes around.

If we stay with 2/5, then maybe the 2 part needs to have a disclaimer. "You will need to play over the weekend"

I vote for 1/3/5, (fast/normal/extended).  After all, apparently most people need weekends off. That's "normal".   1/3/7 might even make more sense for people who can only play on weekends.

1.  FAST - Be prepared to play EVERY day

3.  NORMAL - Don't worry about not being able to take your turn over a busy weekend.

5.  EXTENDED - Conquer the world over the weekends.

BAO alternative:
    Edited Thu 26th Aug 07:20 [history]

15. #55 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

lol and wow

Seems like the system does a good job of supporting people who want to miss weekends, use 5 day time, and people who will check at least once on the weekends but want faster games, use 2 day time. But tom's choice.

16. #56 / 149
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There are two goals here, and they are in conflict.

On the one hand, you want the most people on the same timer.. Right now we're doing that pretty well.  I'm going to guess that 95% of non-lightning games are on a 2DT.

On the other hand, the problem is that 95% of non-lightning games are on a 2DT.  We want people to be happy with their choice, and a 2 day timer is not working for a lot of people.

Now I get it that more choices would spread out the community even thinner, but consider that in a 1/3/5 world, the games might break down 20/78/2%.  Really!  Once you put a 3 day timer in, who needs a 5 day timer?  Are there really people who will use it once the weekend problem is solved?

I'd say give 1/3/5 a try for a few months and see.  If no one is using the 5DT, pull it.  20/80 is not a community killer.  It's a compromise that may end up being a community builder.

BAO alternative:
    Edited Thu 26th Aug 11:50 [history]

17. #57 / 149
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I agree with M57 with one adjustment.

1. Lightning

2. Fast

3. Normal

4. Extended

18. #58 / 149
    Standard Member bengaltiger
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'd say remove the 5 day timer right now. Don't fracture the community more, just give them two good options of 1 and 3 day timers. Right now 5 isn't used at all. I think both 1 and 3 day timers would get used frequently, and would solve most of the issues present. The hardcore folks can use the 1 day timer, as that won't be an issue at all for people who log on every day. 3 works for anyone who wants to be able to take a weekend without checking.

19. #59 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

bengaltiger wrote:  Right now 5 isn't used at all.

That's not true.

My hypothesis is that 1 day timers really wouldn't be used all that much either.

20. #60 / 149
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

With the default being 3 days I assume?

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345678   (8 in total)