0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So, the only board I have here is one of my worst. I thought I had a couple more kicking around from back in the day, there were two that I remembered publishing and another I played on only with my friends. But I actually logged into an old site and found that I had another few boards that I don't even remember designing, but they look pretty good.

So, I have two questions, one general and one specific: If I find the hard drive that has these old map images on them, does it seem worth the effort to port a couple old geo boards onto WG, even though they may not have been tested extensively for balance?

Also, I apparently designed and published a board in 2010 or so with gameplay centered around gaining ownership of both sides of various U.S./Mexico border crossings. Possibly a little too politically charged for the present day. I should 'cancel' that particular one... right?

2. #2 / 10
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

The fun answer is the more the merrier - if you want to spend time on it, bring them on. The killjoy answer is that this site has more boards than it needs and many that we have are of uneven quality for one reason or another (including ones I made). 

I vote for fun - bring them on.

And as for that Hawaii board - I do enjoy playing it, but the card scale sucks. Make a scenario where the cards increase by 1 forever (or something like that) and I think it would be much more playable. 

3. #3 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I vote you bring the boards here. 

>I do enjoy playing it, but the card scale sucks. Make a scenario where the cards increase by 1 forever (or something like that) and I think it would be much more playable. 

I sometimes wonder if there is some way we could bring the collective wisdom of the map designers here to improve some of the boards.  There is one in particular that I think is 80-90% of the way to being a very fun board, but it has a fatal flaw that ruins about 50% of the games.  Without getting into the details of that one board, I'm curious how people feel about adding a scenario to boards to fix problems with them.  I'm talking specifically about boards where the designer is long gone.

My opinion is that if the designer has not logged into wargear in at least a year, and we can get a general consensus from the map making community that the board would be significantly improved by a change, we should create 'community approved improvements' scenarios.  I don't think we should ever remove or replace existing scenarios (unless there is an actual bug).  

I do think we'd want to have a more rigorous review process and criteria to keep this from getting out of hand, but I hate knowing this one board is so close to being so much more fun.

4. #4 / 10
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thanks for the feedback.

Ozyman I think that is a GREAT idea. Let's just set a super high bar to clear to get a scenario approved. Like, everybody who's ever released a board gets a vote, and a single 'no' vote on a scenario means we don't do it. Create a forum thread for a board and give the community at least a week to weigh in. Something like that?

We could even do Hawaii first, as a test case...

Do we have access to create scenarios for boards whose designers have gone?

Edited Wed 7th Apr 19:14 [history]

5. #5 / 10
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+1 to scenarios

6. #6 / 10
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

+1 to your idea Ozy

7. #7 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

@asm, bring them over; we can help vet them. it's not like you have to port them and push them to live.

@ozy, i like the general idea. I'd definitely want to suss out some requirements first. I agree we need to set a high bar, but not sure how high. Some (like Ed & Risky) might be too random, even tho I'd HIGHLY want their input. I think this eventually gets us closer to a couple ideas what we (I?) want - 1) to pare down the options to make for more engagement which leads to more fun 2) combine our collective strengths to make some serious kick-ass boards; both new and revised

@all -- I'm waiting another response from Tom on adding scenarios (stemming from the other thread for Antastic). Some Good News (heh) is Tom is more than willing to allow one or two of us temporary rights to pull boards off to add the scenarios if we end up going that way. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 10
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ohhhh is Flash the only way to access the designer at all? Guess I should have realized that before starting this conversation... damn.

9. #9 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

he's got the new free-share flash replacement. here's the thread on how to work it.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 10
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Gotcha, thanks. I'll look into that - probably best not to do that on my work machine, and I don't currently have a personal machine set up so it might be a while either way.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)