1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12345678   (8 in total)
  1. #21 / 149
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: What about a 3 day timer?

That would be great! I'm addicted too, but sometimes taking a break, having an Iced Mocha and relaxing is reeeeeeally a must!

(=

2. #22 / 149
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:
    asm wrote: What about a 3 day timer?

What about it? 

I am still with you and am too addicted to see how you go a WHOLE weekend without taking a turn.
    I also would advocate for a week for the extended timer so someone could be exclusively a weekend player (the opposite of you "only at work" folks).

Meh, I rarely take turns on the weekend until Sunday night when I have to or risk being booted. I'm just busy doing other stuff and don't think about taking turns, even when I'm at my computer.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

3. #23 / 149
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I like Alpha's suggestion. A 3/7 timer would be perfect, especially since it's pretty clear that was the original goal of the 2/5 timer we have right now.

asm wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

4. #24 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Blech on waiting 6 days or 2 weeks for someone to get booted. 4 days/10 days is annoying already in big games.

5. #25 / 149
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Greater good, Yertle. The site shouldn't be designed for the convenience of a handful of hard-core players.

Just doing my part to hold in Risky's big deal-ness

6. #26 / 149
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: Greater good, Yertle. The site shouldn't be designed for the convenience of a handful of hard-core players.

I completely disagree with this!

Since the fire (2 FRAKING MONTHS AGO!) I do not have access to a computer on the weekends unless I go somewhere and I don't like going places.  As of now, at about Noon on Sundays I have to rush somewhere to take my turns so I don't get skipped.  I like playing but I don't like it being a chore and I'm not gonna take vacation every weekend just because the town I live in refuses to give building permits without making people wait 2 months (Yes, I'm angry and bitter).

I like the 3 day thing so that the weekends don't get in the way of things but I hate the 3 day thing also because I usually take my turns quickly and don't want to join 50 games just so I can have some turns during the week.

What I am saying is I don't like the 3 days, I like the 3 days better, vacations suck, too many games suck, not enough turns suck, Fire sucks and local governments should suck my truck nuts!

Any confusion on my opinions should be taken up with my spokesperson Cramchakle

Cobra Commander + Larry - Mo * Curly = RiskyBack

7. #27 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Aye, I bet there are probably just as many posts or more about the amount of time it takes between turns and the length of time of games and the number of boots (more related to players joining and leaving than the 2/3 day thing) compare to the 2/3 day timer.

I'm not saying the 3 day thing is really that bad, just there are, IMO, big negative results that could come out of it. Longer games/tournaments and more time between turns is a big drawback in my opinion, and I would guess in a lot of people's opinion.

8. #28 / 149
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

From where I'm sitting, the negative result of having to rush online on Sundays to keep from getting booted is a much more negative problem for me than having to wait an extra N*2 days for N players to get booted from an obnoxiously long Antastic! game full of noobs. Plus, most of my games are tournament games with active players, so it's not like I'm waiting that long for my turn, anyway.

asm wrote:

9. #29 / 149
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There also seems to be the assumption that a longer boot time would actually lead to longer time between turns. I don't see this as the typical occurrence (certainly it will happen with slow folks or the once and out doots), since most of the people I play in games are from the addicted core and/or log in at least once a day. I cannot imagine this is that different from anyone else's experience as I play a variety of boards.
    I still really hold no strong opinion on this timer as I log in roughly every 12 hours for about 2 hours at a time.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

10. #30 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:  since most of the people I play in games are from the addicted core and/or log in at least once a day. I cannot imagine this is that different from anyone else's experience as I play a variety of boards.

So...most of the people that play public games log in once a day? Which wouldn't the greater good be for quicker games?  :P

11. #31 / 149
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Alpha wrote:  since most of the people I play in games are from the addicted core and/or log in at least once a day. I cannot imagine this is that different from anyone else's experience as I play a variety of boards.

So...most of the people that play public games log in once a day? Which wouldn't the greater good be for quicker games?  :P

Yes, but I don't see boot timer making quicker games, just quicker boots and potentially quicker lost players.

*edit: should have said most of the time, I dont see...

Edited Tue 24th Aug 23:07 [history]

12. #32 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

Yes, but I don't see boot timer making quicker games, just quicker boots and potentially quicker lost players.

*edit: should have said most of the time, I dont see...

{#emotions_dlg.suspicious}

I guess when I think of quicker boots and quicker lost players (one and outs especially) I think of quicker games... since if not it would be longer boots and longer lost players and longer games...

{#emotions_dlg.razz}

13. #33 / 149
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

fair enough.

14. #34 / 149
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The point is that for players at the fast end of the spectrum, the boot timer won't have a significant impact on turn time and therefore game speed. That is, the boot timer could be a month long and that game with me, Yertle, Risky and Tom would still take exactly the same length of time that it's going to now. So for that subset of players there's no impact. Coincidentally, that subset of players also happens to be the very vocal minority that hangs out in the forums and complains about noobs.

The whole point of what we are trying to do here - or, I'll say, what we SHOULD be trying to do here - and if you disagree with my next statement, you need to re-evaluate your priorities - is to convert people from outside that group into members of that group. We need to take people that are not WarGear players and turn them into WarGear players. Then we need to turn them into active players. Then we need to turn them into Premium players.

A boot timer that seems to the casual player to be overly punitive and does not allow one to take a weekend off from the computer is destructive to our goals.

Just doing my part to hold in Risky's big deal-ness

15. #35 / 149
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Something is wrong with me, because I agree with asm yet again.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

16. #36 / 149
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Vataro wrote: Something is wrong with me, because I agree with asm yet again.

I agree with most of the recent discussion.  2 days, 3 days would not change most of the games I play in, as I play with friends who crank out their turns and an occasional 3 day turn is not going to be a big deal.  But I can see how this extension would be bothersome to all of the CP hunters out there.

Being a more casual player myself, I would advocate a three day turn. The only time I travel away from my computers is on the weekends and  I could be gone from Friday night to Sunday night. It usually comes in at about 50-52 hours (I just lost a game to ASM recently because of a weekend skip).  I will full on admit that I would take advantage of 3 days turns when I needed them. But It would make the overall WarGear experience more enjoyable.

In the end, all things are squishy.
    Edited Wed 25th Aug 14:15 [history]

17. #37 / 149
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

@asm - Thank you for articulating what I could not.

18. #38 / 149
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: The point is that for players at the fast end of the spectrum, the boot timer won't have a significant impact on turn time and therefore game speed. That is, the boot timer could be a month long and that game with me, Yertle, Risky and Tom would still take exactly the same length of time that it's going to now. So for that subset of players there's no impact.

I do think this is wrong.

Add in a player who takes 29 days to take a turn and it's a HUGE impact.

Boot timer affects length of game.  That's all I'm saying.

19. #39 / 149
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Add in a player who takes 29 days to take a turn and it's a HUGE impact.

A player who takes 29 days isn't going to come back to the site to take a turn -- that person has already forgotten about WarGear and moved on.

20. #40 / 149
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

What Kjeld said.

Yes, an increased boot timer will make it take longer to flush out the one-and-dones that we get here, but not by all that much. Assuming a 12-player game with six inactive players, we're looking at increasing the length of that game from 24 days to 36 in boots alone. Does that matter? Sure, though I'd argue that when you get to the "this game is taking a month just because of boots" point, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things if it takes just under a month or just over one.

asm wrote:

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345678   (8 in total)