1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Hi! Here's the question:

Would it be possible and appreciated to add a new tournament type structured like this: a first "qualification" stage and a second one with knockout ??? (ie something that resembles the FIFA World Cup or the NBA league).

To save some time (and to propose something more than just a vague idea) I thought about two options.

NOTE: 'N' is the number of players-per-game selected when creating the tournament

OPTION 1

The first stage could be a simple swiss-system tournament where the first N*4 players pass to the knockout stage. Then, in the knockout stage there would be the quarter-finals, each with N players-per-games, where from each game the first N/2 players advance to the semi-final. Same thing goes for the final: the first N/2 players comes from each semi-final. If 'N' is odd, the best player among those not qualified is advanced.

For example if games have 7 players, than there will be 28 players in the quarter finals. From each game the first three advance plus the two best fourth.

Or maybe just impose that 'N' is even ;)

About the number of players in the first stage, I'd say it to be at least N*8. That is, half of those who joined advance to the next stage.

OPTION 2

The first stage could be divided in 'M' round-robin groups with 15 players that play 3-players games. Advancing to the next stage is done by choosing the best (N*4) / M players from each group. Again if that division is not even, the missing players are chosen among the best who did not reach the top X seat in their group. The knockout stage goes the same way as in option 1.

For example, suppose that users chose N=5 players per game and 45 players for the tournament, there are M=3 groups in the first stage. Then we have 5*4 / 3 = 6 + 2. So top 6 players from each group advance to knockout stage plus the two best seventh.

So, what do you think about it? :)

If you read the whole post till here, then  

THX FOR THE ATTENTION!!! =D

2. #2 / 8
    Where's the armor? Mongrel
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Sure. Soccer system.

Longest innings. Most deadly.

3. #3 / 8
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

This has a technical problem for boards with a fixed number of players, but seems like a good idea.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

4. #4 / 8
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

First of all, thx for the replies guys! :D

Alpha wrote: This has a technical problem for boards with a fixed number of players, but seems like a good idea.

Well, for boards with a fixed number of players there shouldn't be too many problems. Actually with option 1 there shouldn't be at all. With option 2, it'd be simply impossible to start the tournament, as it is now for board such as '4Play', where you can't play round-robin tournaments.

(=

5. #5 / 8
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

No answer from developers??? d=

6. #6 / 8
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sorry I missed this one - yes, it's possible, in fact I originally planned to have Option 1 available, it would be a simple choice of top two or top four league players have a finals playoffs in league tournaments.

It got dropped but it's still planned to implement this, I need to revisit the tournament system to add knockout and custom tournaments.

7. #7 / 8
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: Sorry I missed this one - yes, it's possible, in fact I originally planned to have Option 1 available, it would be a simple choice of top two or top four league players have a finals playoffs in league tournaments.

It got dropped but it's still planned to implement this, I need to revisit the tournament system to add knockout and custom tournaments.

Great!!! Thx for the reply Tom! Can't wait till is implemented, but I'll try to

;)

8. #8 / 8
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

The above sounds like fun, and I will try to wait patiently for implementation also.

Along these lines, I love double-elimination tournaments in general - but I've only had experience with 2 player games. From what I have read about the way it worked on ToS (two-player advance) and the problems (collusion/playing for second) I have on-and-off thought about ways to improve the system. Here is what I have so far -

The only way I have found where a straight double-elimination works out for n>2 player games is with 27 players in 3 person games. Anything else gets gummed up somewhere, but if we allow games to have an ideal size and allow some games to either have 1 more or 1 less than that number (either would work and could be a setting) then I am fairly sure you can do a double elimination tournament for most sizes with a regular winners bracket and losers bracket.

One quirk worked in is that the players at the top of the winners bracket play one less game then those that end up in the losers bracket. I think this makes up for the twist that happens when the person at the top of the winner's bracket loses and another game is forced.

I haven't worked out algorithms for creating brackets, but I could if the interest was there.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)