Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 59
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hi all

I've updated the Designer with a few of the more key usability enhancements that have been requested:

1. You can add multiple borders at a time and hit enter to apply the changes

2. You can add multiple border modifiers at a time, again hit enter to apply

I've also updated the border visualisation so there is a border direction arrow + a red / green modifier arrow. It's green if the attack modifier is greater than the defend modifier and red if the opposite. Only problem with this is it doesn't look great when borders are very short esp. when modifiers are in both directions but it's only something the designer would see.

Any comments please let me know.

cheers

Tom

2. #2 / 59
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

It's great! Wow, much better than I expected when I first read your post. One thing that would be cool is if you could keep the drop downs at the top when you scroll down on the map so if you are doing stuff at the bottom of the map, like modifiers, you don't have to scroll back up to add the modifier. It's really not that big of a thing but if it is simple to do, that would be nice.

Yes, I know you could do the modifier in the drop down first and then scroll down to do the actual thing on the map but I am usually making stuff up as I go along and so I don't know what I am doing until I am doing it.
    Funny, I had a ex-girlfriend who accused me of that also.

3. #3 / 59
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote: I am usually making stuff up as I go along and so I don't know what I am doing until I am doing it.
    Funny, I had a ex-girlfriend who accused me of that also.

Like the morning weathergirl has any right to accuse anyone of that...

4. #4 / 59
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I had an ex-girlfriend once too. I have no idea what to call her now.

5. #5 / 59
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Presumably she's still an ex-girlfriend? Or is she your girlfriend again? If so: ex-ex-girlfriend? :/

6. #6 / 59
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I appreciate your work, tom, but the multiple border thing isn't quite what i imagined... I was more thinking like how the multiple modifiers thing works, so that I can start with 1 country and attach it to all the other countries it borders at once. The long chain is still useful, and kind of neat, but definitely not how I process a map.

7. #7 / 59
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I can change it to the same system if you like... I just thought the chaining would reduce the number of clicks that's all. Happy to take the expert designer view on this!

8. #8 / 59
    Standard Member Davidny212
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Where is the link to the designer? Curious how you design you're own boards.

9. #9 / 59
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

hi David - if you click on the boards tab you should see a 'Board Designer' button at the top - it's under there. If you have any questions about how it all works please ask.

10. #10 / 59
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I made a few updates to the Designer as requested:

1. Reverted to modifier style of adding borders with pairs of territories rather than chaining territories
    2. Fixed Scenario mode bug not showing unit numbers when in fill mode
    3. Prevented borders from being deleted when clicking on a Territory in Border delete mode
    4. 'Test Fill all territories' button added

Any problems please let me know here...

11. #11 / 59
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: I made a few updates to the Designer as requested:

1. Reverted to modifier style of adding borders with pairs of territories rather than chaining territories
    2. Fixed Scenario mode bug not showing unit numbers when in fill mode
    3. Prevented borders from being deleted when clicking on a Territory in Border delete mode
    4. 'Test Fill all territories' button added

Any problems please let me know here...

1. You're going to hate this, but I actually kind of liked the chaining once I got used to it, and couldn't it potentially save on Total Number of Clicks?  Anyhow, options as to which way to do it would be cool, but could potentially be confusing too, so whichever.

4. Very Snazzy (or is that Snassy?)!

12. #12 / 59
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Sorry, Yertle. I dig it this way. I found it far too easy to miss borders or lose track of things on a large map trying to chain around...

Edited Fri 20th Nov 10:02 [history]

13. #13 / 59
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:

Sorry, Yertle. I dig it this way. I found it far too easy to miss borders or lose track of things on a large map trying to chain around...

But wouldn't it have been great for Connect Some?  Straight lines down rather than having to add borders for each territory?

I do agree though, it can get a bit confusing and easy to miss borders, but it can be useful too.  Like I said though, I'm not too crazy about it, just seen some perks to it.

14. #14 / 59
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yeah, I threw the borders into SimCity in about 2 minutes with the chaining because it was so simple. It was quite nice. On the other hand, chaining was a horrid catastrophe trying to work in Infection. A toggle button probably wouldn't kill anybody.

15. #15 / 59
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Gotta side with Cramchakle on this. The chaining was nice sometimes but most maps aren't gonna have straight borders like that and it is easier to keep in mind what you are doing if you can just concentrate on doing one territory's borders at a time. On maps with lots of borders, it gets confusing if you have to keep chaining around....all the line create clutter making it hard to see what is connected.

16. #16 / 59
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Goddam, I love that Monkey in Black avatar.

17. #17 / 59
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Fill All is AWESOME!!!! Thanks Tom (if that is your real name)

18. #18 / 59
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

OK I'll add in a toggle for the chain mode. Mental note... when in doubt, make it an option!

19. #19 / 59
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

...and make one option the default so lazy people don't have to choose =]

20. #20 / 59
    WWI Flying Ace Red Baron
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

RiskyBack wrote: Fill All is AWESOME!!!! Thanks Tom (if that is your real name)

I agree, Fill All is a very helpful option.  I could wish for two changes, though:

1. Omit white as a fill color.  (Since I use white as the color to fill, I can't tell if the white ones got filled properly.)

2. Put a number (or other symbol) where the number would be so I can tell if the number is placed correctly.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)