177 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #21 / 58
    Premium Member Twobeard
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Soccer/football is hugely popular in the USA. All sorts of fans here follow Euorpean leagues. More and more players in Europe are from the States - Dest. Though I am not a regular fan, the USMNT and USWNT are very exciting and beloved by many. 

2. #22 / 58
    Premium Member Twobeard
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

It's not a primarily European sport. It's the biggest sport in almost every American nation apart from the USA, including Canada, Mexico, most of Central America and all of South America - and also the biggest sport in most African nations and several Asian nations. 

Canada? Really? Bigger than their national sport: hockey? 

3. #23 / 58
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Twobeard wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

It's not a primarily European sport. It's the biggest sport in almost every American nation apart from the USA, including Canada, Mexico, most of Central America and all of South America - and also the biggest sport in most African nations and several Asian nations. 

I made a search for "Biggest sport in Canada" just to make sure, and if you believe search results they confirmed it. No other sport has more registered players.

Ice Hockey wins the search for most popular one, though. With lacrosse in 2nd and football/soccer in 3rd. Plus it wins most watched with football/soccer in 2nd. So maybe hockey deserves to be called the biggest there. We have several Canadian players here on WarGear, if one if them chips in I'll defer to him :)

4. #24 / 58
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:
    Twobeard wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

I made a search for "Biggest sport in Canada" just to make sure, and if you believe search results they confirmed it. No other sport has more registered players.

Ice Hockey wins the search for most popular one, though. With lacrosse in 2nd and football/soccer in 3rd. Plus it wins most watched with football/soccer in 2nd. So maybe hockey deserves to be called the biggest there. We have several Canadian players here on WarGear, if one if them chips in I'll defer to him :)

It was good to do other searches as registered players is definitely not the only factor in how popular a sport is. I would guess that fans and non professional play probably make up the biggest chunk of every sports popularity.

Like to play unique boards come join the Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

5. #25 / 58
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I would guess that by the "registered players" metric soccer would also win in the USA. We even have a related phrase that has been very popular for many years: "soccer mom".

6. #26 / 58
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:

I would guess that by the "registered players" metric soccer would also win in the USA. We even have a related phrase that has been very popular for many years: "soccer mom".

I made a search for "biggest sports in the USA by number of players" and got a result that your version of football was the most popular. Not what I asked. Adding registered doesn't help. Maybe there's no answer for that one. 

Most popular yields the same winner, not surprisingly since popular was what they answered for the first one.

TV ratings have in order: NFL, baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer/football in 5th. Then tennis as the most popular individual sport. Not many countries have an individual sport on top, so far I've only seen China (table tennis). and Indonesia (badminton).

For women soccer/football might be the biggest even in the USA, but women's football is a lot smaler than men's football in every other country in the world, at least in terms of popularity and spectators. Though the gap is shrinking. Maybe they'll eventually reach equality, who knows.

7. #27 / 58
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The 'biggest' sport by number of players and also in terms of popularity in the US is the NFL, with Baseball being second.

8. #28 / 58
    Standard Member zdisabled_b0c46970
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

If you are going by pro sports players, that would be because they have the biggest rosters.

9. #29 / 58
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How about by largest paychecks to individual athletes?  That would be a pretty good indicator of something as nebulous as "popularity."

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/highest-paid-athletes/45/

Soccer doesn't even make the list.

10. #30 / 58
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'm a sports fan once a year, more or less, when there's a world cup or summer olympics. I skipped watching sports last year since the Olympics were postponed. Hoping they aren't postponed again in 2021.

If I didn't have so many other interests and commitments (including WGW), I would totally binge-watch soccer every night, but then I wouldn't do a lot of other things that keep me sane and happy. Here's what I'm looking forward to in the next few years:

2021: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Olympic_Games

2022: https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/

2023: https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/

11. #31 / 58
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

How about by largest paychecks to individual athletes?  That would be a pretty good indicator of something as nebulous as "popularity."

Not true. That depends on salary cap. The NFL is way more popular than the MLB in the US, and the MLB has bigger contracts, I believe.

Edited Fri 26th Mar 08:45 [history]

12. #32 / 58
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

That's just US, isn't it? I found an international list with Roger Federer 1st, Cristiano Ronaldo 2nd, Lionel Messi 3rd, Neymar 4th and the best US athlete in 5th, a basketball player.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2893985-roger-federer-jumps-messi-ronaldo-tops-forbes-2020-highest-paid-athlete-list

Edited Fri 26th Mar 10:16 [history]

13. #33 / 58
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:
    M57 wrote:

That's just US, isn't it? I found an international list with Roger Federer 1st, Cristiano Ronaldo 2nd, Lionel Messi 3rd, Neymar 4th and the best US athlete in 5th, a basketball player.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2893985-roger-federer-jumps-messi-ronaldo-tops-forbes-2020-highest-paid-athlete-list

Right.. I saw that site as well.  My point is that while soccer might be the most popular sport in the world, it's certainly not so in the US.

14. #34 / 58
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

DeVine wrote:
    M57 wrote:

Not true. That depends on salary cap. The NFL is way more popular than the MLB in the US, and the MLB has bigger contracts, I believe.

Yes, salary caps have some biases, so they addmittedly distort my subjectively proposed "popularity value," but every sport has them. They nonetheless speak volumes.

The base salaries of the 15 highest paid US soccer players are not very close to the salaries of the stars in other US sports.

15. #35 / 58
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Litotes wrote:
    M57 wrote:

Right.. I saw that site as well.  My point is that while soccer might be the most popular sport in the world, it's certainly not so in the US.

I think we all agree on that :) Even us Europeans know well that you prefer the "big four", NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL, in one order or the other.

16. #36 / 58
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

That was my point.

Edited Fri 26th Mar 16:56 [history]

17. #37 / 58
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Damn it.. We're all making the same point!

18. #38 / 58
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I was just adding to Chele's comment.

USA is probably the only country in the world where soccer/football is not at least top-3. At least the only one with some size. No idea what they prefer on Micronesia, Palau and Tuvalu.

As for the original comment about US sports, those are quite small over here apart from ice hockey, and that sport was ruined for me by a couple of boys at school who were both hockey players and evil bullies. So I don't follow any of them. I don't follow soccer/football either even though that is definitely the biggest sport in Norway. I do pay some attention to sports in general, not as much as when I was DeVine's age.

19. #39 / 58
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Litotes wrote:

USA is probably the only country in the world where soccer/football is not at least top-3. At least the only one with some size. No idea what they prefer on Micronesia, Palau and Tuvalu.

As for the original comment about US sports, those are quite small over here apart from ice hockey, and that sport was ruined for me by a couple of boys at school who were both hockey players and evil bullies. So I don't follow any of them. I don't follow soccer/football either even though that is definitely the biggest sport in Norway. I do pay some attention to sports in general, not as much as when I was DeVine's age.

Yeah, I also find I'm following sports in general a bit less as I age, though maybe for different reasons than you Litotes. Nothing turns me off more than when one of my childhood 'sports heroes' turns out to be a major ass of a person (ie - Jimmy Connors, Jack Nicklaus). I reflect on how hard I rooted for both of them during their careers and now wish I hadn't spent the time or emotional attachment following them...and then I wonder about the current athletes and what the point is in watching them. Thankfully, Joe Montana has never failed his fans. :)

20. #40 / 58
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:
    Litotes wrote:

Yeah, I also find I'm following sports in general a bit less as I age, though maybe for different reasons than you Litotes. Nothing turns me off more than when one of my childhood 'sports heroes' turns out to be a major ass of a person (ie - Jimmy Connors, Jack Nicklaus). I reflect on how hard I rooted for both of them during their careers and now wish I hadn't spent the time or emotional attachment following them...and then I wonder about the current athletes and what the point is in watching them. Thankfully, Joe Montana has never failed his fans. :)

Tennis is one of the sports I've followed so I don't need you to tell me what Connors have done, but what has disappointed you about Nicklaus? Not saying you're wrong, just that I don't know.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)