178 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #41 / 58
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Nicklaus has had some business dealings with Trump and he and his charity have benefitted from some actions by the Trump administration and reciprocated with a full page ad endorsing Trump’s re-election campaign just prior to the election. He wrote about how great Trump was for people of all classes. As someone of a moderate liberal bent who absolutely despised Trump’s corrupt, authoratative, cultish, devisive politics as well as his faux populism this struck me as woefully out of touch. Of course, that’s my personal opinion. One man’s trash is apparently 74 million Americans’ treasure.

2. #42 / 58
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I see, thanks for the explanation.

I think Trump has the golf vote pretty solidly. After all, he played golf for much of his presidency, owns a lot of golf courses and engaged many golfers throughout their careers.

The Norwegian female golfer, Suzann Pettersen, also supported him despite mentioning that he cheats when playing. His drives always miraculously find the fairway, even when it defies the laws of physics. Caddie must be well paid. But he's always supported her, she said, so she wanted to return the favour. I don't know if she has any politics.

Edited Mon 29th Mar 12:55 [history]

3. #43 / 58
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That's politics.

4. #44 / 58
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:

I would guess that by the "registered players" metric soccer would also win in the USA. We even have a related phrase that has been very popular for many years: "soccer mom".

Can we all please stop and appreciate the term "metric soccer".   I give this a massive round of applause.

5. #45 / 58
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

I should start a thread regarding the ongoing disregard for commas in this century.... "Off Topic" might just be the spot.

;)

6. #46 / 58
    Standard Member zdisabled_b0c46970
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I treat the forums like texting, where the excepted rule is no grammar or spelling.

7. #47 / 58
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    asm wrote:

I would guess that by the "registered players" metric soccer would also win in the USA. We even have a related phrase that has been very popular for many years: "soccer mom".

Can we all please stop and appreciate the term "metric soccer".   I give this a massive round of applause.

I love the grammatical serendipity, but is "metric football" a better term to mean "American Soccer"? i.e.  what the rest of the world calls football.  

8. #48 / 58
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:
    BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    asm wrote:

I love the grammatical serendipity, but is "metric football" a better term to mean "American Soccer"? i.e.  what the rest of the world calls football.  

Good terms are hard to come by. My favourite term for your version is "gridiron" but I can't count on it being known enough to use it outside Norway.

9. #49 / 58
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

If you are a big enough fan of it, you will know the term.

10. #50 / 58
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:
    BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    asm wrote:

+1

11. #51 / 58
    Standard Member Mostly Harmless
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I have to put in a plug for rugby.   In my opinion, there is no team sport which has higher requirements for overall athleticism and intelligence.   Unfortunately, it is a game few play or understand here in the US, so it is difficult to fully appreciate.   This video gives a glimpse into just some of the skills required.  It does not highlight the power, toughness, and stamina required to play the sport.  
    https://youtu.be/UdyqOSWowE0

The US is slowly building a rugby program, but we have a long way to go to compete internationally.  When we are competitive, it's usually by fielding teams composed of international players.   Most American born players don't start until high school or college compared with international kids who are kicking and passing around balls at an early age and developing intuitive teamwork ability. 

For those looking for a basic understanding, this video provides a decent short overview.
    https://youtu.be/smnuRhNtT2E

If you're still intrigued, this video provides a more thorough explanation.
    https://youtu.be/FOJejnPI0p0

Finally, here is a video of a very good complete game:
    https://youtu.be/gSYdTFjWHgs 

12. #52 / 58
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Mostly Harmless wrote:

I have to put in a plug for rugby.   In my opinion, there is no team sport which has higher requirements for overall athleticism and intelligence.   Unfortunately, it is a game few play or understand here in the US, so it is difficult to fully appreciate.   This video gives a glimpse into just some of the skills required.  It does not highlight the power, toughness, and stamina required to play the sport.  
    https://youtu.be/UdyqOSWowE0

Ice hockey as well. You need high-level intelligence and athleticism, to be able to hit and get hit, to shoot, pass, and move around, on ice skates. It's always incredible to me how they do it. I have enough trouble walking around on my own two feet ; )

13. #53 / 58
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I love rugby. I enjoy watching sevens in particular, which I think is somewhat faster paced and wide open play. While of course I recognize the athleticism and intelligence on display, the much more gradual buildup of full field games is more difficult to appreciate.

Since we're here discussing sports, anyone else enjoying Euro 2020? I'm for Ukraine and Scotland this time around so it's been a difficult road so far.

14. #54 / 58
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I've missed most of Euro 202o due to being in full time caregiving mode, but hope to start watching some of the remaining games! Here's the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020

How can you watch it if you don't have cable? I have a TV  that's smarter than me, which I have a hard time navigating

15. #55 / 58
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Beats me. I'm still coughing up around $250 a month to Comcast pretty much entirely because I don't understand how I'd watch sports otherwise. We watch over 100 baseball games a year on the local Comcast affiliate. So I've been watching UEFA on ESPN.

16. #56 / 58
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Here in Europe they throw it at us. I can watch the Euro almost for free....but I don't. Never was much for team sports, I prefer to watch individual ones.

17. #57 / 58
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I think I have ESPN on my too-smart-for-me TV, thanks!

18. #58 / 58
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I had a huge project at work yesterday and could not take time to watch; I missed Ukraine's historic victory vs the Swedes. I'm so upset. Hopefully England play as poorly this weekend as they did in their match vs Scotland.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)