212 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #21 / 45
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Completely understand Kjeld's reasoning.

It's a good thing to remove the name Hordes, which definitely has a negative connotation, IMO.

It will probably be too much work for tom to fix, and probably not worth it.

Though it may be worth adding a note about name changing of boards in the board maker wiki.

Edited Fri 11th Sep 11:30 [history]

2. #22 / 45
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Note that I have also asked Tom about changing the names of my other two boards in this series to simply China and North America for similar reasons. Hopefully he can make that change on the back-end without any impact on scores or rankings.

3. #23 / 45
    Standard Member Renegade83
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Didn't realize. I play games like crusader kings and rome: total war while listening to dan carlin, so the first thing that came to mind were mongol tribes or germanic naked fanatics in a historical context.

Thanks for the explanation :)

4. #24 / 45
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>germanic naked fanatics

?!?!?!?!??!

5. #25 / 45
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Renegade83 wrote:

Didn't realize. I play games like crusader kings and rome: total war while listening to dan carlin, so the first thing that came to mind were mongol tribes or germanic naked fanatics in a historical context.

Lol. I love the whole Total War Series.  Speaking as a history teacher, I love that recent events are causing more people in the U.S. to think more complexly about the meanings of things like word choices and the frameworks through which they see the world and how others might see them. No matter what side of the political spectrum any time people can start seeing things from others perspectives even when they disagree I call it a win for humanity. Any time people fanatically hold to any truth despite outside evidence a loss. 

German Naked Fanatics for instance. While known for violence & savagery in a violent age Germans had a much more egalitarian society than the "noble" Romans that enslaved up to half their ownpopulace...

Fortune favors the bold, and chance favors the prepared mind...
    Edited Sat 12th Sep 21:08 [history]

6. #26 / 45
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It is a good trend INAT, but unfortunately there’s still 40% of the US who refuse to even consider another perspective. And they’d sooner vote for a chimpanzee than someone not in their tribe/cult. And I don’t think that 40% will ever open their minds, It is quite a sad state of affairs.

7. #27 / 45
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:
    Renegade83 wrote:

Lol. I love the whole Total War Series.  Speaking as a history teacher, I love that recent events are causing more people in the U.S. to think more complexly about the meanings of things like word choices and the frameworks through which they see the world and how others might see them. No matter what side of the political spectrum any time people can start seeing things from others perspectives even when they disagree I call it a win for humanity. Any time people fanatically hold to any truth despite outside evidence a loss. 

German Naked Fanatics for instance. While known for violence & savagery in a violent age Germans had a much more egalitarian society than the "noble" Romans that enslaved up to half their ownpopulace...

German tribes of that age had one fatal flaw, speaking of their historical legacy - they didn't write. The Romans did. So what we know of the Romans we have from themselves, and what we know of Germanic tribes we have from their enemies.

Of course, in reality the Vandals, Goths, Huns and the rest were no worse than the Romans.

Similarly the Vikings were no worse than their enemies, but likewise they didn't write anything down.

History is written by the winners, except when the winners doesn't write at all....

8. #28 / 45
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I dunno, the Vikings ‘may’ have been worse then their enemies. 🧐

9. #29 / 45
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: I dunno, the Vikings ‘may’ have been worse then their enemies. 🧐

If they had written their story you wouldn't think so. But they didn't. 

10. #30 / 45
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Haha, you wouldn’t consider yourself impartial in that judgement, would you? 🤨

11. #31 / 45
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: Haha, you wouldn’t consider yourself impartial in that judgement, would you? 🤨

Of course i consider myself impartial. I have no affection for anyone living more than 1000 years ago and can look at it impassionately. The Viking warriors were certainly not people I identify with. They behaved terribly. But so did every army back then. And remember it was mostly a defensive war for the Northerners. They were fighting against Christian attempts to monopolize the religious scene in Europe. And ultimately lost, of course, having to replace their own deities. The Christian conquerors went on to take much of the rest of the world as well.

12. #32 / 45
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sorry about this everyone!

I've restored the original HOA rankings to the new Africa board. For now, the 41 games played in the interim on the new version of the board are not included in the rankings, I will need to run a full stats reindex to fix those.

I've also fixed the bug in the board renaming code so this shouldn't happen again.

13. #33 / 45
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Thanks Tom!

Like to play unique boards come join the Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

14. #34 / 45
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thanks tom!

15. #35 / 45
    Standard Member zdisabled_b0c46970
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:

Thanks tom!

+1

16. #36 / 45
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Nice work tom :)

17. #37 / 45
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Awesome news!

Off Topic!

18. #38 / 45
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I was kinda hoping that the old rankings would stay lost so I could forget them and start anew. This board is the first one that really gave me a losing streak and I played until I won one.

I was hoping the new name would give me a new chance, so I joined three and am losing badly in all of them. So it is just as well.

(Kidding of course - Thanks tom!)

19. #39 / 45
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

With it being a new board, I threw up 10 big games for everyone to jump on.

Even with the merger, the number of games played on this map is too low!

Off Topic!

20. #40 / 45
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Aiken Drumn wrote:

With it being a new board, I threw up 10 big games for everyone to jump on.

Even with the merger, the number of games played on this map is too low!

Agreed and good effort Aiken

Like to play unique boards come join the Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)