181 Open Daily games
0 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 45
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I just noticed that the board Hordes of Africa (http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/759) has been "retired" and does not show up in the boards list anymore. Though it seems that you can still create a game on the board from its page.

An equivalent board has come up Africa (http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Africa/About), with completely new rankings, but for some reason the rating score has been carried over from the old board (though not the actual ratings).

This seems odd. Does anyone have know why this was done? Kjeld maybe?

Have noticed this once before too, on another board, but can't recall which it was.

IMO, at the least, a link to the old board should on the new one, and vice-versa. Ideally, board replacements should also be mentioned in the forums.

2. #2 / 45
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Pretty sure I remember Kjeld saying he was doing this, but I don't remember the details.

3. #3 / 45
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Personally this is a bit upsetting as it is one of the boards I have performed the best on. 

I would appreciate someone explaining what this helps to achieve?

Off Topic!

4. #4 / 45
    Premium Member Mad Bomber
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

Where did my points go?

i want equal amounts of blueberry's
    I play on any field of battle...not just three boards

5. #5 / 45
    Standard Member zdisabled_b0c46970
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

Pretty sure I remember Kjeld saying he was doing this, but I don't remember the details.

Why don't you PM him and ask?

6. #6 / 45
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote: Where did my points go?

To others. After the most recent finished games you now rank 11th on the board. The top-10 still have their points. 

7. #7 / 45
    Premium Member Mad Bomber
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

Thanks Litotes! When I go to board rankings it only shows a few people with points....

i want equal amounts of blueberry's
    I play on any field of battle...not just three boards

8. #8 / 45
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote: Thanks Litotes! When I go to board rankings it only shows a few people with points....

I see all of them. From BlackDog with 20 to genghis with 1, achieved with a board ranking of 1316 to your 1305.

Several of the top-10 improved this year so you probably fell out quite recently.

I can only see page 1, though. No idea who is ranked 31st.

Edited Wed 9th Sep 17:25 [history]

9. #9 / 45
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

@Mad Bomber: Your points were on the old board ( http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/759 ). But have now gone, because you are no longer in the top 10 there.

The new board (http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Africa/About) has a new set of rankings, which is what you are probably looking at now. So, are now 20 people with points for that board!

To Litotes' point, yes the shift of the board has definitely messed up some rankings, and possible some stats too. If you go to page 2 of the rankings of the old board, you get the message:

Board 'Hordes of Africa' not found in database

It seems that the name of the board has been changed from Hordes of Africa, to just a number. But in some places, the original name is still trying to be accessed, which is messing things up.

Edited Thu 10th Sep 03:00 [history]

10. #10 / 45
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:

The new board (http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Africa/About) has a new set of rankings, which is what you are probably looking at now. So, are now 20 people with points for that board!

15, strictly speaking, as only five players have gone above 1050 until now. But will likely be 20 soon.

I've seen ranking issues on other boards also, when changes are made.

11. #11 / 45
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

To clarify, I wanted to change the name of the board to simply 'Africa', since I have long regretted the negative connotations of the original name. I didn't see a way to do this apart from retiring the old board and replacing it.

I apologize that I didn't consider the implications for rankings in making this decision, and in retrospect it would have been a good idea to check with Tom to see if he could just change the name of the board manually so as to preserve the rankings. At this point, he may still be able to resolve the mess manually, but it's a larger problem now... =(

12. #12 / 45
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

"Hoards" is the game type though.. and its not unique to an African Map setting?

#EDIT: I appreciate all map makers efforts and bow down regarding your efforts giving me a unique and varied worlds to play in!

Off Topic!
    Edited Thu 10th Sep 10:47 [history]

13. #13 / 45
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Aiken Drumn wrote:

"Hoards" is the game type though.. and its not unique to an African Map setting?

#EDIT: I appreciate all map makers efforts and bow down regarding your efforts giving me a unique and varied worlds to play in!

Exactly, so it's accurate in that sense, but can also mean something very different which I do not want associated with my board. I also have a Hordes of China and a Hordes of North America board, and will likely change those names as well (but I'll hold off until I figure out how to do that without screwing up the old rankings).

14. #14 / 45
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

To clarify, I wanted to change the name of the board to simply 'Africa', since I have long regretted the negative connotations of the original name. I didn't see a way to do this apart from retiring the old board and replacing it.

I apologize that I didn't consider the implications for rankings in making this decision, and in retrospect it would have been a good idea to check with Tom to see if he could just change the name of the board manually so as to preserve the rankings. At this point, he may still be able to resolve the mess manually, but it's a larger problem now... =(

Sadly, I was introduced to the Hordes of Africa board in it's retirement tournament and was left wanting realizing it was being retired. Thank you for the explanation of the noble reason why, hopefully it could just be resolved by Tom intervening with simple name changes across  those boards and Africa would have the option for playing either version like other boards here  (Fantastica comes to mind). Imagine a solution making everyone happy for a change, can't imagine Tom not getting that done.

15. #15 / 45
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

To clarify, I wanted to change the name of the board to simply 'Africa', since I have long regretted the negative connotations of the original name. 

{#emotions_dlg.clap} {#emotions_dlg.clap} {#emotions_dlg.clap}

16. #16 / 45
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Indeed, the simple name change would have been the best and easiest course of action. Tom has been able to rename a board or two of my maps without impact to ratings. Sadly, several years ago I tried retiring boards ostensibly to give them a rework and rename and found out the hard way about the impact to ratings. Hence, going the rename route for the last couple such changes.

17. #17 / 45
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: Indeed, the simple name change would have been the best and easiest course of action. Tom has been able to rename a board or two of my maps without impact to ratings. Sadly, several years ago I tried retiring boards ostensibly to give them a rework and rename and found out the hard way about the impact to ratings. Hence, going the rename route for the last couple such changes.

Yeah, I always have to learn my lessons the hard way, it seems!

18. #18 / 45
    Standard Member Renegade83
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

What is negative about hordes?

Just to clarify, not looking to start a fight about political correctness.

19. #19 / 45
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

The definition seems neutral - (From Mirriam-Webster)

Definition of horde

1aa political subdivision of central Asian nomads

ba people or tribe of nomadic life
    2a large unorganized group of individuals a teeming crowd or throng
    "hordes of peasants"

But notice the connotation in the example. The word is used most often to describe large groups of uneducated, mindless or destructive people/animals/zombies.

Edited Fri 11th Sep 08:34 [history]

20. #20 / 45
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

^^ Precisely. Thanks, Amidon!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)