2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 7
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How is everyone in this fine Pandemic?

Here in the UK we seem to be falling back - where restrictions were loosened off, are now tightening as we may be in a "second spike". Social gatherings banned for more than 6 people.. it was 30. Several cities have returned to full lockdown rules. Our "R-Number" is over 1, so the virus is expected to be spreading rapidly through the population again... grim times!

Off Topic!

2. #2 / 7
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Yuck - sorry to hear all that. 

I'm in upstate New York (rural-small cities). We are doing ok right now. Groups limited to 50 and has been for awhile. Rates are still pretty low.

Our bigger issue now is colleges and schools re-opened in Aug/Sept. One college had to immediately close because of an outbreak. My daughter is at another that is close to closing. I teach in a High School - 2nd week in with kids coming MW or TTh or not at all. Trying to teach is tough.

3. #3 / 7
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Near Boulder -- Colorado has been pretty low and stable during the entire pandemic, but Boulder County is recently spiking..  Happened right after students came back to town for University - probably not a coincidence.

My daughter's school (middle school) is currently online only, but they are talking about going back to a hybrid model next month.  I'm curious if they will stick with that if cases continue to skyrocket, but regardless we will be keeping her online 100% for the foreseeable future.    Wife and I are both software engineers and can easily work from home and support her schooling during the day, and she seems to be doing fine with virtual learning, so we are in no hurry to send her back to school.

We have cut off social interactions (not that big a deal as we are introverts and enjoy each other's company), but still go outside for lots of walks, play in the park, went camping, so we're not entirely stuck at home.

4. #4 / 7
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

No lockdown in Norway at the moment, just caution, and like in New York crowd numbers are limited. Infection rates have gone up again but mainly among younger people and so haven't led to many deaths so far.

5. #5 / 7
    Brigadier General Dud Dud is offline now
    Premium Member Dud
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I live in a nice lake town in South Carolina.  My wife is in health care and I am retired.  Fortunately we live on the lake with nobody really close by, makes social distancing easier to control.  Unfortunately, this is Trump country (Booths pop up on vacant intersections) and masks are often ridiculed.  We may not be a spiking area, but it is hard to imagine we will get this under any form of control as too many people believe covid to be a political myth.....

6. #6 / 7
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

Yuck - sorry to hear all that. 

I'm in upstate New York (rural-small cities). We are doing ok right now. Groups limited to 50 and has been for awhile. Rates are still pretty low.

Our bigger issue now is colleges and schools re-opened in Aug/Sept. One college had to immediately close because of an outbreak. My daughter is at another that is close to closing. I teach in a High School - 2nd week in with kids coming MW or TTh or not at all. Trying to teach is tough.

I hear you. I'm in San Antonio, TX right now and while we were a top 10 county for months were in 3 straight weeks of decline. However, Texas school board says no more distance (only) learning starting Oct. 5th and I expect it to explode about 2-3 weeks later. 

And, I agree teaching has been rough. I'm working 10-13 hours a day trying to teach a full AP high school schedule effectively.  My base day starts with a 7 am in person meeting and ends at 5pm at the end of our "wrap-up meeting". 

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...

7. #7 / 7
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm in CA, in the SF Bay Area. We had a very high adoption rate when the initial shutdown guidelines came out, so cases are fairly controlled (relatively speaking). Restaurants re-opened for outdoor dining last month, but all schools are remote only.

Professionally, my wife and I both had no trouble transitioning to 100% remote. We have a 4yo and almost 2yo. We cut off 100% of nonessential contact in March, which included our entire families - and our moms were providing most of our childcare. My eldest had been in preschool for less than a year and we pulled him out when they re-opened in June. So managing both kids and two jobs has been our biggest challenge, just keeping the kids busy as well as stimulated. We had to relax our restrictions on screen time, for instance.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)