Standard Member zyx
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

According to my profile at the time of this post, this is my Global Rank:

NVW3EP7.png

But according to my Ranking History, this is my Global Rank:

Az0V9un.png

Aren't those two numbers supposed to be the same?

I would prefer not to hear anything about "after the re-index blablabla."  I've been hearing that same line for years.  It means nothing, because I have never seen those two numbers match, and I'll bet they don't match for anyone reading this post, either.

I guess what I would like to know is how is it possible for that vital statistic to ever get out of sync in the first place, because that would explain why it is always out of sync.

2. #2 / 19
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

It's because tom hasn't been able to to a stat recalc yet. Remember those games counting as double/multiple wins/losses? They affect one, but not the other.

I had a substantial difference that disappeared after a previous recalc back in 2017 or 2018. Now they haven't been equal for a long time.

Edited Sun 7th Jun 06:24 [history]

3. #3 / 19
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

In addition to games counting multiple times when the site had issues, another cause for the difference in ranking difference is due to banned users. For some reason, these issues affect one of the ranking more than the other (but both will be different from the ranking you get after a recalc). Both rankings were the same for me before the last huge multiban (or nolan plays and his other accounts), and since then, they have differed.

You may not want to hear about the recalc, but that is the only fix to this. Yes, after a recalc, both rankings are the same. The problem with that is that tom rarely ever runs a recalc. So, discrepancies stay for months and months and months.

4. #4 / 19
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Since the last huge multi-ban, my "ranking history" is a whole 500 points(!!!) more than the ranking on my profile.

5. #5 / 19
    Private zyx zyx is offline now
    Standard Member zyx
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:

You may not want to hear about the recalc, but that is the only fix to this.

No.  I flatly disagree with this.  There is a fundamental coding deficiency if the same equations are not used to calculate both numbers, regardless how many times the site hiccuped and added a game twice, or subtracted games because of a banned player.  Recalcs are band-aids to cover up the symptoms of this discrepancy, not a fix.  Indeed, when viewing a profile page, the number shown for Global Rank should be read directly from the Ranking History value at that moment.  I don't understand why that is not already done.

Edited Sun 7th Jun 09:46 [history]

6. #6 / 19
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Problem with making them equal is that ranking history is the one treating double counted games correctly, while global rank is the one treating the issue of banned users correctly. None of them stand up to both kind of mistakes.

7. #7 / 19
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

I'm sorry, but the irony of a "banned player" whining about a minor discrepancy in their Global ranking which may in fact be caused by the adjustment to rank based on games with "banned players"  is something to behold.

Somebody had to say it.

8. #8 / 19
    Standard Member zyx
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

The issue is the issue, regardless who posted about it.   If weathertop or M57 had made this post, would it make any difference?  No.  The only difference is your prejudicial discrimination of the poster, and would be no different than the discrimination of you being white and me being black.

9. #9 / 19
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

zyx wrote:

The issue is the issue, regardless who posted about it.   If weathertop or M57 had made this post, would it make any difference?  No.  The only difference is your prejudicial discrimination of the poster, and would be no different than the discrimination of you being white and me being black.

The irony is there for all to see, if you don't see it that would be your problem. weathertop and M57 weren't banned for being an asshole.

Your response to my comment quantifiably confirms Tom's criteria was in fact correct.

10. #10 / 19
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

zyx wrote:
    Pratik wrote:

You may not want to hear about the recalc, but that is the only fix to this.

No.  I flatly disagree with this.  There is a fundamental coding deficiency if the same equations are not used to calculate both numbers, regardless how many times the site hiccuped and added a game twice, or subtracted games because of a banned player.  Recalcs are band-aids to cover up the symptoms of this discrepancy, not a fix.  Indeed, when viewing a profile page, the number shown for Global Rank should be read directly from the Ranking History value at that moment.  I don't understand why that is not already done.

I absolutely agree with you.

The fact that it is possible for the two rankings to differ is a fundamental fallacy in the way the rankings are calculated.

However, when I said that the recalc is the only way to fix this, I was taking into account the reality of this website.

We have to accept that tom is not going to make major changes in the code of the site. He will do enough to sort out major issues (like what happened recently), take care of minor bugs here and there in particular games, ban multi-accounts, and other such things.  But he isn't going to invest time into making adding functionality or improving aspects like ranking that are working for the most part (with hotfixes here and there).

11. #11 / 19
    Premium Member Pratik
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

hootz72 wrote:

I'm sorry, but the irony of a "banned player" whining about a minor discrepancy in their Global ranking which may in fact be caused by the adjustment to rank based on games with "banned players"  is something to behold.

Somebody had to say it.

Have to disagree here. There is no reason to get personal.

You may not like the OP, but his point is definitely very valid.

There is a flaw in at least one of the two rankings that are supposed to be the same.

Since I posted last, someone pointed out a ranking discrepancy to me, that indicates that maybe even a recalc may not solve the issue. If that is the case, the ranking problem is even bigger.

There is definitely no reason to reprimand someone for pointing such issues out. Someone has to highlight the issues (possible repeatedly) for it to be fixed.

12. #12 / 19
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Pratik wrote:
    hootz72 wrote:

Somebody had to sa

Have to disagree here. There is no reason to get personal.

You may not like the OP, but his point is definitely very valid.

There is a flaw in at least one of the two rankings that are supposed to be the same.

Since I posted last, someone pointed out a ranking discrepancy to me, that indicates that maybe even a recalc may not solve the issue. If that is the case, the ranking problem is even bigger.

There is definitely no reason to reprimand someone for pointing such issues out. Someone has to highlight the issues (possible repeatedly) for it to be fixed.

I pointed out the irony involved, regardless of the validity of the whining, if you don't see the irony, that is on you. Not sure where I reprimanded him. If there is an issue, the OP should have posted in the "Support" forum maybe not the  "General Discussion"  forum.   His response to me with the black/white reference is reprimand worthy, however, as it may be the stupidest thing posted on the internet today.

And for the record I treat each and every individual that Tom has "banned for being and asshole" exactly the same. No prejudice whatsoever.

13. #13 / 19
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yep, I concur with hootz. I definitely see the irony involved.

Now, with regard to the coding design, this ‘could’ simply be a timing issue. And zyx, there may very well be good reason why certain equations are used at the time they are used. Neither of us should pretend to know the design for the site. Only Tom can speak to that.

14. #14 / 19
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>it may be the stupidest thing posted on the internet today.

Let's not get crazy.

15. #15 / 19
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote: Yep, I concur with hootz. I definitely see the irony involved.

Now, with regard to the coding design, this ‘could’ simply be a timing issue. And zyx, there may very well be good reason why certain equations are used at the time they are used. Neither of us should pretend to know the design for the site. Only Tom can speak to that.

+1

However, I think restraint is in order all around. If zyx's post was composed more as a request and bit less as a criticism, I think we all could have avoided this unpleasantness.

The reality is that Tom has hundreds of outstanding "requests" to create, update or fix things. Perhaps as many are on the designer side of things as on the player side.  zyx is relatively new to the forums and may not realize this and that most of these may never see the light of day, certainly not if Tom continues to run the show by himself.  Consider that these days, nothing 'round here is going to be fixed if it ain't broken.

FWIW, Tom rarely makes posts on these forums, so when his most recent post implied that the looming demise of Flash is on his radar, I would take that to men that it has been pushed to the top of his to-do list.

And @zyx, just gentle reminder that in the eyes of many here you are still on double-secret probation.  You're gonna have to tread lightly with the complaints and roll with a punch or two.

Edited Mon 8th Jun 06:59 [history]

16. #16 / 19
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

zyx wrote:

Woah, this is no different from white / black discrimination??

Some people have learned absolutely nothing from the torture and death of George Floyd

17. #17 / 19
    Standard Member zyx
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

And @zyx, just gentle reminder that in the eyes of many here you are still on double-secret probation.  

4ba455b7-84ef-4e0f-90e1-ffaf472133cd_text.gif

18. #18 / 19
    Standard Member Aiken Drumn
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

hootz72 wrote:

Somebody had to say it.

Oh Snap! {#emotions_dlg.rofl}

Off Topic!

19. #19 / 19
    Standard Member keedy black
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

zyx wrote:
    M57 wrote:

And @zyx, just gentle reminder that in the eyes of many here you are still on double-secret probation.  

4ba455b7-84ef-4e0f-90e1-ffaf472133cd_text.gif

Old habits dying hard? 7 boots in the last 30 days? 

"With regard to my conduct, I would like to say that I have reformed.  I do not stall or boot any more.  I do not play vindictively any more, I only play to win.  And I do not cuss anymore.  Indeed, since camel I have not said a single word to anyone in any form in any game.

To anyone I have wronged and/or offended in the past, I humbly and sincerely apologize.  It will never happen again, if Tom grants me the mercy to retain this account."

What would your global score be if it were possible to merge the records of all your previous accounts? 

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)