203 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 27
    Standard Member sreg
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

i'm watching you eat me right now. hello kamikaze button!

2. #22 / 27
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hi all, many of you might know me from WF.   As you can imagine, I'm dealing with a WG learning curve right now.   I have a few - actually a lot of questions, but I'll try to just ask some related to this discussion.  

1. Is there any real-time way to know if it's my turn other than e-mail?   Do I have to always hit refresh to find out?  (I'm using Chrome for a Browser).  I invited my brother to a quick two person game and we eventually got on the phone to speed things up.  We didn't know when the other was through.. In WF we can watch things unfold in real-time on the same board.  (Hmm.. maybe I have to put it in history mode? ..but then toggle back and forth?)  There must be a way, but I haven't found it. 

2. Why isn't there a 1 hour, or 12 hour or 24 hour game option

3. (not related to this thread, but while I'm thinking) Are there tournaments yet?  I don't see them.

I haven't really had enough experience playing to be sure, but so far -- turns on WG seem to go slower than WF.

Someone would have to check to see if this is true, but if people who have too many games open have a tendency to take longer times between turn, how about a limit to the number of games you can have open based on your statistical ability to take turns in a timely fashion? 

3. #23 / 27
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Hi all, many of you might know me from WF.   As you can imagine, I'm dealing with a WG learning curve right now.   I have a few - actually a lot of questions, but I'll try to just ask some related to this discussion.  

1. Is there any real-time way to know if it's my turn other than e-mail?   Do I have to always hit refresh to find out?  (I'm using Chrome for a Browser).  I invited my brother to a quick two person game and we eventually got on the phone to speed things up.  We didn't know when the other was through.. In WF we can watch things unfold in real-time on the same board.  (Hmm.. maybe I have to put it in history mode? ..but then toggle back and forth?)  There must be a way, but I haven't found it. 

2. Why isn't there a 1 hour, or 12 hour or 24 hour game option

3. (not related to this thread, but while I'm thinking) Are there tournaments yet?  I don't see them.

I haven't really had enough experience playing to be sure, but so far -- turns on WG seem to go slower than WF.

Someone would have to check to see if this is true, but if people who have too many games open have a tendency to take longer times between turn, how about a limit to the number of games you can have open based on your statistical ability to take turns in a timely fashion? 

1. Just leaving the Flash Player up refreshes automatically so you can watch the turns Live, just like WF.  Side note, I don't actually do this too often so I'm only pretty sure on that functionality because normally I click Refresh a lot too.

2.  Since all Public games have Auto-Skip (with Auto-Boot if 2 consecutive skips occur), it has so far been shown that 1, 12, and 24 hours were somewhat "harsh".  This topic keeps coming up though, so probably something to continue to watch (just my opinion, I think the current system works fairly well).

3. Tom's working on tournaments now, should be a drastically HUGE improvement over WF tournament system, so it has taken him a while to get going, but he mentioned he hoped to have the testing for it soon (ie like last week or so :P, so hopefully this week :).

Turn times, I think you may be right and here's my thoughts as to why (and I'm kind of against a "filter" for Ranked Games due to turn times).  My thought is that it's due to no restriction on when a player can join a Ranked game.  On WF you had to have at least 2 private games played before the Public Queue was opened up, here you can Join and then be in a Public game in under a minute, I think this is a piece of what leads to more boots and longer turn times in games.  I like that a new player can join and be in a public game immediately, but I do dislike the high number of boots that occur because someone joins and jumps in a public game only to never return and I'm not sure if it's a problem due to WG (site doesn't tell them what they are doing/too hard) or if it's just an Internet thing (I think this is it more).

Welcome to WarGear!

4. #24 / 27
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

3. Tom's working on tournaments now, should be a drastically HUGE improvement over WF tournament system, so it has taken him a while to get going, but he mentioned he hoped to have the testing for it soon (ie like last week or so :P, so hopefully this week :).

Here's the link to the forum thread on tournaments: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/372/Tournament_play_your_suggestions_needed

5. #25 / 27
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

with regards to the Flash player refreshing. it doesn't refresh often. i'll have to check on my next turn, but i thought it was 120s or 150s. DEFINITELY not a realtime update like what M57 is talkin about. as far as i know there's really not a way to watch what's happening real time at all.

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

6. #26 / 27
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The auto-refresh interval is at 1min, 3mins and 5mins. This could maybe be dropped down / extended - there was a problem with this causing server latency that I have since fixed by another method.

I'm hoping to get the tournaments up and running today, just trying to fix a a few last minute bugs.

7. #27 / 27
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: The auto-refresh interval is at 1min, 3mins and 5mins. This could maybe be dropped down / extended - there was a problem with this causing server latency that I have since fixed by another method.

I'm hoping to get the tournaments up and running today, just trying to fix a a few last minute bugs.

Really? That's awesome! We need to get people together to try it out!

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)