212 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 30
    Standard Member captnmorgan123
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

This is a cool looking board and fun for 1 on 1, if you start at the top. Has anyone won from the bottom position? It seems troop bonuses are way out of proportion.  Maybe I just suck but it seems to me if you start at the top and use the not-so-secret "secret" tunnel you most likely will win.

2. #2 / 30
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

it's starting to look a bit biased. during development we thought we had it all evened out and the only thing preventing a win were bad rolls. but it's starting to look like i may need to pull this off and make some changes. maybe a few more starting units for player 2 (this would neutralize the fact that you can't sweep thru the bottom rooms like you can the top), a few more for the bottom bonus (again same reasoning). i think i've already decided to reduce the Altar Supply Closet to a +1 to keep the top from rushing that (which i don't think anyone in the dev games did).

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

3. #3 / 30
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Something needs to be done.

At the very, very least the bottom player should always go first.

It's a trap!

4. #4 / 30
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yeah, i'm seeing that. been discussing options. think the first attempted fix will be giving the second player an extra 4-5 units to start with and the supply closet will only be a +1

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

5. #5 / 30
    Standard Member kidamnesiac
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

well, ive played quite a few games on this board, started from both ends, and think the board is set up great. theres 2 ways to get at one another, and you take a gamble no matter what. the only thing that unevens the play is just getting horribly rolled against all of those neutral teritories your first turn. personally, i kind of prefer the bottom position.

6. #6 / 30
    Standard Member kidamnesiac
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

for perspective, i'm 3 and 1 from the bottom, 2 and 1 from the top.

7. #7 / 30
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

After many more games I'm softening my position as well. Both starting spots are vulnerable to getting killed vs neutrals in the first couple of turns. I still think the top spot has an advantage when going first, but the bottom spot isn't the deathtrap I initially thought it was.

It's a trap!

8. #8 / 30
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

well damn you...after i just released an updated version.

well try it out see if it was too much (gave player #2 5 more starting units - too much i think - and lowered the supply closet bonus to 1, which should have been done in the first place it just got missed)

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

9. #9 / 30
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

the supply closet thing may be good enough on its own

It's a trap!

10. #10 / 30
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

oh and i upped the defensive dice to be 6v9

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

11. #11 / 30
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

This may have swung things too far in the other direction. So far I'm 2 for 2 taking the first bottom continent in 1 turn, without particularly good dice in either case. With only 10 units the top player has no chance to take the Altar continent and going for the closet at +1 isn't worth it. The extra starting units was too much IMO.

It's a trap!

12. #12 / 30
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm 0 for 1 on taking the bottom continent on the first turn. So there.

13. #13 / 30
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'm 0 for 0 in every conceivable configuration. It's perfectly balanced.

-John Hancock-

14. #14 / 30
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

that's an interesting look asm - i didn't look at that on the older games...

bottom is 4-2 (weird how i got bottom in ALL 6 games i started!)
    top is 2-4

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

15. #15 / 30
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

It's been a month from the last post but I'll answer anyway.

Without considering bad rolls, I think the bottom player has the advantage. I've been playing 10 games recently on this map, and aside the games played in this tournament (lost all of them, no matter the position. Just got bad rolls one after another), first player always won, except once maybe.

It seems like the only strategy for top player is "wait until you got good rolls", while bottom player get a good bonus lot earlier that the top one.

Smile

16. #16 / 30
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

the board is actually turning out to be pretty even, given one or the other doesn't have bad rolls. And the randomness of which seat placement starting first is becoming irrelevant. In games that both have had good rolls, both top and bottom are both winning, and usually the player with a better strategy (i.e. more experience) is winning, which is the way it should be.

Granted the bottom player has an "apparent" slight advantage due to the fact he can control two bonuses thru one choke point. However, this is countered by having to capture many dead ends. I would like to point out, that the top definitely has the ability to capture matching bonuses.

I'm seeing that the only thing really unfair on this board is how hard the damn neutrals are fighting back! The board is playing fairly even right now and I'll be leaving it as it is until many more games are played.

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

17. #17 / 30
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

damn double post

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen
    Edited Mon 17th May 11:05 [history]

18. #18 / 30
    Standard Member Tesctassa II
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: the board is actually turning out to be pretty even, given one or the other doesn't have bad rolls. And the randomness of which seat placement starting first is becoming irrelevant. In games that both have had good rolls, both top and bottom are both winning, and usually the player with a better strategy (i.e. more experience) is winning, which is the way it should be.

Granted the bottom player has an "apparent" slight advantage due to the fact he can control two bonuses thru one choke point. However, this is countered by having to capture many dead ends. I would like to point out, that the top definitely has the ability to capture matching bonuses.

I'm seeing that the only thing really unfair on this board is how hard the damn neutrals are fighting back! The board is playing fairly even right now and I'll be leaving it as it is until many more games are played.

Ok!  I'll take your words for two reasons:

1) you're the developer and I guess you've tested it and you're still checking it, so you know what's going on (btw, the map is cool, despite the fact that I called all my games on this board "I hate this map" {#emotions_dlg.razz})

2) you're making me a compliment since, except for the games of the tournament I mentioned before, I won 7 games out of 8, hence I am using the right strategy for this map {#emotions_dlg.razz}

Just for the record, I won:

• 5 games playing as the bottom in seat 1
    • 1 game playing as the top in seat 1
    • 1 as the bottom player in seat 2,

and lost

• 1 game as top player on seat 1.

Salut!

Smile

19. #19 / 30
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I agree with Tesctassa, the bottom has a definite edge.

20. #20 / 30
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yeah. I don't think there's really a question at this point.

Bottom can control his continent in 1 move (yes, requires good rolling, but top has zero chance of that). And can control 2 continents (+10!!) in 2 moves. Top has essentially no possibility of controlling his first continent in 1 turn, and has to get very lucky just to get it in TWO turns, and if he doesn't he can be getting out-earned 13 to 3.

If bottom goes first, top has basically no chance of keeping up.

It's a trap!
    Edited Mon 17th May 20:29 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)