177 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Someone in another thread mentioned someone else had a Dune map in development but the designer took a leave of absence (unknown return). It got my creative juices flowing as it's a series near and dear to me (not near and dear as Tolkien or Star Wars, but... there's some love there to share). So I spent a few days figuring out the graphics. 

I've uploaded the images into the designer (http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/9292). Still have to figure out gameplay (i somehow get bogged down there after creating the images...willing to take collaboration), and need input on which card set to use (i've got two sets loaded in). Feel free to play with the board/fill/fog transparencies to get a look at the whole of it. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

2. #2 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

beautiful map and cards.  No input on gameplay as it's been 20 years since I've read the books.

3. #3 / 12
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Can we access the designer without flash, yet? I'm getting a flash warning when I try to open your link.

4. #4 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yeah, just have to allow it (same as you did before). i didn't start loading it in until last night, so it must still be 'active' and just not supported as opposed to completely inactive.

if i could figure out the posting images from my local PC (i've got a msg out to tom about it) i'd post em in here. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Tue 5th Jan 13:45 [history]

5. #5 / 12
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

board is beautiful - I've read that browsers are suppose to stop loading flash after a certain date.. January 10 or 20ish.   But I don't see how that's possible if you don't update them.

6. #6 / 12
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

It's been a long time since I read the book - probably should dig it out again. (Actually fun story - I first read it in 5th grade for a book report and was apologetic to my teacher for not finishing it in time, and she was like "that's quite ok".) (Also I say "book" because I think I started the 2nd but never finished.)

Looking at your board again I am thinking increase the number of territories by having the dotted lines split your current territories into multiple sub-territories.

Then have continent bonuses for controlling your current territories (like +1 each) and maybe a bonus for getting one of the wedges.

The darker areas get border modifiers (like +1 attack and/or +1 defense)

The 5 iconned territories get collector (maybe factory) bonuses (like +1 each and +1 for each pair) - maybe artillery borders to each other  - and also get border modifiers (and start neutral)

I am not sure if this is novel accurate but I feel like the polar sink should be a fun/bad place. Say a +1 in hand bonus but a -2 factory.

Lastly - if you wanted to break up the "flat" territories in the west you could do a dotted ring about 1/2 way out polar-graph style and divide a bunch more up. 

Edited Fri 8th Jan 00:47 [history]

7. #7 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

thanks for the input Amidon.

yeah i'd already figured i would do different border modifiers for different territories (sand, rock, sietch). i [also] had wondered about adding more territories breaking things up along the longitude lines; considered making multiple scenarios - one with less, one with more territories.

also some unformed thoughts running around about making a few scenarios with different factions (atriedes, harkonnen, corrino (royals), bene gesserit, guild navigators, fremen) with each faction having different stats somehow. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Fri 8th Jan 01:01 [history]

8. #8 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Multiple Territories (still no borders loaded): 

http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/9294

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

9. #9 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

anyone have a preference on the cards? (the top 3d images or the bottom 2d logos)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #10 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

They both look so good.  I hate to choose.  Maybe use them both depending on the scenario.

11. #11 / 12
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Map looks good as do the cards - I agree with Ozy, perhaps use different ones for different scenarios. I would recommend, due to the limited amount of territories, of limiting number of players. Any recent work on this weather? Is the designer tool working for you?

12. #12 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i have not made the time since the new designer came out. only can access it at home (they locked down my work PC to only authorized programs :^{ which was where i ended up working on things most in my down time - i have less down time at home). i'll try to make a swing back into designing here soon.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)